HBT NFL Mock Draft '09

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The consensus seems to be Everette Brown for the Texans at #15, so that's the pick.

hokster is now on the clock for the Chargers.

errrrrrrrrrrrrrr... hokster's PM box is also full. Hopefully he checks in on this thread to see that he's on the clock.

errrrrrrrrrrrrrr... hokster's PM box is also full. Hopefully he checks in on this thread to see that he's on the clock.

OK so what do the chargers need?

I see alot of mocks with them taking a RB but I don't see it.

Seems they need defense. Pass rush and back field.

Craig

Between LT and Sproles, they've got a lot of money tied into to the backfield already. They'll need to replace LT at some point, but not here in the 1st round. More likely, in the 2nd or 3rd round, get someone to develop behind LT, or draft someone high in 2010.

Defense.

Sorry about that...the Chargers could potentially use a running back, since even with the contact, LT's on his way down, but there is a lot of money there already.

On the other hand, we need some impact defensive players, particularly at inside linebacker, who can complement guys like Shawne Merriman. Thus, the Chargers will take USC linebacker Rey Maluaga.

Assuming that the Jets don't land Cutler, I think this almost has to be Sanchez.

... a distinct lack of skill players taken so far. Kind of odd - one QB, a couple wideouts, and a TE, otherwise it's defenders and linemen.

That's not that surprising this year, though...the tackle, DL, and linebacker positions are pretty deep at the top, while other than Stafford, there aren't any really elite prospects at QB. Even when it comes to running backs, they all have flaws, so there's none that jump out as a really top pick, and even for the wide receivers, none are the total package, in a certain sense. Crabtree and Maclin are a bit wee (and Crabtree comes via Mike Leach), and a guy like Heyward-Bey, for example, might be one dimensional as a threat. Meanwhile, in the secondary, you've got Jenkins (who was slow and may end up being a safety in the NFL) and Vontae Davis, who was really inconsistent in college.

Agreed. We may not have the players correct, but I don't expect more than about 3 'skill position' players to be taken in the top 10. Stafford, Sanchez, Crabtree and Maclin are about the only options. It may only be 2.

Personally, I consider LT, DE and CB to be skill positions as well. There could be 3 or 4 OT's taken in the top 10 and guys like Beatty, Britton and Loadholt could sneak in as well if teams decide to start reaching.

Hey ohiobrewtus, did you see the leak of the new Lions logo and font? If so, what do you think? Personally, I think it's lame. There was a submission to a Detroit newspaper that was waaaaaaay better IMO.

With the seventeenth pick in the 2009 draft, and because they couldn't get Jay Cutler, the New York Jets select Mark Sanchez, QB, USC. Because all their current QBs throw like girls.

Agreed. We may not have the players correct, but I don't expect more than about 3 'skill position' players to be taken in the top 10. Stafford, Sanchez, Crabtree and Maclin are about the only options. It may only be 2.

Personally, I consider LT, DE and CB to be skill positions as well. There could be 3 or 4 OT's taken in the top 10 and guys like Beatty, Britton and Loadholt could sneak in as well if teams decide to start reaching.
I've heard a couple of different experts (for whatever that title is worth) saying that there are only 20-25 players who are considered round-one quality this year, but a crapload of players who are rated as round-two talent. With that in mind, I think it's a good year to trade down, or do a Belichick and stock up on picks for next year's draft.

I wasn't saying we were doing anything wrong, just that this seems to be a year that's favoring the guys in the trenches.

I think the choices we have made so far are looking pretty good. Ofcourse I've always felt that the "skill" guys were overrated. A good quarterback looks even better if he has all day to throw and a great quarterback doesn't look so good on his back. Same with RBs. If there is an easy hole an average RB will get good yardage. However if the defense gets penetration a great RB will usually lose yardage.

Craig

Hey ohiobrewtus, did you see the leak of the new Lions logo and font? If so, what do you think? Personally, I think it's lame. There was a submission to a Detroit newspaper that was waaaaaaay better IMO.

