First try at hot sauce

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Time2Retire

Reaction score
20220716_122155.jpg

I made an all-chili (no tomatillos) salsa Verde and it was pretty good, so I thought I'd try red sauce.

Two large red bell peppers. About six yellow chilies. Two dried Hatch and half a dozen dried japonesas. Half a white onion and 4 cloves garlic. I used a brine of about 2½T kosher salt in a liter of water. Let it ferment for about six weeks, in a Crazy Korean Cooking fermenter. (Edit: After about two weeks, I got impatient and tossed in a little bit of homemade sauerkraut). Into the Cuisinart with about half a cup of brine, a little soy sauce, and balsamic vinegar. Strained it and Bob's your uncle.

I prefer it to most of the supermarket stuff. Heat level is a little hotter than Frank's and it doesn't have the strong vinegar tang of the store-bought sauces. Nice complexity. I'm encouraged, will do it again.

Last edited:
sounds good! Guess I'll have to try that too.

my sauerkraut didn't work out this time too well, got some brown patches and doesn't smell good anymore. guess I'll have to get some stones or something to weigh it down.
Well most of the stuff got eaten before it got bad, so no real struggle...

sounds good! Guess I'll have to try that too.

my sauerkraut didn't work out this time too well, got some brown patches and doesn't smell good anymore. guess I'll have to get some stones or something to weigh it down.
Well most of the stuff got eaten before it got bad, so no real struggle...
Try one of these:

Crazy Korean Cooking Premium Kimchi, Sauerkraut Fermentation and Storage Container with Inner Vacuum Lid (0.4 Gal Sandy Brown (1.7L)) Amazon.com: Crazy Korean Cooking Premium Kimchi, Sauerkraut Fermentation and Storage Container with Inner Vacuum Lid (0.4 Gal Sandy Brown (1.7L)): Home & Kitchen

I don't own stock in the company, but I have five of them and I use them all the time. Sauerkraut, kimchi, kvass, they do it all.

i know of those boxes, but i got some (a lot of) nice glass gars for fermenting. The only problem is they charge about 20 bucks for one stone, and i'll need about 20.
I gotta see what I can use for that.

I helped my granddaughter make some hot sauce last week. Her plan is to sell it to friends and neighbors. It has been many months working on the marketing, packaging and label with her. Good times!

Attachments

• C2159FC2-7FBA-436B-AF2C-42E5865C39E8.jpeg
    C2159FC2-7FBA-436B-AF2C-42E5865C39E8.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
I helped my granddaughter make some hot sauce last week. Her plan is to sell it to friends and neighbors. It has been many months working on the marketing, packaging and label with her. Good times!

i want to try it, can i be the first customer?

i know of those boxes, but i got some (a lot of) nice glass gars for fermenting. The only problem is they charge about 20 bucks for one stone, and i'll need about 20.
I gotta see what I can use for that.

If they have traditional mason jar mouths, there are plastic vacuum lids that screw on and then you pull the air out which avoids the whole issue of needing to weigh down whatever is in the jar. They aren't super cheap either but a little cheaper and you can keep them as lids on the jar as you eat through it and draw out the air when you open it.

Back