Grainfather and EBIAB COMPARISON?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfenton78

Reaction score
Hey all...

I've seen videos comparing the Braumeister and the Grainfather, but I'm wondering if there are any comparisons of the grainfather to a Ebiab with recirc?

I'm currently designing my 2000w Ebiab system based on a bayou classic 44 qt and march pump. I think this system will suit me nicely for brewing 5 gal batches indoors during the fridged MN winters.

So what say you...any ebiab vs the latest and hotest grainfather?

No help with your comparison but indoor winter brewin is awesome.Theres a certain "vibe" that goes with brewin beer in a toasty house with a fire goin on an ice cold day.I do most of my brewin in the winter.

I hear ya JohnnyRotten. I've not brewed much due to the cold MN winters and my current 3v system takes me about 7 hours. With kid activities and other life things I don't have that much time.

To clarify a bit more I'd like to hear direct comparisons about ease of use, clarity, OG, FG, taste, etc.

Haven't used a Grainfather personally, but I've researched them and got a run down of one at the LHBS. Ease of use is exactly the same, with maybe a slight edge given to full volume eBIAB because you don't sparge. Also most all eBIAB rigs will have an advantage in wattage as well because of the GF's 1600 watt element, which in theory would translate to a quicker brew day. I'd classify a faster brew days as ease of use.

I can't imagine any of the other things are different (OG, FG, taste).

My own conclusion when I was debating the two options, the GF is a fine piece of equipment that makes beer, but it's overpriced compared to other more robust eBIAB options.

The GF is an eBiab, a nicely put together bit of kit but the principal is just BIAB, possibly maxiBiab as there is a large amount of sparge/makeup water needed.

I built a GF clone I thought it might replace my recirculating eBiab but the massive amount of sparging required sent me scuttling right back to my full volume capable BIAB rig.

Atb. Aamcle

I have both. I like the EBIAB setup better.
Grainfather cons-
Sparging. You need a 2nd pot and heat source. Plus it takes time.
Underpowered- takes longer to brew.
The grainfather counterflow chiller works great for straight up chilling and going right into the fermenter, not as good for whirlpooling and temperature controlled hopstands. You can use an immersion chiller on the grainfather, but it's easy to knock the pump filter off.
I hate the stupid clips on the grainfather- I'm never going to distill and I would rather have handles.
You can't see the volume markings on the grainfather when sparging without removing the grain basket, which means you have to wrestle this heavy, dripping thing out of the way.
The temp controller is very rudimentary and I don't trust it's accuracy. I find I have to set the controller to 154/155 in order to maintain a 152 mash. It would be nice to have an alarm and timer built in.

The grainfather makes good beer. If you are coming from a 3v system and fly sparging, it probably feels really simple and wonderful.
I'm probably biased because I started out with BIAB, and just really like the simplicity.

Back