Iittala beer glasses - are the best!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unicorn_Platypus

Urine I Pee... Eh?
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
These are hands down my favorite beer glasses in the world

Cannot recommend them enough. They work perfectly for all styles. The most universal beer glass I have ever used

Surprised they aren't more popular. So much more aromatic and better head retention than a Teku.

Every serious craft beer drinker should own one. Here's a Pic of one in action with one of my homebrews

https://www.amazon.com/Iittala-Esse...ocphy=9002075&hvtargid=pla-420376361907&psc=1
https://www.iittala.com/en-hu/tableware/drinkware/beer-glasses/essence-beer-glass-48cl-2pcs-1014439
FB_IMG_1696050241783.jpg

Xcuse me, $55 for 2 glasses?
I've owned mine for 8 years. Best glassware purchase I've ever made. They were $20 a glass back in 2015. I'd gladly pay $27.50 a glass nowadays if I needed a new one.

You get what you pay for and these are worth it. Don't knock it if you haven't tried one. Best design of any beer glass in the world!

They're $27.50 a glass, not $275 a glass. It's really not going to break the bank if you buy two glasses, come on now. I mean a four pack of the latest $hitty hazy cans from your local hipster brewery costs more than that nowadays

For something I've used as much as I have (and enjoyed as much as I've had) for close to a decade it's well worth it.

People blow a lot more money on much stupider $hit all the time

Last edited:
They're $27.50 a glass, not $275 a glass. It's really not going to break the bank if you buy two glasses, come on now. I mean a four pack of the latest $hitty hazy cans from your local hipster brewery costs more than that nowadays

For something I've used as much as I have (and enjoyed as much as I've had) for close to a decade it's well worth it.

People blow a lot more money on much stupider things all the time
I was being somewhat sarcastic. My thought is, if it is worth it to you, then why not, right? You are right, I have blown money on some stupid stuff and others have asked why. Life is too short to worry about that. If you are happy with it, then it was well worth it. Rock On!!!!!!!!

I was being somewhat sarcastic. My thought is, if it is worth it to you, then why not, right? You are right, I have blown money on some stupid stuff and others have asked why. Life is too short to worry about that. If you are happy with it, then it was well worth it. Rock On!!!!!!!!
I guess I just love these so much that I want others to know about it so they can also have the same experience as I have

Trying to spread the love 🍻

Too much for me and don't know of if I'd spend that and roll the dice with Amazon. I've gotten broken glasses before from them.

Not knocking them. They do look good, so keep spreading the love brother......

So, beer glasses. I mostly brew ales, and generally feel that a boring old "pint glass" works fine. I sometimes switch to a Bordeaux-style wine glass for imperials (and single-malt Scotches). However, when I made my first Belgian, I lusted for tulip-shaped glasses, and likewise re Pilsners and their iconic glass shape, but I haven't seen fit to spend the money or shelf space to accommodate this lust.

I'm really just curious, and have no objection to people indulging in "stupid expensive" glasses. Like high-end audio gear, the prices of which defy all common sense, fancy beer glasses seems quite harmless. They clearly provide some benefit, even if largely emotional. Tradition, and the more fleeting sense of coolness, are perfectly valid motivations, though tradition doesn't apply to Teku or Littala.

Edit: this Finnish brand starts with a double i, iitala - gotta love sans serif fonts!

All this introduces my question for OP and others: what are the perceived benefits of the glasses that some folks ballyhoo: these Iittala Essence ones beloved by @Unicorn_Platypus, the Teku glasses with their nucleation points, etc? Aroma/flavor perception? Head retention? Physical feeling in the hand or on the lips? Appearance?

Last edited:
don't know of if I'd spend that and roll the dice with Amazon. I've gotten broken glasses before from them
I've gotten broken glasses from Amazon too. They've always made it right, and quickly too. Free shipping, free returns and all that. For example, I once bought a dirt cheap set of flight glasses from them. One glass had a small chip. They gave me a full refund and told me to keep the glasses. Five free glasses is a cross I'm willing to bear. A pair of these suckers cost about five times what I paid for that six pack, so I imagine they'd want you to return the broken ones.

So, beer glasses. I mostly brew ales, and generally feel that a boring old "pint glass" works fine. I sometimes switch to a Bordeaux-style wine glass for imperials (and single-malt Scotches). However, when I made my first Belgian, I lusted for tulip-shaped glasses, and likewise re Pilsners and their iconic glass shape, but I haven't seen fit to spend the money or shelf space to accommodate this lust.

I'm really just curious, and have no objection to people indulging in "stupid expensive" glasses. Like high-end audio gear, the prices of which defy all common sense, fancy beer glasses seems quite harmless. They clearly provide some benefit, even if largely emotional. Tradition, and the more fleeting sense of coolness, are perfectly valid motivations, though tradition doesn't apply to Teku or Littala.

All this introduces my question for OP and others: what are the perceived benefits of the glasses that some folks ballyhoo: these Iittala Essence ones beloved by @Unicorn_Platypus, the Teku glasses with their nucleation points, etc? Aroma/flavor perception? Head retention? Physical feeling in the hand or on the lips? Appearance?

Great analogy with high end audio gear and I agree.

I have tons of glasses. Most of them are the shaker style pint glass. For me, the benefits are the feel of the glass and appearance. Purists would probably scoff at the thoughts of me drinking a Belgian Dubbel in a shaker pint. I'd be willing to bet I couldn't tell the difference aromatically, taste, or otherwise. I'd like the proper glass for that Belgian more for the looks of it in that scenario.

I like my glasses mostly for the logos. Most of them are more of a memory reminder of a long time ago than enhancing my drinking experience.

