Hello... new brewer here

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

horseshoefreak

Reaction score
Hi. My only brewing experience was helping me brother brew his first batch last spring. He's since done about four different batches and they've all turned out great. Now, I'm ready to go out on my own. Got a brew pot for Christmas, but have one question.

I was reading some info about brewing on the web and some people were calling for starting your yeast before hand (especially liquid yeast), but I don't remember doing that with my brothers batch. It was dry yeast but we just put it in the fermenter, shut the top and let nature take it's course. Do I really NEED to start it?

Welcome to the hobby!
You don't NEED to do a starter...but it does help. Since this is your first batch, don't complicate things. If you can't get your hands on a liquid vial of yeast, the dry packet will be just fine. I will usually add it to a bottle of water beforehand, shake it up really good, and pitch it into the wort.

Have fun!!

Dry yeast should be pitched right in. I've read it actually can be harmful to make a start with dry yeast, although some like to rehydrate it.

Starters with liquid yeast are not required, but I would recommend it.

Welcome to the obsession!!!

Welcome to HBT Horseshoefreak. Have fun, brewing is a great hobby. You are among friends here....or is that fiends?
Cheers!

Yes if you've come with plans of just brewing 3-4 extract batches and keeping it simple I feel for you. This time next year if you stay active here you will have a 4 keg+ Kegerator, more money than you care to think about worth of equipment and be over the legal limit of homebrew! haha Welcome.

My take, from reading this site, and listening to podcasts, is that for liquid yeasts, a starter is highly recommended, while for dry yeasts, it is advisable to rehydrate in a small glass of boiled and cooled water before hand.

There are two reasons for rehydrating. One is to prove that the yeast is viable, and the other is to allow them to fill with water, as opposed to wort, which makes more healthy yeast.

According to Jamil Z. retail packages of dry yeast don't say to rehydrate, but when they sell to commercial breweries, they do. That can be taken as evidence that rehydrating is a good thing.

That said, I think that you could get fermentation, and even decent fermentation, without rehydrating or creating a starter, but each, in their proper place, will give a much faster and healthier fermentation, and reduce the chance of infection and off-flavors.

Latest posts

Back