Greetings from the Brew City

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freemanmh

Reaction score
Hey folks! I'm Mark (or Stash, if you're a gamer like me), I'm from Milwaukee (well, IN Milwaukee is a more correct way of phrasing it, I'm actually FROM locations further south...but I digress), and I can tell already I'm going to become addicted to this hobby.

I've always wanted to brew my own, but never took the plunge. Partly because the ex-SWMBO is a swill-drinker who would have balked at the thought of it, partly because I always thought it'd be too hard to get into, and partly because I just never got beyond the novelty of the idea. Well...three years ago the ex legally became an ex, this nifty little thing called the internet proved that it's not hard to get into, and I damned well decided it wasn't just novel, it was necessary.

So...with my birthday coming up next Sunday, I decided that this year my present to myself was going to be a starter kit and some brewing. I found out that Northern Brewer has a location here in Milwaukee, stopped in last Friday after work, and after spending about an hour with a very helpful young lady walked out with everything I needed to get started. Brewed my first extract kit Saturday night (NB's Bavarian Hefe Weizen). When I woke up Sunday morning and saw the air lock bubbling and smelled the yeast, I knew I was hooked. When I realized less than 12 hours after pitching the yeast that I needed to replace that air lock with a blowoff tube, one of the kids took an interest too and wanted an explanation.

Can't wait to get that first one bottled and start another. Already scheming on what the next will be...and the next...and the next. And...I'm sanitizing my 5 gallon Better Bottle as I type so that I can start up a batch of Apfelwein.

Love the forums - have already learned so much and feel right at home.

Welcome to HBT! I grew up in Milwaukee...when there were FOUR breweries going full-tilt! Ah, the aroma of yeast and hops on a warm, summer day! Again, welcome to the insanity called "brewing."

glenn514:mug:

Back