HBT NFL Mock Draft '09

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Given Tom Coughlin's the Giants' coach, I can't see Ocho Cinco on his way there. But I do think there's a possibility of the Giants trading for Anquan Boldin, and if so, their calculus changes quite a bit.

See, I don't know about that. Belichick LOVES Chaz Johnson, I have absolutely no doubt that if we weren't already pretty much loaded to the gills with wideouts, we'd be making inquiries (and I'm pretty sure Chaz would love to be in New England; hell, I wouldn't be surprised if BB's looking into it anyway). I don't see Coughlin as being any harder to play for than BB. Chaz loves having the spotlight on him, but I don't see him as being as much of an ass as TO (or Burress, for that matter).

He'd probably be a LOT cheaper to acquire than Boldin, who Phoenix seems to want a first rounder for.

Alright, then.

The Giants will take Derrius Heyward-Bey, WR Maryland, who will hopefully give us a deep threat to help replace some of Plaxico Burress' production over the next few years.

With the 30th pick in the 2008 HBT NFL Draft, the Tennessee Titans select Ron Brace, DT, from Boston College.

Was thinking a wideout (Tenny's biggest need), but the player that I was targeting(Nicks) was gone. Tenny's just lost Haynesworth, and Brace seems to be the best wide-ass defensive lineman left.

Nice, I was planning on taking him at #33.

Limited Visibility is now on the clock for the Cardinals.

The Steelers will select with the last pick of the first round ....

Alphonso Smith, Wake Forest

Steelers are in a good position again with not needing a starter but they can use some depth at several positions. Cornerback being one that has the least depth. Since in out mock draft a well regarded, talented and hard working CB is still available it seems like a good fit.

Start Round 2

Craig

With the first pick in the 2nd round (33rd overall), the Detroit Lions select Evander "Ziggy" Hood, DT - Missouri.

the_bird is now on the clock for the Patriots. This seems like a good place for Aaron Maybin's freefall to end.

Maybin's tempting, especially since we've got a lot of defensive linemen becoming free agents next year. Not sure he'll be able to contribute a ton next year, he's still pretty raw, which had to be a factor. Pats are tight on roster spots, especially if we don't trade any of our draft picks (it's virtually inevitable that we will). Sounds like he'll also likely be changing position fro DE to OLB. Sounds like he's more of a project than most 1st round-type players.

I'm also tempted by Darius Butler, CB out of Connecticut. We've signed a few defensive backs as free agents, but this has been an area of weakness pretty much since Ty Law was let go.

In the end, I think I've got to go with Maybin. Too much talent to ignore. Now, if Ziggy or Alphonso Smith was still on the board, Maybin might still be sliding.

So, the Patriots select Aaron Maybin with the 34th pick.

Well, at least I've jacked up the youth of the LB corps with Cushing and Maybin, even if I'm not in love with the latter. I really wanted Ziggy, dammit, or Alphonso. Grr....

I'd be shocked if the Pats don't move some of these picks - either for 2010 first-rounders, or to move up and make sure they can get someone like Cushing (or Matthews, who sounds like he's been more impressive during the pro days).

Sounds like Sanchez has been wowing the scouts with his footwork and his accuracy, as well as all the intangible stuff. I'm telling you now, that kid's going to be the best QB coming out of this draft. There's no way he gets past Denver at 12, not a chance in hell (who'd they get from Chicago? Orton? :rolleyes:), and I wouldn't be surprised to see him gone a lot earlier.

Any word on what Raji tested positive for? I just heard "positive drug test"; if it's pot, NBD, dumb but understandable, anything else and he could freefall.

I'm not sure it's a credible source and no major media outlets have confirmed either of these reports, but FWIW:

BJ Raji, Vontae Davis and Percy Harvin test positive for marijuana at the combine

Clay Matthews and Brian Cushing test positive for steroids at the combine

I'm hearing that the Pats have a stiffy for Connor Barwin.

As for the Rams, I'd think that they'd look long and hard at WR here, but with Spagnuolo in town it's probably a defensive pick. They need help on defense almost everywhere.

It's a toss-up between taking a wideout to replace Holt and getting more help to shore up the defense. But after some deliberation, with the third pick in the 2nd round (35th overall), the St Louis Rams select Kenny Britt, WR, Rutgers.

