HBT NFL Mock Draft '09

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Vikings have one of the worst sets of wide receivers in football. Tavaris Jackson is NOT the answer for them long-term at QB, but there's no one left that's close to being worth #22 for them. Sounds like they could use a tackle as well, but all the top-tier guys are off the board.

What about Hakeem Nicks?

Scouting report on Nicks seems good. Seems to have some size, good route runner, good hands, not necessarily a great deep threat but sounds like a very good possession-type receiver. I think Percy Harvin's still on our board, who's on the small size but seems to be more of a home-run receiver. I think either would be viable.

Most 'experts' have Harvin at #3. Berrian is a solid #2 and a decent #1. Sidney rice is a #3, I think it's WR here and probably Harvin.

For the 22nd the Viking select Percy Harvin WR from Florida for his speed and deep threat ability. I was going to wait to be skipped for old times sake but oh well.

YES!

With pick #23, the New England Patriots select Brian Cushing, linebacker, from USC.

All of the reports indicate that not only is he a very smart player and a good pass rusher, but he's very versatile. The Pats love linebackers who can move around; Mayo also played both inside and out in college, Adelius Thomas played all over the place (including a little at safety) for Baltimore before the Pats signed him.

Perfect match. DAMN, I hope this happens!

With pick #23, the New England Patriots select Brian Cushing, linebacker, from USC.
That'd be a great pick for the Pats if Cushing's still on the board. Out of interest, if he was gone at this point (and assuming the Pats still went for a LB rather than secondary or best available athlete) who would your next choice have been? I'm thinking Maybin or Clay Matthews.

Sorry guys, been a little busy this weekend.

bird, that would be a great match for the Pats, but I think that there is almost no chance that Cushing lasts that long IRL.

Danek, before the combine Matthews was viewed by most as a 3rd round prospect. His workouts may have vaulted him into the first round, but I'd be *very* surprised if he goes ahead of Cushing and/or Laurinaitis.

Both Cushing and Laurinaitis have shown much more on tape. Laurinaitis slacked a little his senior year, and Cushing has been labeled slightly 'fragile' after the past two seasons.

I'd love to see the Pats use their multitude of picks to move up and grab Cushing. Being greedy, I'm also hopeful that Matthews might still be kicking around for our early 2nd rounder (assuming that wasn't what we use to move up for Cushing).

I think this is the year the Pats move up, not down. As usual, not a ton of roster spots, but we NEED linebackers and there's a bunch of good ones this year (thanks, Pete Carrill!)

Fish are another team that could use help at receiver. Ted Ginn Jr. has to have been one of the dumbest top-ten picks in recent history, he may carve out a role for himself in the league but he's NOT a #1 guy. Too bad (well, not really) they had no clue how good Wes Welker was, and that they gave away Chris Chambers! That's be a pretty damn good receiving corps!

The Dolphins also need help at CB and LB. WR is certainly a need, but I just don't see Parcells taking one here unless Harvin is still on the board.

I like Alphonso Smith here.

Darrius Heyward-Bey is also available, though I expect the fish won't take a WR unless a steal drops their way.

Looks like defense has several needs at LB, line and CB. Smith would not be a bad choice, neither would Maybin or Laurinaitis.

Craig

I wouldn't read too much into that. Haven't they had the other guys (Curry, Monroe, Smith) in as well? They've got to do every ounce of due diligence they can; I mean, I won't be shocked in the least if Stafford is their man, but whether they bring him in now for a private session is irrelevant. They'd be stupid not to!

I wouldn't read too much into that. Haven't they had the other guys (Curry, Monroe, Smith) in as well? They've got to do every ounce of due diligence they can; I mean, I won't be shocked in the least if Stafford is their man, but whether they bring him in now for a private session is irrelevant. They'd be stupid not to!

They had a little bit of an article on NFL.com that just said they wanted to bring him in to take him out of his comfort zone of the pro day and combine.

Was just reading on ESPN that San Diego (#16) doesn't have a second round pick. Pats have about twenty of 'em. Seems logical that the Pats give #23 and #58 for #16, doesn't it? That would probably put New England in a position to draft Maualuga or Cushing and address their biggest need. Belichick likes to stockpile future picks; this might be a year to take advantage of the quality LBs available in the middle of round 1.

At this point in the offseason, 90% of everything that a team does is misdirection to keep other teams from being able to guess what they actually want to do on draft day.

The Lions are doing all of the things that they should be doing, without showing their hand. I wouldn't read too much into the Stafford workout either. That's standard practice every year for the team holding the top pick, as well as other teams.

sorry bout the wait but with the 26th pick of the 2009 draft the baltimore ravens takes rb chris 'beanie' wells from the ohio state university

i know hes not a big need but i also believe that he is one of the better players available, besides i really want the lions to take him.

Dude is now on the clock and we'll all be making his pick for him.

I think it's time to end Peria Jerry's fall here.

Sounds good to me. Ziggy Hood's still around, too; the Pats seemed to be sniffing around him. Defensive line, though, is where they need help.

What about word out of Denver that they're now looking to trade Cutler? I think this makes it a lock that they're taking Sanchez at #12 if he's available.

Sounds good to me. Ziggy Hood's still around, too; the Pats seemed to be sniffing around him. Defensive line, though, is where they need help.

What about word out of Denver that they're now looking to trade Cutler? I think this makes it a lock that they're taking Sanchez at #12 if he's available.

Cutler is not listed on the team's official online depth chart, and you can't find his jerseys anywhere in their online shop. He is still listed on their roster and still has a bio page though.

I don't expect the Lions to be able to land Cutler. If they do, it will have to wait until draft day and either Stafford or Sanchez will have to be on the board at #12. Denver likely doesn't want the #1 overall pick. If they can take their QB at #12 then they may be willing to do a deal for #20.

I suspect that someone will make them an offer that they can't refuse before the draft though.

With the 27th selection the Colts take Peria Jerry, DT - Ole Miss.

neko is now on the clock for the Eagles.

Damn, now we're rollin' :rockin:

hokster is now on the clock for the Giants.

Given the status of Burress, I think that the Giants will go WR here. They stocked up the defense in free agancy.

Darrius Heyward-Bey, possibly Kenny Britt. Brian Robiske is climbing up some draft boards as well, but this may be a bit early for him to come off the board.

Given the status of Burress, I think that the Giants will go WR here. They stocked up the defense in free agancy.

Darrius Heyward-Bey, possibly Kenny Britt. Brian Robiske is climbing up some draft boards as well, but this may be a bit early for him to come off the board.

I don't think Burress will be back with the Giants in the fall. They are going to need a receiver that can contribute this fall. I think Darrius Heyward-Bey is a good value here. Robiske will probably make a good NFL receiver but I don't think he is first round material. He is smart and technical but not as physically gifted and talented as would be expected this high.

Craig

That's the thing, though, it's pretty rare for a rookie wideout to have much of an impact.

Thought out of left field; Chaz Johnson is still trying to work his way out of Cinci. Any chance he could be on his way to New York?

Given Tom Coughlin's the Giants' coach, I can't see Ocho Cinco on his way there. But I do think there's a possibility of the Giants trading for Anquan Boldin, and if so, their calculus changes quite a bit.

I'm trying to work a trade, so I may take until the end of the day to make the pick, but I just wanted to let you know I know I'm on the clock. ;)

Back