My key lime mead from hell.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midwestvintage

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This might end up being the first batch I ever dump in 8 years. I used the key lime concentrate from Coloma. It said one bottle to a gallon so I made my traditional first and added in secondary. Huge mistake using the entire bottle. I had already used lactose and had graham crackers. So tart. I back sweetened. Still makes you pucker up. I am playing with the idea of making a 2 gallon tradition and adding some of this mess into it. Now however the problem is this stuff is so hazy you can't see through it. I had added bentonite in primary, I added sparkolloid, I cold crashed. Nothing. So it looks terrible and for now the name is pucker up sucker because it is so tart. Might be able to make a mixed drink with some. I have it in my back room and plan on just ignoring it forever maybe but any suggestions to get this mess to clear? I don't need crystal clear but seriously, this is soupy looking. Just when you think after all these years you have this mead making down pat along comes the mead from hell.

LOL - I feel ya. Have had a few as well.

As you mentioned. I would either add a couple gallons traditional on top of it and or let it sit to clear. Unfortunately I dont think time will mellow the sour. I had the same issue with a lime mead. (5 gallon) It did eventually clear then i mixed some if it in some vodka that turned our pretty well for mixed drinks. Ended up filtering the remainder to 0.45 microns. Then blended some into a traditional and a chocolate mole bochet that both turned out pretty well. The last gallon i sweetened with FAJC to about 1.035 the sugar and apple flavor really helped cut the sour. I think sugar more than the apple juice.

Good luck - would be interested in gearing what you do with it.

I have over 4 pounds of honey invested in this batch so really don't want to dump it. I keep playing with how to save it. I think I will try sugar next and I have a friend who is a cocktail master at our local brewery I am going to pull a jar for to see if he can make some type of drinkable mixed drink with it. If so I might gift him the batch rather then keep pouring money into it. It sounded so good in my head when I decided to try it. I have some traditional mead I keep around for blending so might open a bottle and put a small amount into it to see if that will salvage it. I did a lemon I had some issue with originally but eventually I got it blended correctly and time did mellow it out.

I think you're on the right track with blending with traditional. Maybe try different ratios of blending in a glass, sweeten if needed to see if you can hit the right mix. I'd hate to dump it; I'm a real cheapskate! Good luck!

Back