Good beer glasses

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What about beer goggles,googles? Good groggy groping gargyles,good charlton!

Online brewery stores :D Although to be honest I prefer to build up by barware by visiting a bunch of breweries and buying a glass or two from them. I had a pretty good selection going until St. Paddys day when a bunch of my glasses somehow became smashed. :mad: Not sure who broke them but I know it wasn't me.

These glasses from the brewery right down the street

image-1200485083.jpg

I got some nice tulip glasses and pilsner glasses from a World Market store in Charlottesville but I see they have them online as well. They call the tulip glasses "sangria" glasses. Silly retailers...

My other source is the first Thursday of every month our local brewpub, Blue Mountain Brewery, has "steal the glass." They change the glass every month and we've gotten a few pilsners and mugs.

Oh and those tulip glasses are about 13 ounces so a beer with high carbonation might take some time to pour but medium to low carb 12 ouncers will fit fine with a nice layer of foam on the top.

Crate and barrel just like someone else said you can get every style you would need there

i always thought beer glasses were a bad thing..... they lead you to take home girls that scare you the next morning.

really tho, what are you asking? the 'best' place for beer glasses? isn't really one, gotta find what ya find where ya find it. i collect bar ware (see my glass collection under my profile gallery). they've come from all over, some from bars/restaurants, some from breweries, some from HBS's, some from stores, some from craigslist. if you're looking to get some good drinking glasses, Midwest has many styles of cheap beer glasses. if you're looking for cool glassware, bars and breweries are my choice. pretty much any brewery will have their glasses on sale for cheap, and most glassware from the bar comes free with a tasty beer inside.

I got a full set of these from the $1 store that I like for beer but I am curious about these glasses with laser etched bottoms that I keep hearing about.

image-2854670998.jpg

If you're looking for sets of pint and other beer glasses right away to start your collection, go to a Target, or Meijer's, they both carry the Libbey 12 piece international beer set box, like mine were, they're designated as BAVARIAN pilsner glasses. It's like 25 bucks.

41nLDcBMaBL._AA121_.jpg

The set is made up of- 4 16-ounce English Pub glasses, 4 15-ounce Czech Pilsner glasses, and 4 15-ounce Bavarian Pilsner glasses.

They also usually carry sets of Guinness Pints as well.

051307guinness_pint.jpg

Online, this is probably my favorite site , they have an amazing selection of odd glasses https://globalbeer.3dcartstores.com/Glasses_c_36.html

I've been collecting brewery logo glasses casually for over 20 years... I say casually because it really depends on how much traveling I'm doing, and if there are any microbreweries where ever I end up. I have upwards of about 160 glasses, which is stupid if you're just looking for a glass for a beer, but pretty miniscule in the world of beer glass collecting. SWMBO has ceded me this section of the kitchen, but the other half of the glasses are in other various places around the rest of the house. Outside of some specialty glasses (like the Chimay, Duvel, Westmalle and Leffe in the photo), they're almost entirely purchased from the location printed on the pint glass.

If you're looking for a good way to get glasses I highly recommend visiting microbreweries and brewpubs, have yourself a few good brews, and get yourself a glass in the process! It's a fun hobby and it's especially cool to serve a friend a beer in the matching brewery's glass!

Glasses.jpg

I bought some of these http://www.crateandbarrel.com/dinin...es-beer-mugs/bruges-16-oz.-beer-glass/s648313 recently and really like them. I brew a lot of Belgians and Saisons and these are great for that, but I have started drinking all of my brews out of them.

They are a full 16oz, so a pour, even one that has a lot of head fits in them nicely.

+1 to these. My mom picked some up on a whim (she loves Crate and Barrel) and they seem to be very good quality.

Also, if you can find them, the New Belgium tulip glasses with the bicycle etched on the bottom are pretty ace for serving Belgians as well.

I usually purchase a glass at every brewery I visit. Most only sell your classic pint glass, so if they do happen to offer a goblet or something different I'll usually go for that.

I also steal interesting glasses from bars (make sure SWMBO brings a big purse). I know, it's morally questionable and a little risky, but they probably break more glasses in a night than I take. Whatever :mug:

I too like collecting them from breweries, although my collection is entirely too small. My favorite place in the brewing world is Stone, somehow I always end up with a glass, t-shirt, or both when I go there.

I purchased most of mine at a local beer store. I guess they get them as promo items from the breweries and resell them. Some others I've ordered from the breweries direct. Some I've bought from breweries on visits there. Others I've picked up here and there (CL and whatnot).

