Help - strange bubbling before fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timod14

Reaction score
Check out this video. I noticed this odd fizzing/bubbling/gurgling activity from the sight glass fitted on my conical dump port 1-2 hours after filling it with wort and pitching with dry yeast. It hasn't been long so I would be surprised if it was fermentation activity starting already. It's since been 24 hours and still bubbling like this. Any ideas what could be the cause? I thought it might be a leak in the bottom dump valve letting in air but doesn’t quite look like that's the culprit. Maybe hops from the trub giving off CO2? I did a normal all grain IPA brew inc whirfloc. It is my first time fitting a sight glass so not sure what activity is supposed to be going on there or not. Thanks!

Here's the video link:

Thanks for the quick reply. That would be a super fast start to fermentation. I dumped some hops and hot break trub around the same time I saw this, hopefully all of the yeast didn't settle down at the bottom there and get dumped too :-/ We'll soon find out, thanks again for the help.

When I proof yeast for bread making, I get bubbles in just a few minutes. Why do you think it takes beer yeast a longer time?

What takes a longer time is increasing their numbers and becoming active enough to move enough CO2 to have it bubble through your airlock. Or to make enough gas to churn up the beer and make a krausen foam on top of it in your fermenter.

When I proof yeast for bread making, I get bubbles in just a few minutes. Why do you think it takes beer yeast a longer time?

What takes a longer time is increasing their numbers and becoming active enough to move enough CO2 to have it bubble through your airlock. Or to make enough gas to churn up the beer and make a krausen foam on top of it in your fermenter.
Fair enough! First time I actually see the fermentation cycle in action as I’ve always used stainless steel buckets and tanks. Thanks for the info.

Latest posts

Back