Homemade hot sauce recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1411750752.108203.jpg

I bottled my latest batch of fermented hot sauce recently and it turned out fantastic. I ended up trying the no-boil method with lots of vinegar. I just about doubled the volume with the vinegar and it tastes amazing.

Finally made some today. This is my process of juicing the peppers and then recombining them with salt. It's worked really well for me the last few years. I keep wanting to make some sauce with just the psychotically hot pepper nectar, but haven't. I used about 75% cayenne chilis with a 25% blend of yellow morugas, ImageUploadedByHome Brew1412645184.375942.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1412645203.136023.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1412645219.428019.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1412645234.832080.jpgbhuts, Trinidad scorpions, and mushroom peppers. Really hot stuff. Then to be silly I poured a little liquor off the top of Chef Rex's sourdough starter into the pepper mixture. Then it went into the pantry where it will at some point hopefully explode into my wife's eyes. Then I put some carrots, celery, and tomatoes through the juicer. It's like V-8 for satan. Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

So a few weeks ago I was trolling the manager's special shelf at the supermarket and saw these gorgeous little multicolored peppers for $0.99 for I think it was a half pound. Fantastic! Being careful to wear gloves I chopped them up, added garlic, pulsed down to a pulp and then salted and weighed it down in the jaw and allowed it to ferment for two weeks. After that time, I removed the pretty cap of white mold, strained out the pulp, weighed and added an equal amount of white vinegar.

Nice vinegar punch, nice pepper flavor, nice tang from the ferment! The problem?....

Sigh...

They were miniature bell peppers.

#epic fail

Finally made some today. This is my process of juicing the peppers and then recombining them with salt. It's worked really well for me the last few years. I keep wanting to make some sauce with just the psychotically hot pepper nectar, but haven't. I used about 75% cayenne chilis with a 25% blend of yellow morugas, View attachment 227991View attachment 227992View attachment 227993View attachment 227994bhuts, Trinidad scorpions, and mushroom peppers. Really hot stuff. Then to be silly I poured a little liquor off the top of Chef Rex's sourdough starter into the pepper mixture. Then it went into the pantry where it will at some point hopefully explode into my wife's eyes. Then I put some carrots, celery, and tomatoes through the juicer. It's like V-8 for satan. Cheers

Let me see if I understand your process....

You first juice your peppers, keeping the pulp in the container you will ferment the mixture in, mix the juice back into said container with salt and a sourdough starter, and then ferment?

You first juice your peppers, keeping the pulp in the container you will ferment the mixture in, mix the juice back into said container with salt and a sourdough starter, and then ferment?

Good question. I am confused about that as well

Might be good tossed with pasta or as a pizza base sauce. Maybe as relish on a hotdog or burger... Or along side a nice steak?

Well its liquid and not mash and has a vinegar base... these would have been good suggestions though if it were still in mash form...

Also a question for the hotsauce experts... can I use dried serranos exclusively in a sauce or is that a no no for any reason?

Correct. I dump the pulp into the container and then pour the salted pepper juice over it and salt the top. The sourdough was a new twist this year, usually I will put a little kraut juice but I've also just let it ferment naturally. The reason I started doing this was out of necessity because I was making so much that I found hogging them through the juicer was just faster, but in the end it made a product that I was happier with.

Well its liquid and not mash and has a vinegar base... these would have been good suggestions though if it were still in mash form...

Also a question for the hotsauce experts... can I use dried serranos exclusively in a sauce or is that a no no for any reason?
Blend a few habaneros into it

Blend a few habaneros into it

This. Or fresh jalapeno, tomato, or something else fresh.

Tiber started a thread a while back about what everyone thought about a hot sauce forum here at HBT. At the time, I said that such a thing should only be pursued if the effort was minimal.

I'm really coming around to the idea of a hot sauce forum here... if for no other reason than the methods of fermentation and the recipes are so varied.

There's already a section for cooking/pairing, but I feel that growing peppers, sauce recipes, fermentation methods, and more could easily occupy (warrant) its own forum segment. As in the case with our friend Creamy here, I think the forum would have much more support than the current numbers show as people become intrigued by the discussions.

There's already a section for cooking/pairing, but I feel that growing peppers, sauce recipes, fermentation methods, and more could easily occupy (warrant) its own forum segment. As in the case with our friend Creamy here, I think the forum would have much more support than the current numbers show as people become intrigued by the discussions.

Maybe expand it a little to include any food that is fermented such as sauerkraut and fermented pickles as well..

Bottled up those sauces I started three weeks ago. Fermented three weeks, added a bit of vinegar and puréed with a stick blender. No boil no strain.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1413031253.350232.jpg
Here is the sriracha-style sauce - just Thai chilies, garlic, sugar and vinegar.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1413031330.207787.jpg
The habanero sauce. Habaneros, sweet onion, garlic, sugar and just a touch of vinegar to loosen it up. This one ain't no joke.

In other news welcome back, bomber.
:mug:
I'm not opposed to that...hell, I've got gallons of kraut, asparagus, mushrooms, and brussels sprouts fermenting and canned right now. Yum.

Hold on, wait. You are fermenting mushrooms?? You've got my attention.

I just bought two bags of Brussels sprouts from Costco for pickling, was thinking of running them through the kraut juice though and throwing in a few sliced habaneros. "Frog balls".

Hold on, wait. You are fermenting mushrooms?? You've got my attention
Hell yes. Lacto-fermented crimini mushrooms are criminally awesome. I halve or quarter them depending on size, rinse, toss with some lacto starter, add to jars with mustard seeds, sprig of thyme, dill, garlic, and some shallots. Top off with salt brine. Ferment for 6-8 days. It doesn't take long. They get kind of soft, but the flavor is great. Cook with them, or like me, you can just eat half a jar at a time with a fork.

I just bought two bags of Brussels sprouts from Costco for pickling, was thinking of running them through the kraut juice though and throwing in a few sliced habaneros. "Frog balls".

I've found that it takes quite a bit longer for brussels sprouts to ferment. I like them whole, but maybe halving them would speed it up? Mine aren't ready until 3+ weeks, unlike kraut which is done around 10 days.

You guys talked me into it. And since this thread is already off track

Fermenting crimini mushrooms, Brussels and green beans. Mixed in onion, garlic, picking spice and cayenne pepper flakes

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1413167032.352832.jpg

A few weeks ago I ran some various peppers through a blender, added kraut juice and salt, and let it ride.
This past weekend I strained it and got about a cup of liquid. I tossed a few cloves in a sauce pan and added a bit of pectin to give it some body, but I don't think I did it right. It's settling at the bottom of the bottle, which I was hoping to avoid. Tastes delicious though.

I picked up some more peppers this weekend to start fermenting. A few jalapenos, a few serranos, and a few red pod looking things.

Creamy I feel your pain, because I did the same f$*(ing thing you did. The red peppers ended up being bell peppers that went into stirfry last night.
Always wanted to try a green hot sauce...

hot sauce 1.jpg

peppers.jpg

Can you make homemade hot sauces from powdered ingredients? Chili powder is cheaper than fresh ingredients, but every time I tried it its disappointing. Has anyone tried it and had better results than I have?

I've added some chili powder to sauces before, but I've never made a sauce solely from powders. I can't imagine that'd be any good. I try to include at least one fresh variety of peppers and/or fresh vegetable ingredients if using dried peppers, and I've stopped using powders all together.

I have fresh powders that I made from my organic super hot chilies. This will definitely do the job for adding flavor and heat for the sauce if all other ingredients are fresh. Crappy store bought chili powder is not even the same thing as far as I can tell.

Back