Group Buy in Chicago #7

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ok. we topped out at 333 sacks of grain. Each pallet holds a maximum of 42 sacks so we are at essentially 8 pallets (8*42=336). A 9th pallet will be required for all of the other stuff such as hops, fruit purees, wood products, chemicals, etc.

Pallet charges are $78/pallet so at 9 pallets we are looking at $702. There is also a hazmat charge of $15.

I have deiced that we will get the paper bags for the splits and their cost is $40. So below is a breakdown of the shipping & 'handling' costs:

$702.00 Pallet Delivery
$15.00 Hazmat Charges
$40.00 Paper bags for splits
$25.00 Website template
$75.00 Lunch for 6 guys doing splits

$857.00 Total add-on charges

The total pounds of everything ordered is 17,951. So the additional costs are about $0.048 per pound (less than a nickel).

Well done, as always fellas (and fella-ettes?)

Thanks all. It sucks, but means I can take a week and focus on the business development aspect of my brewery. Day job + three year old + two month old means I substitute sleep in favor of working on the business. :)

Thanks all. It sucks, but means I can take a week and focus on the business development aspect of my brewery. Day job + three year old + two month old means I substitute sleep in favor of working on the business. :)

it sucks that you lost your job but look at another bright spot besides the ones you mentioned above, you will have time to brew and perfect your recipes for when you go pro.

any idea when the totals will be ready? just want to get the money out of my account..LOL

any idea when the totals will be ready? just want to get the money out of my account..LOL

Ghoti is working out some kinks regarding the splits. There were some "phantom" splits that were created but they were not allotted to anyone. So he is cleaning that up. With this being the weekend he's busy with family obligations I'm assuming. I'm thinking another day or two.

First I split a basic Pils-based grist (with minimal amounts of caramunch, wheat, and sugar) between WY1388 and 3711.

Then yesterday did a Session APA starting at 1.046. Was even aiming a little lower, but I'll deal. Minimal amount of Magnum to bitter then about 5 oz Cascade and Amarillo in the whirlpool. Continuing my comparison of S-05 vs. WY1275 in American styles.

Threadjack: my keezer seems to have lost its ability to stay cold this weekend. Anybody know of a cheap repair person/ any other option than replacing it?

End threadjack.

Threadjack: my keezer seems to have lost its ability to stay cold this weekend. Anybody know of a cheap repair person/ any other option than replacing it?

End threadjack.

If the motor within the compressor or the compressor itself is failing then it's probably time for a new freezer chest. Usually, the motors are installed inside the compressor assembly and hermetically sealed. If indeed it is the motor/compressor than the cost of replacing it and labor charges will probably be more than the cost of a new freezer. Buy a new one and keep the old one in your garage. You can stick a heater inside connected to a temp controller during the winter to lager. Not sure how it can be used in the summer. By the way, the Costco in Melrose Park has 7 cu. ft. freezers for $174.99 every price. Good luck.

If the motor within the compressor or the compressor itself is failing then it's probably time for a new freezer chest. Usually, the motors are installed inside the compressor assembly and hermetically sealed. If indeed it is the motor/compressor than the cost of replacing it and labor charges will probably be more than the cost of a new freezer. Buy a new one and keep the old one in your garage. You can stick a heater inside connected to a temp controller during the winter to lager. Not sure how it can be used in the summer. By the way, the Costco in Melrose Park has 7 cu. ft. freezers for $174.99 every price. Good luck.

Best price I am seeing online for 7 CF freezers is well over $200, Costco included. I will take a look at the one on Damen next time I go down there.

The small chest freezers that hold two kegs are on sale at Jewel grocery stores currently. They are off brand freezers but I've been running mine for over two years with no problems. Plus you get a coupon book that has $170ish worth of free food coupons for various items in the store. Last time I did this the food items were mostly things I eat anyway so it was a deal for me.

image-4286460810.jpg

Everybody check their item orders to make sure your stuff is included. I will go through the pricing later on today.

Best price I am seeing online for 7 CF freezers is well over $200, Costco included. I will take a look at the one on Damen next time I go down there.

Here are some pics of the freezer chest I was referring to. Took them just now at Costco in Melrose Park. I hope the attachments went through.

ForumRunner_20130218_133805.jpg

ForumRunner_20130218_133836.jpg

bmason1623 said:
Here are some pics of the freezer chest I was referring to. Took them just now at Costco in Melrose Park. I hope the attachments went through.

That's the same size I have now. Good price. Thanks Bill

Definitely check Craigslist first. I picked up a 7cu ft chest freezer for $50 and a 14cu ft for $100 thanks to CL.

cadwallion said:
Definitely check Craigslist first. I picked up a 7cu ft chest freezer for $50 and a 14cu ft for $100 thanks to CL.

I bought mine on there about 1.5 years ago for $40. Worked great until now. I looked this morning without much luck really. Mostly 5 cf and under for over $100. Just gotta keep looking.

I think finding great deals on CL for freezer chests is going to as tough as finding great deals on corny kegs. This hobby is booming and that stuff is in high demand thus prices are higher than in the past.

On another note, Costco gives all appliances a lifetime return policy. That is why I try to shop at Costco whenever possible.

Everybody check their item orders to make sure your stuff is included. I will go through the pricing later on today.

Bill,

The pricing on the spreadsheet and on the website vary, I assume that spreadsheet price is correct?

T

If anyone signed up for too much melanoidin malt, let me know. I did not include it with my order and I wish that I did. So I'd be up to taking or sharing someone's split etc. of it, or something like it.

Quantities look good. I can PayPal or just drop off cash when you've got the totals.

Thanks for all your efforts!

Just verify the items and quantities for now. I'll update pricing on the spreadsheet later. Thanks.

The groupbuy dashboard site won't load for me, so I'm not able to check. I'll assume that you guys will get things on track when you can, I check in later.

bmason1623 said:

Just saw them for the same price at the one Glenview. I wonder why they don't advertise those online.

Quantities on my order are fine but i think price for falconer hops was higher in the catalog than it is on the spreadsheet ($8.30 vs 10)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back