Group Buy in Chicago #7

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
would anybody in the group buy object if we asked everyone to pitch in a cumulative total of maybe $25 extra so I can buy some burgers and brats for the guys who will be helping out with the crapload of splits? I figure it's going to take us at least 6 hours to do all of the splits. The least we can do is feed them. Is that cool?

Fine with me!

well I intended on supplying my home brew but I guess the secret is out that I am the world's worst brewer. Maybe I should buy them some beer too...

I too will bring a keg or partial of something, I've got farmhouse saison, a dbl choc stout, a dragons milk clone, and an overly Amarillo hopped american wheat on tap..

I just put a half sack of MO back online. Anyone interested. I would take 10 lbs of Chocolate if others are still interested.

I have 3-4 gallons of my wookey Jill (my yells was off so not quite as strong as wookey jack) I can bring as well.

I too will bring a keg or partial of something, I've got farmhouse saison, a dbl choc stout, a dragons milk clone, and an overly Amarillo hopped american wheat on tap..

I can bring my Kentucky Breakfast Stout clone. That should make the splits very interesting.

I can bring my Kentucky Breakfast Stout clone. That should make the splits very interesting.

ha. remember fellas, first we split then we drink. otherwise, everyone's orders will get screwed up.

I bet the grain splits go faster than the hops.

true. before any splits we need to sort all of the sacks on to separate pallets. I have plenty of room now to arrange stuff on pallets.

How many unique orderers do we have?

Was that 6k#s in splits?

Who has a session beer on deck?

I was just going to try and place an order tonight before this closes tomorrow night, but I cannot download the catalog. There used to be a link on the page, but now all I see is a link to the spreadsheets.

Can somebody help me out?

Saison tastes light and sessionable, dry at 8.5%

Mmmm sounds good but gonna have to give that the makers mark treatment and cut it with water.

6000 lbs of split at quarter sacks is ~420 sacks/bags/buckets.

We'll need a couple big scales and a couple breweries worth of empty sacks.

I have a electronic refrigeration tank scale that will weigh up to 125lbs and has tenth of an ounce accuracy and a butchers mechanical scale that has to the 1/4 of a pound accuracy, but only goes up to 25lbs, like the one at brew and grow but not as crappy. Let me know if you want to use them? Do you guys need boxes?

starman said:
Mmmm sounds good but gonna have to give that the makers mark treatment and cut it with water.

6000 lbs of split at quarter sacks is ~420 sacks/bags/buckets.

We'll need a couple big scales and a couple breweries worth of empty sacks.

How many lbs do you think would fit in a paper grocery bag?
I see sams sells them 500 for $36 delivered but I also think Aldi is like .05 each.

We've reached the last 24 hours of the group buy. I'll check in on the splits in the afternoon and start picking up stray splits where I can.

Bill, as long as I'm not speaking at a conference this time (which hilariously enough the next one is March 5-9), I'll volunteer my services and drive out from Sycamore to help with managing splits since last time I had to bail on account of being in a different time zone. :)

Wow, folks have been busy. I checked splits earlier and something like 20 splits were active, and most of those are gone and there are only 11 currently open? I may not have much more to add to my order.

Bill you officially suckered me in....i caved, i jumped in on a few splits. Im sure Ill be watching to see if any more happen to pop up!!!

Bill,

Just want to clarify one thing since the buy is closing tonight. For those of us who are planning to order a JD barrel, are we supposed to enter it onto this group buy sheet? Or will this barrel purchase be handled off line in a separate transaction?

Mark

How many lbs do you think would fit in a paper grocery bag?
I see sams sells them 500 for $36 delivered but I also think Aldi is like .05 each.

Those might work well for 1/4 sack splits. Double bagged folded over and stapled. Labels would stick well too.

We could then use the empty quarter split sacks for half sacks.

Bill,

Just want to clarify one thing since the buy is closing tonight. For those of us who are planning to order a JD barrel, are we supposed to enter it onto this group buy sheet? Or will this barrel purchase be handled off line in a separate transaction?

