HBT NFL Mock Draft '09

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like GB needs defensive front and Ayers appears to be the best available.

Sounds like a good pick to me.

Craig

Green Bay selects Robert Ayers, DE - Tennessee.

BuffaloSabresBrewer is now on the clock for the Bills.

Looks like Buffalo is a no show.

If we are voting Michael Johnson looks like a decent choice. The Bills need a DE and he looks pretty impressive.

Craig

Already taken.

12. Denver Broncos - Michael Johnson, DE - Georgia Tech (RICLARK)

Jarron Gilbert, Sen'Derrick Marks and Fili Moala are all solid options here, as is Connor Barwin. Depending on what happens with Jason Peters, they could also look at an OT here.

My vote is for Jarron Gilbert, DE/DT - San Jose State

Eh, we need to get this thing rolling so that we're done in 17 days. The Bills select Jarron Gilbert, DE/DT - San Jose State.

neko is now on the clock for the 49'ers.

Already taken.

12. Denver Broncos - Michael Johnson, DE - Georgia Tech (RICLARK)

Jarron Gilbert, Sen'Derrick Marks and Fili Moala are all solid options here, as is Connor Barwin. Depending on what happens with Jason Peters, they could also look at an OT here.

My vote is for Jarron Gilbert, DE/DT - San Jose State

Whoops, didn't look far enough back in our mock.

I was hoping for Gilbert to fall to the end of the round but i guess that was wishful thinking :D

Craig

hokster is on the clock for the Giants, then we will all be picking for the Texans.

Sweet!

With the second round pick they received from New Orleans in the Jeremy Shockey trade, the Giants will select Pittsburgh RB LeSean McCoy.

Shady's a good receiver out of the backfield and very elusive, so he will hopefully team up with Ahmad Bradshaw to make up for some of Derrick Ward's 1,000 yards. He'll also be a good change of pace back for Brandon Jacobs.

This is about where Unger would go, but I think that they're pretty happy with their line. I'd expect another defensive pick here with soomeone like Marcus Freeman at OLB or Sean Smith at CB. Demeco Ryans and Dunta Robinson need some help.

I'd go with Sean Smith. 6'4" CB with great speed.

I might not get back to this until the morning, so those that are 2-3 picks ahead, get a list of a few guys that you'll be happy with when it's your turn. Let's get this sucker movin!

I don't see Freeman as being a second round pick (third at best, I know the Giants have been looking at him). Smith sounds reasonable, but they could use a good safety, and William Moore's one of the few really good looking safeties in this draft.

The Texans select Sean Smith, CB - Utah.

the_bird is now on the clock for the Patriots.

Just curious, you have Sean Smith above DJ Moore at CB?

And Patriots just have way too many picks. :D

Craig

I do. I like Smith's size. He can jam receivers at the line and play solid man. DJ Moore is certainly an option here as well.

I agree - screw the Patriots. :D

With the 47th selction in the 2009 HBT NFL Draft, the New England Patriots select...

Connor Barwin, DE from Cincinnati.

The Good: A natural football player who displays a good first step out of his stance and redirects cleanly in space. Has an impressive array of pass rush moves considering he only took up defensive end last season. He doubles as a tight end and adds a lot of versatility to a roster. He has a great attitude, is a hard worker and will find a way to be successful.
The Bad: Lacks elite quickness or explosion off the snap and lacks fluidity in space. Is still developing his technique as a rusher and needs more experience on the defensive side.

From all accounts, BB's got a woody for this guy. I wonder whether he's big enough to play DE in the NFL (240#), but this is a guy that some drafts have the Pats taking as high as #23. Love that he can play TE a la Vrabel (who has what, like eight TD receptions in his career?). Realistically, this is a guy the Pats might go for if he's available at #34 (he's more of a natural BB player than Maybin - and there's really no way that Maybin falls all the way to the second round, so I'm almost forgetting about that pick as being unrealistic).

'Brewtus, is this the guy you were targetting? Don't hate me because I didn't want to trade down! ;)

Nope, my guy is still on the board.

Barwin projects at an OLB in a 3-4 and could get time at TE as he played TE his first 2 years at Cincy. You're one LB drafting mofo. :D Cushing, Maybin, Barwin. All project to play OLB in a 3-4. Maybin and Barwin could bulk up a bit and put a hand on the ground at DE though.

RICLARK is now on the clock for the Broncos.

I agree on Maybin. He won't be there at the top of the 2nd.

Real-world, we're not drafting three linebackers.

Fantasy draft, if those three guys ARE available at those slots, I don't see how you pass over any of them. Hell, I've seen BB draft two tight ends high in the same draft; it's not like you can really have too many linebackers (especially guys who MIGHT be able to play on the line).

Of those three players, I'm thinking Maybin is the biggest risk of being a bust.

