When there is no more bubbling in the primary fermenter can I bottle my mead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer Viking

Beer Lover
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

It's been awhile since I've posted here but I'm looking into making a bulk 5 G batch of mead. When there is no more bubbling in the primary fermenter and I take a reading for gravity and it is around 1.000 is it safe to bottle my mead directly from my primary fermenter or will that make bottle bombs? I just watched a youtube video where someone said that after there is no activity in the primary fermenter you need to put the mead in a secondary fermenter and use some product to halt further fermentation. What do you guys do?

Just because there is no more activity bubbling, that doesn't mean much. It just means you either have a leak or the activity has really slowed. Nothing will take the place of measuring the fg a few days in a row to find out if it's done, other than chemically stabilizing with k-meta and k-sorbate.

Whrn "bubbling" slows. Check the gravity using a hydrometer. If at or near 1.010 transfer to secondary. Allow it to clear and check the gravity again then again 1 week later if no change then clarify if needed, stabilize if you prefer and bottle.

Once I rack my mead into a carboy for secondary/bulk aging, I usually leave it there for at least 6 months. Mead needs to age anyway, and that gives it time to clear naturally.

Then before bottling I will stabilize and backsweeten with honey.

Thanks for all of the help everyone. Let me see if I have this straight; After there is no more bubbling I check the SG and then check again in a week and if the SG is the same I can rack it to a second primary fermenter and at this point I add k-meta or k-sorbate? Then I stir this stuff in and let it rest for a week and check the SG again and if it is the same it will be good to bottle?

Thanks again for the help!

Latest posts

Back