Mark

I'm not sure. Maybe add it to the final spreadsheet? Do we have 4 barrels accounted for?

I have a electronic refrigeration tank scale that will weigh up to 125lbs and has tenth of an ounce accuracy and a butchers mechanical scale that has to the 1/4 of a pound accuracy, but only goes up to 25lbs, like the one at brew and grow but not as crappy. Let me know if you want to use them? Do you guys need boxes?

Cool thanks, will do. Although i was looking for an excuse to piss my wife off about something else... currently weigh out grains 2 lb at a time on the hop scale.

Bill did your big grocery scale get healthy?

Cool thanks, will do. Although i was looking for an excuse to piss my wife off about something else... currently weigh out grains 2 lb at a time on the hop scale.

Bill did your big grocery scale get healthy?

I have a second scale we can use; it goes to 100 lbs.

I was just going to try and place an order tonight before this closes tomorrow night, but I cannot download the catalog. There used to be a link on the page, but now all I see is a link to the spreadsheets.

Can somebody help me out?

Found a copy of the sheets on my work computer this morning so now I just need to quickly go through and see if there is anything I need to order.

does anyone want to do a split on black malt or roast barley? I don't want very much so I'd need a lot of interest in a small amount of hours. PM if so.

Did you find anyone to split black malt? I just put up a 4 way split of Briess Black Wheat Malt. You can use this malt for color without the bitterness of a roasted malt. I've used it in the past to give my darker Belgians some color.

Crazy good..

I say lets get as many as people want, I'm only thinking its fair to look at it as first inquiry gets first right of refusal to fill a skid (4-5) and there are always the last minute back-outs.

This is what I have in order of responses from post 149 forward
C=Confirmed U=Not Confirmed
Neopol (C),
Gothic Horror (C),
TBU (U-Split?),
Mark(427Cobra)(C),
Cheesecake (U)

If I am in err or missed you please speak up. I went back to post 149 to current prior to knowing pricing/shipping.

Gentlemen,

I asked Bill if we needed to place our barrel order before the buy ends tonight. He was asking who is interested. Now is the time to speak up and confirm who is purchasing a barrel. If a few members are going to brew together and use only one barrel, it would be helpful if only one member stepped forward for that group. We need to get a barrel count.

I am purchasing a barrel.

Who else?

Gentlemen,

I asked Bill if we needed to place our barrel order before the buy ends tonight. He was asking who is interested. Now is the time to speak up and confirm who is purchasing a barrel. If a few members are going to brew together and use only one barrel, it would be helpful if only one member stepped forward for that group. We need to get a barrel count.

I am purchasing a barrel.

Who else?

Mark, that is the most current information backtracking through posts.

If anyone is interested in 53 gal JD Barrel please respond or pm me so I can account for you...I will periodically update through the day or as it changes.. 1 more possibly 2 to fill a pallet from Lynchburg,TN
Thanks
Dave

J.D. Barrel confirmation update

Time To lift off T minus 13 hours and counting.

This is what I have:

Neopol (C),
Mark(427Cobra)(C),
Gothic Horror (C),
Cadwallion (C)

TBU (U-Split?),
Face eater (U)

If I am in err or missed you, please let me know.

This is what I have:

Neopol (C),
Mark(427Cobra)(C),
Gothic Horror (C),

TBU (U-Split?),
Cheesecake (U)

I am out as I have no space for one.

This is what I have:

Neopol (C),
Mark(427Cobra)(C),
Gothic Horror (C),

TBU (U-Split?),

I have space, just not enough fermenters to brew that much. If two other people could brew up 20 gallons of the same recipe to help me fill it that would be great, but I would need to know ASAP so that I could order any extra grain that I might need for the project.

So if anybody wants in on a split of a barrel let me know quickly so we can figure out a recipe and such. I'm thinking either a Tripel or an Old Ale.

If cheesecake is dropping out, I'll take on the barrel. My smoked porter could benefit from barrel-aging instead of oak chips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back