Time for a group pick for the Browns. They picked up Orakpo earlier who will slide to OLB in Mangini's 3-4. They could use another option at RB, a TE to fill the loss of Winslow, a WR and a CB.

I'm thinking CB with either Darius Butler, Sean Smith or DJ Moore.

If they need another LB then Barwin is a great option here as well.

Time for a group pick for the Browns. They picked up Orakpo earlier who will slide to OLB in Mangini's 3-4. They could use another option at RB, a TE to fill the loss of Winslow, a WR and a CB.

I'm thinking CB with either Darius Butler, Sean Smith or DJ Moore.

If they need another LB then Barwin is a great option here as well.

I vote Lesean McCoy for a RB or Darius Butler

Donald Brown is an option at RB as well. He has been rising on most teams' boards since he pro day.

I've seen him creeping in the the late 1st in some revised mocks.

Browns have alot of needs.
CB, WR, TE, RB

With the recent news about Stallworth WR may be pressing and Robiskie is a hometown player. Wouldn't be surprised to see them go here.

However CB has been a weakness and Darius Butler is still available. I think this is the best pick for the team.

However several good RBs are still available and Jamal is getting old so McCoy or Brown could go.

My vote is Butler

Craig

Hopefully bird will weigh in shortly and we can get this pick made before I head out the door in about 45 minutes.

Again, I'll try to keep this thing chugging along the best that I can over the weekend, but expect delays. We need to pick the pace up a little bit to be done by the 25th.

Honestly, I don't have a good sense of what the Browns are looking for. Aren't there supposed to be a lot of good TEs available in this range, though? I think only one's come off the board so far, though. But, that's a bit of a lower priority in general. I'd probably go with Butler; he sounds like a pretty solid prospect to shore up the secondary.

Honestly, I don't have a good sense of what the Browns are looking for. Aren't there supposed to be a lot of good TEs available in this range, though? I think only one's come off the board so far, though. But, that's a bit of a lower priority in general. I'd probably go with Butler; he sounds like a pretty solid prospect to shore up the secondary.

I think the browns like their TE but he is not a star like Winslow is/could be. And they no longer have much depth there. But I don't think they will pick high for a TE given the other more pressing needs and good prospects available to fill them. Really I could see any of 4 or 5 choices they could make here but Butler is probably the best.

Craig

They should go for Pat White. Can you imagine how much fun it would be to draw up plays with Pat White and Seneca Wallace on the field together? Hell, sign Matt Jones while you're at it, just load up the the gills with QB/WRs. I'LL SHOW YOU A GODDAMN WILDCAT OFFENSE!

(joking, of course).

The Bengals will select Alex Mack Center from California.
Cincinnati needs some help on the line especially given the big nose tackles in the AFC North. Mack is a big athletic center that should be an improvement.

Yea, I've picked 2 OL for Cincy but they need them and I think they are good values. However I'm guessing Cincy fans won't be as lucky in the real draft.

Craig

The Bengals will select Alex Mack Center from California.
Cincinnati needs some help on the line especially given the big nose tackles in the AFC North. Mack is a big athletic center that should be an improvement.

Yea, I've picked 2 OL for Cincy but they need them and I think they are good values. However I'm guessing Cincy fans won't be as lucky in the real draft.

Craig

I dont think they can afford another season ender for Palmer they definatley need OL.

very good selection for the Bengals.

schweaty is now on the clock for the Jaguars.

Huh.

Not draft related, but the Titans just signed Patrick Ramsey.

Ramsey's not very good, but he's not a third-stringer, is he?

Is Vince Young on his way out of town/the League?

Hey 'brewtus - bet the Lions could pick him up cheap! ;)

Huh.

Not draft related, but the Titans just signed Patrick Ramsey.

Ramsey's not very good, but he's not a third-stringer, is he?

Is Vince Young on his way out of town/the League?

Hey 'brewtus - bet the Lions could pick him up cheap! ;)

Isn't V.Young in a mental home or something?

With the 39th pick, the Jacksonville Jaguars take RB Donald Brown, UConn.

After losing Fred Taylor in free agency they need someone to back up MJD. I was thinking OL, LB or QB here but all the good ones were taken.

We're all selecting for Dude and the Packers.

My vote is for Robert Ayers, DE from Tennessee here, they need defensive line help.

Latest posts

Back