Homemade hot sauce recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks like an all-star cast for making hotter-than-f*ck sauce!

Yeah, I hope to melt someone's face off.

Looks like you hit up PepperJoe.com

I actually got them from a private party, but I wouldn't be surprised if they originated there. These are all at least second generation since they came from his pods in previous years.

Yeah, I hope to melt someone's face off.

I actually got them from a private party, but I wouldn't be surprised if they originated there. These are all at least second generation since they came from his pods in previous years.

Nice. I've been wanting to order for awhile now, but I always forget until it's too late. Those hot peppers need a nice long growing season.

I haven't had very good luck germinating pepper seeds except for japs and habs. Bought some specialty superhots from refining chilies and am hoping the heating pad on low and the cake box works this time. Pepperjoe.com is my next stop if I can't do these this year. You guys doing seed exchange after the season with some of your extras? I really want Carolina reaper for next year. Can't believe it beat the scorpions that fast for worlds hottest.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I germinate the old fashion way...wet paper towel in a dark warm area. All my super hots as well as my cayenne and habanero sprouted like champs. They do take a bit longer than other vegetables.

I do 1" square newspaper boxes with potting soil in a cake box over a heating pad on low. Works great for everything except these recently purchased pepper seeds. Maybe I got bunk seed.

I've had good luck with rockwool cubes. Use slightly acidic water to germinate, then just remove the plastic wrap and stick in dirt after it sprouts.

Not sure I'll get anything to fruit this year, since there's still about three feet of snow over my garden area and it's still way too cold. Hopefully it warms up and melts soon...

Can we post non homemade stuff here?

Had some of these tonight. Epic. I was the only one that could handle the bonnet and it was solid to say the least. The jalepeno went perfect with the carne asada. Very unique aftertaste

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1397277871.606630.jpg

I like to make fermented hot sauces. I use fresh peppers covered in water and salt and let it sit out to let lacto go to town on it for a week or so. Then I puree and season. It seems to give a nice tang.

I like to make fermented hot sauces. I use fresh peppers covered in water and salt and let it sit out to let lacto go to town on it for a week or so. Then I puree and season. It seems to give a nice tang.

I do the same, but instead of adding water I put my peppers through the juicer, then I pour the juice over the pulp after salting it. Then after a week or so I'll purée it and put it in the fridge. It lasts for a year if you salt it well enough.

Any tips on getting these to thicken up some? The family would rather have something thicker like Frank's more so than Trappeys.

So I have 2 small mason jars with some chopped up habaneros I grew in 2012 and just left to ferment. I have no clue what to do with these, but I've always wanted to make a solid hot sauce.

I would guess that there is about 400mL of fermented chopped peppers in each jar. Can anyone help guide me down a path of using this to make something decent with it? Or should I just toss 'em and make one of the recipes already listed in this thread?

So I have 2 small mason jars with some chopped up habaneros I grew in 2012 and just left to ferment. I have no clue what to do with these, but I've always wanted to make a solid hot sauce.

I would guess that there is about 400mL of fermented chopped peppers in each jar. Can anyone help guide me down a path of using this to make something decent with it? Or should I just toss 'em and make one of the recipes already listed in this thread?

Either they're rotten or they're still good. If they're good, then I would maybe steam a little carrot and some mango, roast a couple cloves of garlic and blend it all together, salt to taste. Or you could simmer it with some apricot preserves and make a spicy glaze sauce. Just ideas. Really, the sky's the limit.

I've got a new recipe I thought I'd share with you guys. This sauce is delicious, and hurts like hell. A couple drops of this sauce to a bowl of soup, or a Tbsp in some buffalo wing sauce, and you'll feel it for sure. But, it's got nice flavor to it as well.

Recipe:
Yields about three 5oz sauce bottles
  • 1/2 cup white vinegar
  • 1/2 cup natural cider vinegar
  • 50 Bhut Jolokia chilies
  • 17 fresh Habeneros
  • 2 tsp pickling salt
  • 1/2 tsp minced garlic
  • ~1/8th of a jumbo yellow onion
  • 3 TB dark brown sugar
  • 1/4 tsp xanthan gum

Process:
Same as my previous post here. Be sure to pour some of the leftover chili rehydration water into the sauce pan as you simmer to maintain yield volume.

