Homemade hot sauce recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see some bubbles today maybe it is the best to ferment only chillies and salt.
I sent everything i do :)

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication
Leonardo da Vinci

I guess you could call it hot sauce or hot brine. Just canned 8 quart glasses of first jalapeno harvest this year.

In about 6 months the liquid from the canned jalapenos will make the best "hot sauce" brine for pork chops.

February pork chop grilling party is the best party of the year!

omg,,what an lactobacillus activity, white is good :) ... how we arange that you send some of the seeds in CROATIA :) ;)
my inventory: red savina
scotch bonnet
scorpion moruga
bhut jolokia
habanero red
habanero orange
cayenne :)
red christmass bell :)

I like doing the salt layer myself hoppydaze. It keeps it sanitary, inhibits infection, allows gas escape, then you mix it right in to season it.

I like doing the salt layer myself hoppydaze. It keeps it sanitary, inhibits infection, allows gas escape, then you mix it right in to season it.

I didn't do it right. Your mash is more of a paste. Mine was just chopped veggies and the juices absorbed the salt. There's no crust but it's fermenting and smells great.

I didn't do it right. Your mash is more of a paste. Mine was just chopped veggies and the juices absorbed the salt. There's no crust but it's fermenting and smells great.

I was thinking your peppers look a little coarsely chopped. Do they break down to a liquid consistency or remain chunky like that?

The fermentation does not change the consistency...I usually make a sauce later on and I blend it down then. I like having the chunks to put on my eggs and potatoes.

The fermentation does not change the consistency...I usually make a sauce later on and I blend it down then. I like having the chunks to put on my eggs and potatoes.

Sounds good to me! Eggs cry out for a good hot sauce, no matter how you make 'em.

a little sugestion :) do not put onions in too big ratio with peppers,,taste weird,,it is thich, hot ,, but weird :)

Question : im in doubt should i mash my pappers in food mill before fermentation or chop it on smaller piesec and then put something for weight ??

GImme your pros and cons , + and - sides,,judgeing to your experience,so i can easily deacide ??? Im doing third fermentation and every time i mash it in food mill till now :)

thanks guys :)

a little sugestion :) do not put onions in too big ratio with peppers,,taste weird,,it is thich, hot ,, but weird :)

Question : im in doubt should i mash my pappers in food mill before fermentation or chop it on smaller piesec and then put something for weight ??

GImme your pros and cons , + and - sides,,judgeing to your experience,so i can easily deacide ??? Im doing third fermentation and every time i mash it in food mill till now :)

thanks guys :)

I agree, I don't like onions in my hot sauce either. Garlic however, I can't get enough of it. I completely mash my peppers in a food mill until smooth and liquid. I never tried coarsely chopping it. I do like the look of Hoppydaze mixture in the photo he posted above. Maybe he can answer your questions, I'm listening too. :)

:) Sorry,,i mean do you procesing your mash before fermentation , im scared of mold :D:D:D

Processing your mash prior to fermentation may eliminate air pockets, make smaller surface area for infection, so will help with preventing mold growth in my experience.

But on blog they told me it is bigger posibility to get mold then ?

I don't know matew90, I think if properly airlocked and using sanitized equipment, kept from too long exposure to air movement, then some mold growth can be eliminated. Others here may have better answers.

But on blog they told me it is bigger posibility to get mold then ?

Keep everything submerged in brine and you should be ok. I just use a baggie with water in it to keep everything under the brine. I rough chop when I ferment and then run through a food processor after. Thehotpepper.com has lots of info to help out.

or a piece of cabbage on top to help submerge everything. I bought these off amazon and they work great on top of a piece of cabbage to keep the mash submerged. They are a bit overpriced for chunks of glass, but I figured I'll have them forever and I do a lot of fermenting. They are great paper weights too. Actually, now that I think about it I'm going to return those and just use shot glasses. LOL

The cabbage will almost definitely have some mold on it...simply toss it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sauce I made with yellow 7 pot brain strain, yellow scotch bonnet, yellow ghost and peach ghost. Added a little honey, vinegar, garlic and salt.

I dehydrated the mash and processed into this spice powder. I forgot to mention above that I also added some pineapple in the pepper mixture. The powder is really good, had some sprinkled on some chicken tonight.

View attachment 1442708648161.jpg

Very cool, richbrew. Did you have to pulverize it after it came out of the dehydrate to get it to the powder constancy? How does it taste? I bet it would make a nice rub.

Very cool, richbrew. Did you have to pulverize it after it came out of the dehydrate to get it to the powder constancy? How does it taste? I bet it would make a nice rub.

