Group Buy in Chicago #7

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i just got a cheap 25 pound bag from costco. I used honey on my last batch but it gets expensive.

i just got a cheap 25 pound bag from costco. I used honey on my last batch but it gets expensive.

I know this approach does not solve the pricing issue but it's worked well for me so I thought I'd mention it. I've used it in beer, hard apple cider and hard lemonade.

I take costco honey and cook it down to about 1/2 its original volume, then add that to the cider/beer/lemonade. I let the honey get a burnt quality see the video on the below thread (but I don't typically get as "Medeivel on it", as an actor once said in the movie Pulp Fiction). Once the honey reduces, make sure to add some water to keep it from getting hard when it cools. I really like this method of adding taste.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f30/medieval-burnt-mead-112163/

I'm trying to start a split of australian summer and once I make it a split I can't add any to my order. Whenever I press the plus button either in my order or in the splits section it just stays at 0#.

I can't seem to find flaked wheat (GP-FLWHT) in the database. Is it possible to add this?

Does anyone know if any of the brewing enzymes are the one that Two Brothers uses in Prairie Path that completely denatures gluten?

I was hoping to add a 1/11 split for some Hallertauer Mittelfruh. As of now, the pricing is not loaded. Think we could get enough interest to make that happen?

I only got the one added as I have some other things going on today.

I was hoping to add a 1/11 split for some Hallertauer Mittelfruh. As of now, the pricing is not loaded. Think we could get enough interest to make that happen?

Was actually hoping to pick up some Perle, but its sold out. I decided to put a split up for some German Northern Brewer instead. If these splits don't get filled out, are the people in the split stuck with the remainder or is the order cancelled? I really don't want to get stuck with a s**t ton of German NB...

Was actually hoping to pick up some Perle, but its sold out. I decided to put a split up for some German Northern Brewer instead. If these splits don't get filled out, are the people in the split stuck with the remainder or is the order cancelled? I really don't want to get stuck with a s**t ton of German NB...

Typically if it doesn't get filled, it gets cancelled..but there's the last minute scramble nearing close-out of the buy...so don't give up hope or worry until pay-up time...

I go camping out your direction all summer long..off 47 south of the river.

Yeah, I never camped out there. I remember some BA people tried to set up an event out there a few years back.

I'd like to tip my cyber hat to everyone involved in creating the buy, especially those hosting the pickup and creating the site. Just set up a split for some rye and the only way to describe it was...simply a breeze.

Bravo :mug:

I'd like to tip my cyber hat to everyone involved in creating the buy, especially those hosting the pickup and creating the site. Just set up a split for some rye and the only way to describe it was...simply a breeze.

Bravo :mug:

Yes, I extend my thanks as well ... BTW The Splits are getting crazy! I hope everyone gets what they want.

Is there anyone interested in cluster hops???, i dont use it very often but i made some excellent IPAs (cluster+cascade) and PA and i would love to experiment more with this not crazy popular variety, best part its only $6/lb and i have to pay $2.5/oz at brew and grow which break my heart (ok wallet), o did i mention its cheap?, come one, treat yourself with some cluster hops, you deserve it :)
BTW i open a split and i took 3lbs

Hi guys,

this will be the first group buy for me. Thank you for organizing all this.

And I have a question:
What's your preferred Pilsner malt? Do you recommend Best Maltz?

Thanks.
For continental styles, Best Malz is my go-to pils malt. Weyermann is also highly recommended. For Belgian styles I like Franco-Belges pils malt.

For continental styles, Best Malz is my go-to pils malt. Weyermann is also highly recommended. For Belgian styles I like Franco-Belges pils malt.

Unfortunately, Weyermann isn't available to us because it's not offered by country malt. I also highly recommend Best Malz Pilsen and Vienna too.

We also need to reimburse ghoti for the website template that he purchased for the database. How much do we owe you, Ghoti?

Ghoti and I were discussing the numerous splits in this order. There are so many that it may take a full day (either a Saturday or Sunday) to split grain up. The sorting of grain and related splits needs to be taken care of first prior to any grain being picked up. I hope everyone understands.

still at 173 sacks as of this morning. that is just over 4 full pallets. so as of right now we are looking at freight charges for 5 pallets.

Bill,

With all the splits and the extra time and effort, I can help out if you need more assistance. I have a digital scale for another weighing station. Just let me know.

Mark

Ghoti and I were discussing the numerous splits in this order. There are so many that it may take a full day (either a Saturday or Sunday) to split grain up. The sorting of grain and related splits needs to be taken care of first prior to any grain being picked up. I hope everyone understands.

I will volunteer a Saturday or Sunday to assist, as well as pick up any south-siders, NW Indiana folks orders if they prearrange and notify those in need of knowing. Save those empty grain sacks and liners, I think I have 10 or so to donate to the good fight.

Somebody take that last 1/4 sack of Briess Cherry Wood Smoked ...
mmm mmm doesn't a cherry wood smoked porter sound good about this time of day.

Here's some info on the Australian Summer Hop: http://www.hops.com.au/products/australian_varieties/summer_saaz.html
Sounds like it's in the same fruity vein of other new Australian/NZ hops with apricot and melon flavors. Lower AAs than Galaxy or Topaz, good for late flavor and aroma additions.

I'm also available most days if you need someone to lug around sacks/drink some beer.

Im not sure all the split will get filled (specially hops splits), should we cancel not filled ones by specific date? , maybe we will go back to 168 sacks then?

I took a page from Bill's book and added an extra sack that I probably don't quite need atm. If we need to drop later, I will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back