Help me with my portable kegerator!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neptune

Reaction score
So I'm building this portable kegerator... It's unfinished right now (still needs a cover, trim, tap, wheels, handle, etc.) but I've already got a problem and I'm hoping to get some suggestions from you guys (and gals).

I scored a free 4x8 sheet of 1/4" hdpe and a sheet of 2" foam so I decided I was going to make this thing that would rival a yeti cooler and keep my beer cold for an entire weekend of camping or whatever.

Having never worked with this high density polyethylene (hdpe) before, I had no idea that it is virtually impossible to get anything to stick to it. The inner structure is all screwed together and I put a bead of silicone all over the internal seams and thought all was well... But then a few days later I realized that it just peeled right off. After some Google searching, I began to realize that this was probably not the correct choice for material. It seems that it needs to be welded together or I need to use some fancy super expensive chemicals to bond it.

The problem with that is the foam is already mounted and the panels are already permanently attached so disassembly is not really an option.

Any suggestions?

IMG_20170622_194533826_TOP.jpg

Try West Systems G/flex epoxy. It works well with slick finish on polyethylene kayaks.

Thanks for the replies... Still thinking about which way to go. Another suggestion was to use fiberglass resin. Even if it doesn't stick to the material it will be a molded form that would act as a kind of waterproof insert...

The plastic welder works fine, however the welding sticks from Harbor Freight and most other sources are usually LDPE, i.e. easier melting. Also getting a good bond with HDPE takes quite a bit of skill, especially a waterproof bond. The epoxy I linked earlier is much easier (and will stick better than general use fiberglass resin).

Do you know if this is the stuff you're referring to?

And if so, I need to run about 15 feet of a bead across the seams. The kit doesn't seem to indicate an amount. Think it will be enough?

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back