I did see that. I like the one that I posted in the Lions suck thread much better. I'd like to see a larger version of the logo, but it appears that it's 97% the same, with some highlights to make it appear more like an actual lion. I'll be intereted to see what changes have been made to the uniforms.

Dude PM'd me saying that he's going to be tied up for a few days and likely unable to participate.

Sooooooooooooooooooooooo... consensus pick for the Buccaneers?

Peria Jerry? Josh Freeman? One of the WR that's left? Who ya got?

I think they jump on Freeman here.

They need a QB, but I think it's a little early for Freeman. Do they need to replace Derrick Brooks? Please say "no," I want to pick a linebacker at #23! Cushing?

Wide receiver, too.

I think it's early for Freeman too, but with his size and strength this is right around where teams will start thinking about him.

Has Tampa given up on getting Cutler? #19 plus either a third rounder or a conditional pick for '10 makes a lot of sense to me. Seems less and less likely that Denver's going to let him go, but if they DO.... I think it involves this pick.

Tampa may have to get anoher team involved in order to be in the running for Cutler. I think Cutler is staying, but if they do decide to move him they're going to need to get a QB in return, or a pick that they can use on Stafford or Sanchez.

Denver *should* be able to draft Sanchez at #12. Sounds like he's moving up some draft boards, but I'm be surprised if he's not available when Denver picks. So, if they could get a combination of '09 and '10 picks that was "worth" Cutler, I think they'd be able to do it.

Deal wouldn't go down until draft day, though, once Denver sees if Sanchez is still available (or potentially Stafford; sounds like there's a chance he could slide).

Sooooooooooooooooooooooo... consensus pick for the Buccaneers?
I'd go for Peria Jerry here - though I've seen a few mock drafts that have Freeman going to the Jets at 17, so I don't think it'd be a reach to take him now. There's a pretty steep drop-off at QB after the top three, so for any team wanting a decent rookie QB, it's a choice of taking Freeman now or treading water until 2010.

Yeah, the #4 QB in the draft probably won't play QB in the NFL. Belichick sounds intrigued by Pat White, presumably so he could run some Wildcat formations (even more effectively if the guy under center can actually pass the ball) and to save a roster spot.

I think Jerry makes a lot of sense here too. There's also WR like Britt, DHB, Nicks and Harvin available.

Danek hit it on the head. There's a considerable dropoff. After Freeman you've got Nate Davis and Pat White. If you need a QB and one of the top 3 falls to you at #19 where you don't have to invest a ton of money in them I think you do it.

They could go a lot of different ways, but I'm sticking with Freeman.

I can't disagree.... I mean, I wouldn't draft Freeman this early, but that's such a need for them. The wide receiver doesn't matter without the QB.

How are they are LB? There's still some good players left there, might be a wee bit early but not too bad for someone like Cushing.

I think Cushing is going to be a great player. If I hadn't already taken Curry for the Lions I'd jump all over Cushing at #20.

At LB, they just picked up Angelo Crowell to go along with Geno Hayes, Niko Koutouvides and Barrett Ruud. The could use some depth at LB, but looking at their roster I don't think that they take one at this point.

So what's the consensus? Do you guys think that Freeman here is a realistic selection or shoudl it be Jerry?

I'd like to get this done asap so it's not waiting until the morning. I'm not sure how available I'm going to be this evening to check on this thread.

With the 20th selection the Lions take Vontae Davis, CB - Illinois.

Despite trading for Anthony Henry and signing Philip Buchanon this offseason, the Lions still need help at CB. Henry could end up playing Safety and both players are on the wrong side of 30. Davis is easily the best player on the board at a position of need. No brainer here IMO.

DT is a huge need, but Davis presents more value here than Jerry. There are a couple other DT's at the same level as Jerry that could be available at #33.

neko is now on the clock for the Eagles

The Vikings have one of the worst sets of wide receivers in football. Tavaris Jackson is NOT the answer for them long-term at QB, but there's no one left that's close to being worth #22 for them. Sounds like they could use a tackle as well, but all the top-tier guys are off the board.

Latest posts

Back