With the 49th Pick the Chicago Bears select: Brian Robiskie, WR, Ohio State

After acquiring Cutler the Bears need to bolster their WR corps. They already have burners in Hester and Davis along with two good TE's in Clark and Olsen. Robiskie gives them a possession WR with size, strength and hands.

I think Robiskie is a great value here.

Tampa needs a defense line. Fili Moala looks impressive.

Or do they pick up DJ Moore, who seems to be slipping?

Craig

Moala and Moore are certainly good options here for Tampa. Looking at who they released in ths offseason and their current roster, I'd say this is almost certainly a defensive pick after taking Freeman in the 1st. Moala makes sense, but I think that they need linebackers too. This is right where I expect Clint Sintim and Marcus Freeman to be taken and we all know how 3-4 teams love LB's.

In the end I think a guy like Fili Moala makes a lot of sense for them over DJ Moore. They drafted Aqib Talib from Kansas in the 1st last year and Barber is still performing at a pretty high level.

We're all making this pick.

I'd say the top candidates are:

Fili Moala
DJ Moore
William Moore
Clint Sintim
Marcus Freeman

Speak your mind in the next 30 minutes or I'll make the pick and it will be Fili Moala.

WHAM BAM THANK YOU MA'AM!

The Buccaneers select Fili Moala, DT - USC.
The Cowboys select William Moore, S - Missouri.

After releasing Roy Williams (the safety), this is a glaring need for the Cowboys. They should consider themselves lucky that the #2 safety prospect in the draft dell to them here.

We'll give danek until about noon EST to make his pick, then we'll make it for him.

If they're going to throw Sanchez into the fire, they'll need to get another weapon for him. Derrick Williams, WR - Penn State would be a good selection here.

We'll give danek until about noon EST to make his pick, then we'll make it for him.

If they're going to throw Sanchez into the fire, they'll need to get another weapon for him. Derrick Williams, WR - Penn State would be a good selection here.

Looks like Jets really need some help in the receiving corps, but is Williams the best choice at this point? Seems like many drafts have Juaquin Iglesias going higher.

Craig

Most boards I've seen have both Williams and Iglesias with about the same grades as Louis Murphy and Ramses Barden. Just a step below Robiske.

I just checked a half dozen or so of what are annually among the most accurate mock drafts. Half had Williams coming off first, half had Iglesias coming off first. All had them both coming off in the mid 2nd, so this is about right for either player.

The New York Jets select Juaquin Iglesias, WR - Oklahoma.

neko is now n the clock for the Eagles.

Most boards I've seen have both Williams and Iglesias with about the same grades as Louis Murphy and Ramses Barden. Just a step below Robiske.

I just checked a half dozen or so of what are annually among the most accurate mock drafts. Half had Williams coming off first, half had Iglesias coming off first. All had them both coming off in the mid 2nd, so this is about right for either player.

You are much more up on this stuff than I am, just making sure you didn't miss anybody.

I wouldn't be sad to see either fall to the Steelers as we lost a WR as a free agent. However I doubt they will take a WR unless he is a real value.

Craig

I haven't studied Pitt all that closely, but it seems like they could use some more help keeping Ben upright. Late in the 2nd would seem to be a good time to start seeing some of the better interior linemen start coming off the board.

EDIT: Wow, Rothlesberger's consistent. 46 sacks in '06, 47 in '07, 46 in '08. I'm going to start referring to him as "Ben Three-Sacks."

I haven't studied Pitt all that closely, but it seems like they could use some more help keeping Ben upright. Late in the 2nd would seem to be a good time to start seeing some of the better interior linemen start coming off the board.

EDIT: Wow, Rothlesberger's consistent. 46 sacks in '06, 47 in '07, 46 in '08. I'm going to start referring to him as "Ben Three-Sacks."

I expect they will look to draft some depth for the OL. However they managed to resign all the starters from the superbowl team and appear to be happy enough with the current line. The line did improve in the second half of the season after a number of changes in the off season and in the early games. Steelers do not like reaching for a player.

<edit>The last two years in particular the OL has not been the strength of the Steelers but some of those sacks come from Ben's attempting to shrug off attackers and make the big play. I would say thats a problem except he continues to make plenty of those big plays like the one in the superbowl. A lot of people say he's lucky but regular fans have watched him do it too many times to believe it is just luck.

Craig

...aaaaaaaaaaaaand now my guy is gone. No one wanted to trade with me, damnit. :D

BuffaloSabresBrewer is now on the clock for the Vikings.

How did he drop so low?? Didn't even notice we were ignoring OL.

Craig

Mostly just team needs. I think Beatty is a 2nd round guy with a lot of potential to be a solid starting LT. He's certainly a 2nd tier guy along with Eben Britton, but I expect him to go a bit earlier than this.

I guess I should have just brought up the trade on one of the picks that we were all doing for someone else rather than waiting for a pick being made by an individual. I didn't want it to appear that I was trying to get the Lions an unrealistic deal though. Oh well, now I'll keep my 2 3rd round picks. :D

Back