Handpump connection advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It might be a bad breather, it did arrive faulty but with the help of RLBS I managed to fix it. Can still be some other issue remaining of course, but I don't feel the need to go back to it now, I'm quite happy with how the mylar bags works. I try to transfer to them as oxygen free as possible and I guess I finish one rather quickly.

So I got my hand pull all set up, I first set it up in my basement and was serving a strong bitter at basement temp, currently 52f and it's great. I hosted our homebrew club meeting this past Tuesday and we have some older gentlemen that I didn't want to have to walk down my basement stairs. So I ran a line up to my kitchen, it's probably a 15 ish foot run and I could probably trim some of the line off but I'm getting some air in the line that I wasn't getting when I was serving from the basement, though the pours are still good. My question is, if I were to move the demand valve to upstairs closer to the handpull would that eliminate my issue? Currently the demand valve is next to the keg in the basement, and I am serving via a corny keg with about 2psi of co2 pressure.

So I got my hand pull all set up, I first set it up in my basement and was serving a strong bitter at basement temp, currently 52f and it's great. I hosted our homebrew club meeting this past Tuesday and we have some older gentlemen that I didn't want to have to walk down my basement stairs. So I ran a line up to my kitchen, it's probably a 15 ish foot run and I could probably trim some of the line off but I'm getting some air in the line that I wasn't getting when I was serving from the basement, though the pours are still good. My question is, if I were to move the demand valve to upstairs closer to the handpull would that eliminate my issue? Currently the demand valve is next to the keg in the basement, and I am serving via a corny keg with about 2psi of co2 pressure.
With a long line, yes, I think it’s better to have the demand valve closer to the pump.

Edit: double check there’s no air entering a poor seal where the line connects to and exits the valve. That’s been an issue for me. Eyeball it while someone else pulls the pump.

Last edited:
I was thinking that.. I'll change it around and see what happens, thanks. Here is a bad pic of a pour from yesterday, the beer is clear, the pic is blurry.
20240314_183035.jpg

Well as I just got my Mason in yesterday, sorry to resurrect but I'm thinking on this. Two things come to mind - one is from a member on another site, who said his low pressure propane regulator eventually got "furry," i.e., mold, I'm guessing mucor or black mold of some sort. The other is the notion that the constant, if low pressure of the propane regulator helps extend the life of the ale out a bit longer than the breather/"aspirator?

And I will plead very limited DIY...anything. Using a corny. @McMullan, I see your T setup and so forth, but at least to start, is there any kind of a problem just connecting a single 3/8" gas line throughout the system (with proper adaptors, of course. I think I'd likely need 3/8" NPT to 3/8" flares and barbs).

Back