Just used a coffee grinder, mixed in a little garlic and celery salt. It tastes very good, sprinkled some on a chicken breast. It does pack a punch so this bottle will last awhile. Need to do some research on anti-caking.

I have more peppers than I can use for a couple batches of beer. So I looked up recipes for pepper sauces. This vinegar-based one looks interesting, & is very Southern. I'll be using ghosts, fatalli's & scorpions. https://ourdailybrine.com/southern-pepper-sauce-recipe/ It also seems from the list of videos on youtrub that the way y'all do it is common & accepted practice. I gotta do this & come up with a hellfire hot sauce the Devil would cringe at the sight of...

Harvested some pods today and started a ferment
View attachment 301609View attachment 301610

Only fermented for a couple of weeks because I had some mold growing. I need an air tight vessel or that will continue to happen.

So I decided to make a sauce out of the mash tonight.

Added:
3 cups chopped pineapple
2.5 TBL brown sugar
3.5 cups water
.75 cups white vinegar
2 TBL lime juice

Soft boil for 15 minutes, blended to desired texture, simmer 40 minutes.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1442986335.253697.jpg

Well, I wanna make a small recipe that uses 3 ghosts, but torn between the carrots kind & tomato stuff. With cilantro, sweet onion, garlic, salt-n-pepper, white or cider vinegar. Then a batch with two handfuls scorpions, with some ghosts & fatalii's. Same seasoning I thought?

The peppa sauce article was interesting. I need a low-salt hot sauce and that looks like it could fit the bill very nicely!

Does look good for a quick-n-easy, all purpose sauce, doesn't it? Might just try that one too. Wanna make at least two different sauces. * I showed my wife the peppa sauce article, & she said she's been wanting to make something like that! She also saved some small, 8-10oz square rum bottle sorta shaped ones from lemongrass/olive oil with man-made fancy corks! Cha- ching! Guess i'll be makin' peppa sauce while waiting on the mash tomorrow?!

I have some fresh Trinidad (i think maruga) Scorpion peppers if anyone is interested.

Yeah, thanks btw! I'll be making peppa sauce with'em & the left-over ghosts & fatalii's. Should be...interesting on some black-eyed peas & greens...

Guys. I have made my first lactofermented hot sauce by instruction given on this blog. Thank you very much :)

i have a question... My hot sauce ismaybe to salty or acidic. How can i make it little less acidic. I put 4% of salt in my mash and that it ??
Help help :)

20150924_110918[1].jpg

Very good question. My ferments always end up too salty for my tastes. Curious to see if someone has a suggestion.

Started some Southern Peppa sauce tonight.
Contents:
A bunch of searingly hot long skinny peppers,
a bunch of thicker, finger length peppers with heat and flavor from the indian grocery;
a jalepeno in each jar and 3 cherry hots as well.
One jar is straight apple cider vinegar, the other is 80% rice wine vinegar and 20% apple cider vinegar.
No garlic - I forgot to get the cloves ready. If it needs it, I'll get some of that minced garlic in a jar and add it later.

2015-09-24 22.31.15.jpg

I was gonna make mine yesterday, but brew day was a series of unfortunate events. so it'll get done today to use up some super hots in cider vinegar & chopped garlic.

I'm currently fermenting my first batch. I split it and did half with vinegar to use immediately. Since it was going into the fridge I relied on the vinegar to preserve it and put very little salt in.

The recipes I've seen say that if you are using whey for fermenting, you don't need nearly as much salt because the fermentation begins very quickly.

As for ones that are already too salty, I might try diluting them with white wine or fruit juice.

My batch was
Mango
Papaya
Scotch bonnets
Garlic
Onion
Cinnamon
Cloves
Allspice
Nutmeg

I am not straining the vinegar batch, but I whirled the hell out of it in a food processor.

I quit making hot sauce because I finally realized I don't use as much of it as I thought I did. :eek:

I still have lots of stuff that I made 2-3 years ago...

We've got 3-8.5oz lemon/olive oil bottles that're square with a short bottle neck & colored like Coke glass. Fancy man-made corks that fit tight. I'm still debating on whether they need to be refrigerated or not, seeing as how the vinegar isn't diluted?

Oh yeah, love hot peppers! When I cut up 2 ghost chiles for the boil yesterday, I put'em in those little 3oz bathroom cups I use to weigh hops & such. Had to get a whiff, & noticed a bright, fruity aroma laced with fresh citrus. Soaking bottles in PBW to get'em a lil cleaner & ghope the labels come off. Will have to make the peppa sauce tomorrow. At least I'm getting things cleaned up after brew day yesterday. The smooth yellow ones in there look like the original African fatalii's? Interesting flavors & aromas from super hots...:rockin:

Back