The initial flavor is slightly sweet and fruity, met with almost immediate sharp burn. The burning lasts for a while, but tapers off to a tolerable heat within several minutes. It just invites me for another taste more and more. Great with buffalo wings, chili, Mexican foods, toss a tad into some fresh salsa, and more.

I've also got some new additions to my greenhouse:
Bhut Jolokia
Carolina Reaper
Thai Fire
Jalapeno
Cayenne

Can't wait to whip up some nuclear sauces with the fresh picked stuff.

Cheers!
TB

Just got some peppers in the mail.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1404746432.247711.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1404746446.128719.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1404746461.830667.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1404746475.279619.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1404746495.866742.jpg

Help on ID would be appreciated. The first is a reaper and the second a 7pot brain strain. Not sure about the others.

Baker's Peppers

order at your own risk...that's all I will say. I got mine fine but there was some fishy business regarding the shipping and tracking of the package.

There are some reviews on his site that try to discredit the "bad" reviews, saying they are from competing business owners and/or growers. What was the fishy part of your order in particular? I can't find any other source(s) for fresh peppers online. It will be a couple months until my hot pepper crops are ready for harvest, so I'd love to pick some fresh ones up in the mean time.

You order through paypal and the the shipping notice email will be sent to your paypal email, not the one you use when your on the BakersPeppers site. I was looking for this email and it never came (wrong email address) The tracking said it was delivered one day before they actually arrived making me suspicious about its legitimacy. Although they did sit in my hot mailbox for like three days and are still in pretty good shape. I would say it's worth it for the $15 price tag.

You order through paypal and the the shipping notice email will be sent to your paypal email, not the one you use when your on the BakersPeppers site. I was looking for this email and it never came (wrong email address) The tracking said it was delivered one day before they actually arrived making me suspicious about its legitimacy. Although they did sit in my hot mailbox for like three days and are still in pretty good shape. I would say it's worth it for the $15 price tag.

OK, thanks for the tip.

I just ate this one. I think it's a Trinidad scorpion. Not sure if Moruga or not. It hurt! But only for about ten minutes. I hit the milk pretty early though. It helped a lot. Great flavor on these

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1405035358.914981.jpg

Got my order of peppers from Baker's Peppers about a week ago and just found this thread on hot sauces. I'm more than satisfied by the shipment. I ordered a small box of fresh 7 pot and chocolate habanero peppers. Also some dried Moruga and Jigsaw, this brought me to about half a medium box that instead of paper filler I got a variety of hot peppers. I'll try post pics tomorrow.

Got my order of peppers from Baker's Peppers about a week ago and just found this thread on hot sauces. I'm more than satisfied by the shipment. I ordered a small box of fresh 7 pot and chocolate habanero peppers. Also some dried Moruga and Jigsaw, this brought me to about half a medium box that instead of paper filler I got a variety of hot peppers. I'll try post pics tomorrow.

Good to hear. I haven't written him off , just took exception to a few of our email interactions.

Made some sauce tonight!

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1406007129.645526.jpg

2 cups water
1.5 cups distilled white vinegar
2 lemon habanero
2 yellow daisy cutter
2 Caribbean scotch bonnet
1 yellow bhut jolokia
2 yellow bell peppers
12 baby carrots from bag
1 sweet onion
1 lime, squeezed
1 clove garlic
1 tbs table salt
2 tsp pectin (after simmer, during cool)

i confess i haven't read the thread but is anyone making fermented hot sauce? i just made my first one with some homegrown chilis.
it was
~200 g chilis, (red narrow ones the length of a finger, pretty hot but not killer), chopped finely
couple cloves of garlic (fresh harvest from friend's father in spain)
4 g salt
medium white wine to cover the chilis
bit of whey from a fresh yogurt i just made
left it 2 weeks or so, blended and strained.
it's powerful good! tangy, hot, full of flavor. i might need to adjust slightly with sugar and a splash of vinegar.

Back