I absolutely DO NOT use the standard straight sided pint "shaker" glasses. Those things are not suited for serving good beer. I have a few from interesting brewery trips that have personal meaning, but they stay on the shelf.

My favorite beer glasses??
-DFH Shaped pint glass
-DFH Signature glass
-Gordon Biersch willibecher (both sizes)
-Bell's Tulip (similar to Duvel shape)
-Guinness-style tulip pints
-Boddington's Imperial pint (very unique shape - never seen another like it)

Others of interest that I have:
-Brooklyn Tulip
-BN Army and Northern Brewer willibecher
-Cigar City snifters
-A few plain Imperial half-pints (sample glasses)
-New Belgium footed glasses
-Weizen glasses
-pewter tankard
-22 oz wooden goblet

That is the best place in the world for beer glasses. I get all mine from there.

Do they have any variety? Or are we just talking shaker pints and mugs?

Another good place, particularly if you want to stock your cabinet. . .your local restaurant supply store. They probably have tons in stock and can order virtually anything. I know mine has tons and tons of glass shapes. Downside? You probably have to buy a dozen.

I once drank 6 pints and man did the girl at the end of the bar look good...oh, beer glasses not goggles!!:D

I like the wiessbier glasses my son got from World Market. They'll hold a 12oz pour with a good head,& I like the skinnier bottom on the glass. Nice grip. I also have 2 Killian's Red no nicks he gave me from an event at Stubbie's across from LCCC. I had 2 of the Cooper's no nicks,but broke one. I got some nice pint glasses from Dollar Tree,as can be seen in my beer pics in my gallery. Dito with the Steela Artois freebie many of us got.
I also have 2 crystal & pewter steins from Germany with the Bavarian crest on them via amazon.com. I got some fish bowl like glasses in the basement somwhere that are shapped like a clear chalice or something if I could just find them.

I buy my beer glasses at Marshalls, for around $5 / 4 glasses. I usually get some nice stemmed glasses as well.

Next time you are at a local establishment ask (or don't) your waitress if you can keep the glass. Most of the time they will just say yes, the rest of the time they will tell you they are $4-8. Either way you end up with a cool pint glass with a local brewery's logo on it :mug:

My favorite beer glasses are situational but if I had to choose just 1 it would be double walled and glass. I like these the best because they get no condensation and allow you to get the SRM and check the clarity very accurately. I have 3 of these: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004NBXR8O/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 but am looking at checking out smaller ones for judging/sampling like these: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000A5CLG6/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 (also available in 22oz. )

The downfall to these glasses is that if you pour an ice cold beer into it they hold the temp VERY well. This can reduce flavor and aroma perception but I try to serve my beer at the temp it tastes the best or pour smaller glasses from the bottle allowing the beer to warm in the bottle while I drink the smaller pour.

I also like the dollar tree pints/mugs and wine glasses because they are Libby and $1.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thrift stores. I get some awesome stuff pretty regular. Poked my head in 2 at random and found a sweet chalice from Alsace and a nice flute. One for 1.00 one for .45.

New Belgium has killer stemmed glasses for sale around Xmas time. laser etched bottoms.

A store in Toledo I buy beer at has a nice selection of beer glasses cheap. I got a DFH chalice I love for $4. Went back and they were out; they are on Amazon for $24 each!

I bought a really cool tulip pint heniken glass at Potosi brewery, it was in a case and actually had cobwebs and a dead bug in it,it sat around that long.I had to have it and the old lady was happy to get rid of it.
What happens a few weeks later? I drop it.One of my favorate go to glasses a short tulip pub glass.Dont really care for heineken that much-although i havenet had one in so long. I love my short tulip piraat glass as well as the sam adams shapely glass but i like drinking a good pale ale out of a simple pint glass time to time,enjoy a good mug like the pint sometimes.Love the hefeweizen glass and the samual smith long thin lager glass.Im running out of room in my cupboards too.I have a top layer full of them.I think my Sam smith tulip pint may be my favorate though.The stone snifter is pretty nice for those big beers.Love the english pub glasses also..

I got some nice tulip glasses and pilsner glasses from a World Market store in Charlottesville but I see they have them online as well. They call the tulip glasses "sangria" glasses. Silly retailers...

My other source is the first Thursday of every month our local brewpub, Blue Mountain Brewery, has "steal the glass." They change the glass every month and we've gotten a few pilsners and mugs.

Oh and those tulip glasses are about 13 ounces so a beer with high carbonation might take some time to pour but medium to low carb 12 ouncers will fit fine with a nice layer of foam on the top.

LOVE that place. :mug:

Latest posts

Back