Guiness: which form

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rewster451

Reaction score
For Guiness drinkers, on tap is almost always the fave. But among the storebought varieties, which do you prefer, Extra Stout, Draught can, or Draught bottle? I prefer the Draught can, because it seems more like tap. Then Extra, then the widget bottle.

Foreign stout bottles. Yeah you don't get that creamy widget head, but the canned and bottled versions with the widget taste WAY too watered down to be good guinness, IMHO.

I agree with Orrelse. The creamy head is nice from those widgeted products, but the more roasted flavor of the extra stout blows the others away.

I have a green bottle of Guinness Gold. Has anyone tried this one?

rewster451 said:
For Guiness drinkers, on tap is almost always the fave. But among the storebought varieties, which do you prefer, Extra Stout, Draught can, or Draught bottle? I prefer the Draught can, because it seems more like tap. Then Extra, then the widget bottle.

I'm with you in that order. I really can't stand the bottle. Only when absolutely necessary will I drink it out of the bottle. I had 5 pints of tap draught on Saturday, it was a treat as we usually don't see Guiness on tap when we go out. I had almost forgot how good it is. :D

loop

i hate the creamy smoothness of canned guinnes, or beamish. i think in the bar they use a co2/no2 mix anyway, not straight no2.

for me the bottles taste way better, and are more bitter. and i really like using guinnes bottles as they have a cool shape and are really dark.

cgravier said:
i hate the creamy smoothness of canned guinnes, or beamish. i think in the bar they use a co2/no2 mix anyway, not straight no2.

for me the bottles taste way better, and are more bitter. and i really like using guinnes bottles as they have a cool shape and are really dark.

Yup the bottles are a cool hour glass shape, a la Marylin Monroe, plus the labels come off lickity split.

loop

loopmd said:
Yup the bottles are a cool hour glass shape, a la Marylin Monroe, plus the labels come off lickity split.

loop

the sexiest bottles are anchor's but unfortunately they are now 'twist' offs.

Even though the cans and bottles w/widgets seem a little watered, I think that they still make a nice pour, and like them better than the extra. Nothing beats a good pour from a professional tap, though. One of my favorites locals, John Stones in Ashland, MA has Guiness, Murphy's and Beamish- I love it!

Back