1/2" ID line to ball-lock liquid and gas QDs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cider Wraith

Reaction score
Looking for options to connect 1/2 ID line so as to run through corny liquid / gas QDs.

Imagine two 1/2" ID lines going to / from liquid pump ... wanting to draw out of corny liquid post, back into gas post, for cleaning / rinsing.

The immediate answer to the question would be ball-lock QDs offered with 1/2" barbs, and in fact here is one. But at these prices two of these with tax, title, tags, and dealer prep would be more than the cost of the pump ... Could anyone kindly recommend this same functionality for a reasonable price? And don't need the the QD to have valves. Just ordinary QDs with 1/2" barbs. Thanks for any insights / suggestions.
barbed_qd.png

Last edited:
Are you saying that will go on an ordinary QD threaded swivel screw attachment point?

Last edited:
That "swivel flare" adapter will thread onto a cornelius keg disconnect with a standard 1/4" MFL thread - but if you are looking for a barbed connector that will handle 1/2" ID, that swivel adapter will not work, as it clearly states it is for 1/2" OD hose (why the heck they use OD on a barbed connector is another issue) which means something smaller than 1/2" ID. My guess is 3/8" ID which I guess is a thing for gas tubing (why, again, is a good question).

Given the dip tubes on a corny keg are like 1/4" ID I don't think there's a lot of throughput gain to be had using larger tubing for cleaning...

Cheers!

Given the dip tubes on a corny keg are like 1/4" ID I don't think there's a lot of throughput gain to be had using larger tubing for cleaning...
Thanks - ah, good observation, everything you wrote.

Yeah was thinking maximizing the size of tubing until getting to the QD would maximize throughput but maybe not. Nonetheless, I'm stuck with 1/2" ID barb connectors at the pump, so how to do the step-down? Are SS 1/2" ID to 3/8" ID straight-through reducers offered? What's the simplest solution given being committed to 1/2" ID barbs on the pump side? Thanks for any thoughts.

Last edited:
Sure. But are you sure you don't need 5/16" on the keg QD end?
Thanks for the reply. Well, the only thing I'm sure of is I'm committed to getting from 1/2" ID into QDs. Don't care how I do it other than the simpler solution the better

Last edited:
Check this out. Read the description for this and it says, ...

"One side threads on to the MFL (male flare) on beer or gas keg quick disconnects (or any other male flare fitting) and the other side has a 1/2" hose barb."

It's not clear, but maybe that's isn't saying that the barb is for a 1/2" OD hose but instead it's actually a 1/2" barb ... if so, that's the simplest option and does allow to use the largest ID hose for maximum throughput. Thanks for any feedback!

Last edited:
Sure. But are you sure you don't need 5/16" on the keg QD end?
Yes, believe you're right. Here's my all purpose hose, bought a box of this and use it for everything, and I believe I bought a couple dozen 5/16" barb swivel nut connectors...
hose.jpeg

...and when the hose is heated up in hot water it goes on with some force and gives an extra tight seal
hose2.jpeg

Last edited:
I assume there are thread to barb adapters on the pump. Maybe you can just swap those for 1/4" or 5/16" barbs when you want to use the pump for cleaning?

Reducer is probably the cheapest option, especially if you settle for plastic. Which is probably good enough if this is just for cleaning.

Thanks for the reply. Sorry to be troubling you folks and appreciate the feedback ... this is way more complex than it should be

Earlier I posted a similar question and got a nice response from @Broken Crow who posted a link to this

Ball Lock Keg QD Post (free flowing) to 1/2'' Female NPT

That looked good and then got to thinking, with that I'm committing to small lines beginning immediately at the pump, and with the drawback that then there's a QD post permanently attached to the pump that itself will need cleaning

So bought these adaptors, which give an instant connection and high throughput

connectors.jpeg

And you're right, if those barbed assemblies were available in smaller diameters that would do it, but couldn't find that.

The bit of a deal-breaker would be to leave long wet lines permanently attached and dangling off the pump. Can anyone else relate to the hassle of permanently attached lines? And of course removable lines means they can be rinsed and dried and put away and the pump can be stored in a small, tidy space with it's ports fully open assisting internal drying

Last edited:
The connectors in the first post have nothing to do with a corny keg post and is completely incompatible.
If you want to use 1/2" ID tubing to get into ball lock corny keg disconnects, that answer was correct in post number 2. A 1/2" barb is for 1/2" ID tubing. That's just how hose barbs are named (for the hose ID they will insert into). It's a bit obnoxious though because the bore of the flare connection itself as well as the opening in the male flare of the ball lock QD is only 3/16"

I'd probably go with 3/8" ID tubing and use Swivel Flare Adapter - 1/4'' FFL x 3/8'' OD hose barb

If you use 3/8" ID silicone tubing, it will easily stretch over the 1/2" barb of this fitting which looks like what you got there already.

1681760928852.png

Greetings friend @Bobby_M sorry, terribly sorry I hadn't seen this earlier. Hadn't got a notification of your response. I'll reread this carefully and reply. Thank you

Latest posts

Back