Good Samaritan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenMonti

Reaction score
Let's do something different.
I have no idea if this already exists or has been done before. I haven't searched. However, based on the extreme generosity of a HBT member "jcav". I've been thinking.......What if we as a home brew community took care of each other in a way that helped a total stranger?

I'm sure the majority of us has extra gear or pieces of equipment that we don't use anymore, or the DIY project isn't used cause we were able to buy a slightly more refined piece. Car boys that are collecting dust, extra tubing left over from a plumbing project. Old ladder we can't use as a ladder cause of the holes drilled in it when it was used for brewing. I know you all see what I'm saying.

Now, what if we passed these pieces on to another home brewer who is in need? Pay it forward. Help one another to move up and refine their brewing skills at a faster rate. Trade up so long as the other piece is offered up. The recipient of the goods shall pay freight charges if they live in another state. Only fair in my mind.

I believe we all love our systems and our process is unique to each of us. Our beliefs of what makes a good process. Keep our passion for the hobby alive and not become drunks. i know we have a buy and sell forum. That's great. If the acts of kindness were combined into one thread we could all see the generosity of our community. How we've put greed aside and thought about another.

Don't be greedy and don't take advantage of the community.

What says the group? Anyone interested in coming together and being one and not just on the computer screen?

We used to have a thread where people could post their needs and others post their gives. Maybe too late this year for the Holidays. Can't remember why we don't have that anymore.

Anyone have a brewpub and distributing facility they no longer want? I'm in need of one...

In all seriousness though, I applaud this gesture.

Hmm. Might have to go home and take an inventory of the ever-growing pile of brewing crap in the utility room.

My wife thanks you in advance

Let's do something different.
I have no idea if this already exists or has been done before. I haven't searched. However, based on the extreme generosity of a HBT member "jcav". I've been thinking.......What if we as a home brew community took care of each other in a way that helped a total stranger?

I'm sure the majority of us has extra gear or pieces of equipment that we don't use anymore, or the DIY project isn't used cause we were able to buy a slightly more refined piece. Car boys that are collecting dust, extra tubing left over from a plumbing project. Old ladder we can't use as a ladder cause of the holes drilled in it when it was used for brewing. I know you all see what I'm saying.

Now, what if we passed these pieces on to another home brewer who is in need? Pay it forward. Help one another to move up and refine their brewing skills at a faster rate. Trade up so long as the other piece is offered up. The recipient of the goods shall pay freight charges if they live in another state. Only fair in my mind.

I believe we all love our systems and our process is unique to each of us. Our beliefs of what makes a good process. Keep our passion for the hobby alive and not become drunks. i know we have a buy and sell forum. That's great. If the acts of kindness were combined into one thread we could all see the generosity of our community. How we've put greed aside and thought about another.

Don't be greedy and don't take advantage of the community.

What says the group? Anyone interested in coming together and being one and not just on the computer screen?

I'm not surprised at all. I know John.

My ex wife needs a new mind. She seems to have lost hers during our divorce. I'd give her a piece of my mind, but then "a mind is a terrible thing to waste". I don't have any extra for wasting. If anyone has any they can't use PM me.

My ex wife needs a new mind. She seems to have lost hers during our divorce. I'd give her a piece of my mind, but then "a mind is a terrible thing to waste". I don't have any extra for wasting. If anyone has any they can't use PM me.

I'm calling my next brew "Peace of Mind" and I'm dedicating it to you. :mug:

Ruined by a bunch of grinches...

Well, not a grinch, but there was enough squabbles and "no fairs" that it required quite a bit of moderation and attention and sometimes it's harder to manage than others realize.

This year, for the first time in quite a few years, no "Pay it Forward" thread came about.

There is no Secret Santa swap this year, at least as of yet either.

It takes a long of time and work to bring these things to the members, and very few want to take that on I"m afraid. I just can't do it myself. Last year, a very responsible and honest person did the Secret Santa swap, and that was greatly appreciated!

Awe shucks guys, I am taken back! Thanks for the kind words GreenMonti and Passedpawn! I love giving back and when I give them some equipment that I don't use anymore I know those same people will pay it forward in their own way to someone else when they see a need. Pretty cool and very contagious! Merry Christmas everyone! :mug:

John

I'm calling my next brew "Peace of Mind" and I'm dedicating it to you. :mug:

You're awsome. Thank You.
Never had anything dedicated to me before.
Happy Hollidays

You see, it's just that easy to bring happiness into someone's heart.

Even if madscientist451 was being a smart a$$. There's always a bit of truth in every smart a$$ statement.

Well, not a grinch, but there was enough squabbles and "no fairs" that it required quite a bit of moderation and attention and sometimes it's harder to manage than others realize.

This year, for the first time in quite a few years, no "Pay it Forward" thread came about.

There is no Secret Santa swap this year, at least as of yet either.

It takes a long of time and work to bring these things to the members, and very few want to take that on I"m afraid. I just can't do it myself. Last year, a very responsible and honest person did the Secret Santa swap, and that was greatly appreciated!

I mean no harm. I truly am in hopes that people can be adults. I don't want any burdens placed on any one. Sadly, if this can't be because of what "we" have become. Then so be it. I will still hope that one day the world can live in peace. Work together as one without greed. Without the need to be on top or in power. Just equals.

Easiest thing to do is just list stuff in the For Sale area, preceded by "FREE".

John mentioned you in his rebuild thread. I'm just getting to know him. His generosity should be here shortly.
If listing items in the for sale area for free will make this happen. So be it. Maybe a banner or a sticky could be put up to remind others to think about sharing before making a buck.

Awe shucks guys, I am taken back! Thanks for the kind words GreenMonti and Passedpawn! I love giving back and when I give them some equipment that I don't use anymore I know those same people will pay it forward in their own way to someone else when they see a need. Pretty cool and very contagious! Merry Christmas everyone! :mug:

John

My message is clear by now. I'm just trying to spread the love around. Get folks to think outside the box. When you threw out your offer I was blown away. You remembered me and I haven't been around for years. That really made me think bro.

Thank you. Merry Christmas to you. :mug:

If listing items in the for sale area for free will make this happen. So be it. Maybe a banner or a sticky could be put up to remind others to think about sharing before making a buck.

I don't disparage people who want to sell their used stuff, but I have always given it away. I gave away my entire first brewing system some some noobs (I sorta wish I hadn't given away the Gott cooler mash tun though).

Here's how I do it on HBT:

Florida FREE: Blichmann Hop Rocket v2 w/Blich attachments. No Ship
Florida Free: 4 6g better bottles with bungs - no ship
Florida Bottles Free to good home (200-300)

I mean no harm. I truly am in hopes that people can be adults. I don't want any burdens placed on any one. Sadly, if this can't be because of what "we" have become. Then so be it. I will still hope that one day the world can live in peace. Work together as one without greed. Without the need to be on top or in power. Just equals.

I know that- I appreciate the thoughts. If someone takes ownership of a trade/giveaway/swap, I'm all for it. It's just that the last few "Pay it Forwards" had some rules, and a very very few broke those rules and made it difficult for everyone else. Just like in kindergarten- the one or two bad kids make recess impossible for the good ones.

I love giving things away, and it's possible that we could do another pay it forward if someone wants to help out with it. Otherwise, we always have the option of free sales. Let me think about this for a while, ok?

Shipping kind of spoils things for selling at a distance. I tend to sell/give more locally, especially with the homebrew club in the area now. But I think pay-it-forward is still a great idea: but as Yooper says, only if everyone plays by the rules and understands basic being nice.

Back