Making my kegerator a fermenter chamber as well

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrocker652002

Reaction score
Greeting to all, probably won't explain this very well, but here goes.

I purchased a home built kegerator with all the lines, taps and all recently and have been using it as such. My fermenting has been done in a hall way closet that usually stands between 63 to 75 degrees depending on the outside temp. I have done a lot of reading that temp control has a lot to do with quality and performance of the yeast, so off to Youtube I went to see what I could find. I found a vid of a guy who basically made a 2x4 extension for his mini fridge so that his fermenting buckets would fit. Easy enough to do, and I dig the DIY aspect. So I went and bought what I thought was a pretty straight piece of 2x4 and off I went. Got it cut and loose fit into the door opening and it seemed to expand the chamber enough to fit the bucket. Next, put the door back on and fit it all together. Problem is, I cannot get the door to seal without having to keep pressure on it so it sits tight on the 2x4. Short of getting some sort of latching system, has anybody been able to fabricate something to do what I am trying to do?

What I'd do. Clad the 2x4 with some PVC corner edging. Use 'no nails' adhesive or Gorilla glue. The edging is going to finish flat enough to get the door to seal again. Just weight something level and flat on it while the adhesive sets. Obviously, fridge on its back during the process. And refit the hinges once set, before putting the fridge up-right. You might have to fill the holes you already made to refit the hinges.

I think this is a fairly common project. Though I haven't done it myself. It might be the way you've mounted the hinges but putting on a clasp is a fairly common and simple solution. I've seen others use bungee cords if your not worried about aesthetics.

Not exactly the same, but here's the timber collar on my keezer and PVC corner edging glued to it.
IMG_0226.JPG

IMG_0248.JPG

A simple toggle latch does the trick.

IMG_20220620_080047147_HDR (1).jpg
IMG_20220620_080047147_HDR.jpg

(please ignore the sawdust on top and the messy floor reflected in the door)

Back