Home Brewer V.S. Snobby food Critic.....we won

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Perhaps you missed the fact that the guy was a free-loader; he wasn't paying for his meal.

Hmmm... non-paying, make-believe "food critic" fails to return to cadge another free meal?

Sounds like a win for the restaurant.

Maybe you missed the "anyway you dice it" bit.

I grew up in Antwerp and the two major pilsners are jupiler and Maes Pils. These were the most common. The most popular Belgian Pale was De Koninck and still is (In Antwerp at least, where its made). Duvel is also very popular in bars. As far as the others, I think Belgians just like what they like individually and since they live in such a saturated market of both quality and run of the mill beers there isn't much debating or comparing individual tastes. As far as the critic scoffing at the idea that Belgians don't like St Bernardus- he may not have seen people drinking it at restaurants but one snobby food critic's off hand observation does not make him an expert on the average Belgian's palate. generally you will find the average Belgian very appreciative and proud of their rich beer culture, but you won't find too many snobs or heated debate about beer. "Hey dude, you want a pintje?" " 'Nah, grab me a bolleke." This is probably the extent of beer snobbery in Belgium.

4938_523237855628_64700226_31121140.jpg
:off:

Chimay and Duvel in a gas station...Looks like I know where I want to move.

Or just ignore it. You can't control other people's arrogance or stupidity, but you can be better than them. "Whooping someone's as5" just brings you down to their level.

The problem is - and I know this from years in the food industry - if you don't slap someone like that down at the first sign of arrogance or one-uppishness, it will only get worse the longer they are there and the more drinks they consume. You hammer 'em early and they don't make your life hell later. It isn't "stooping to their level." It's putting them on notice that you have no intention of putting up with their crap all evening.

Back