I've gotten broken glasses from Amazon too. They've always made it right, and quickly too. Free shipping, free returns and all that. For example, I once bought a dirt cheap set of flight glasses from them. One glass had a small chip. They gave me a full refund and told me to keep the glasses. Five free glasses is a cross I'm willing to bear. A pair of these suckers cost about five times what I paid for that six pack, so I imagine they'd want you to return the broken ones.

I bought a two glass set of the muffin top style that had "be hoppy" on it. I like having a pair of one style or one logo in case I break one, I have a spare of that glass. The way it was packaged, I just assumed I wasn't going to get a return so didn't bother. It was a cheap set too so no money lost really.

I had a really cool 16oz tulip glass of a brewery in my area called Heaven & Ale. It was my favorite glass until my wife broke it one day. I planned on getting another, but the brewery closed down.

FWIW, I have an extensive glass collection. Some people collect baseball cards, I collect beer glasses.

These are far and away my favorite glasses of the dozens of kinds I own and have collected from multiple breweries.

There might be some glasses that are more specific to a certain brewery or particular style.

However, these glasses work the best universally for any beer I pour into it.

The shape of the glass knocks out carbonic acid bite and lends itself to luxurious foam, aroma and head retention.

The aromatics are similar to that of a Belgian Chalice or a large Snifter glass, but it maintains a fluffy head as well as a tulip.

It also works wonderfully with stouts and darker beers like barleywines. The malt jumps out at you in the nose.

The size of the glass is also perfect. If I want to do a half pour of something like a barleywine its not too big. But it's also not too small for a 12oz pour.

Lagers and IPAs that generally do well in less fancy glasses are also enhanced by this shape.

The glass is thin like a fine peice of crystal stemware. I enjoy the feeling of there being nothing in the way of me & the beer. When you hold this in your hand it feels like you aren't even holding a glass. The beer itself feels as if its directly in your hand with no barriers in your way.

Its designed specifically for beer and not wine. I own plenty of wine glasses too. The depth of this is a little shorter than the length of a wine glass doesn't get in the way of your nose the way a wine glass does (especially towards the last few sips) . This glass allows for fantastic aroma from the first sip to the last.

If it's not your thing fine, but you can't compare it to a wine glass. It's not a wine glass. You can't judge something you've never tried in person.

I've owned mine for 8 years and never broken them, nor have they arrived damaged.

Also, Amazon has a very liberal return policy. If the glasses were to arrive broken, you could easily get a refund. That's a silly concern. Amazon is also not the only retailer.

If anyone lives in the Boston area and wants me to pour them a beer out of them in person I'd gladly do so! 🍻🍻🍻

Some people have simple tastes. I have Kingly tastes. A Kingly taste requires a Kingly glass! Now I'm just being pretentiously silly 😜

Last edited:
I tried the assortment of beer glasses, but with the cheap ones. English pub, old style pilsner, wheat beer, and yes, a stemmed beer glass (short fat stem, and it mostly is used for mead....) Most fell victim to the washing process, some broke and the rest got hard water stains from a softener issue with the wrong detergent. I really liked the looks at a gathering of all the different glasses with all the different colors of beer (and mead) decorating the table. Right now I am still annoyed with the water haze, and I have a big bag of solo cups on the kegerator. I will go back to glass, someday. But I need a cupbord thaat will keep off the dust downstairs.

I have wanted to get some scottish thistle glasses, but haven't gone there, yet...

I was initially in the "how could it possibly matter?" camp. I was as surprised as anyone when I actually perceived a difference -- a big one -- using a Teku. With the shape of the glass, you can't help but stick your nose in the bowl as you drink, and for very hop-forward beers, this seems to really bring the flavor out. I will say I have not noticed (and don't expect there is) much difference at all between the brand-name Teku and any generic tulip-y thing that comes in at the top and traps your nose in there with the hop volatiles.

If you're not drinking IPAs or similar, I don't see as much of a point.

Other than that, a stemmed glass will keep the beer cold longer, if you actually hold it by the stem (not so common.) And nucleation will make more foam (good) and reduce carbonation (bad) as the beer sits in the glass. To both of those, I say drink the beer faster.

Umm... the marketing on these things just screams beer snob and you kicked off the thread saying that "every serious craft beer drinker should own one" but you think he's being condescending?
Fair enough, but my only motivation for posting about them is because I enjoy drinking out of them.

Didn't intend for that to come off as snobby. That's the internet for ya. Easy to misinterpret someone's tone of voice or intention based on your own point of view or mood at the time of reading it.

I have never met any other beer drinkers aside from me who owns them, hence the reason why I posted about them.

The price seems to be a point of contention for many. It's funny where people draw the line of something being perceived as offensively too expensive for them. $50 bucks isn't going to break the bank, unless you are really struggling for cash. I'm sure everyone on here has blown $50 on much worse

If you aren't interested in them then move on, no need to poop on my thread about them especially if you've actually never tried em in person

The reason why we post on this forum is to raise awareness, not get into a pissing match and put other people down

Last edited:
I miss my sam adams glasses. had four and broke them all during brewing my fault for putting them in bad places. I do need to get some goblets as i prefer those with stouts and such. and some pilsner glasses as they work great for ales also.

what is the volume on these with head?

What I notice with "proper" beer glasses compared to everything else is the glass itself has sort of a dry feel? When they are washed and are clean the glass just feels like it isn't as glossy smooth. I think this is what makes the better foam characteristics. I purchased some willi glasses from a local brewery and poured my homebrew in it and the beer just acted better. More rings showed up etc...

I do not really care for long stems but I am sold on high level glass material. My Pilsner Urquell mug I bought at the brewery is about the best glass ever and it has the "dry" feel to the glass texture. Anybody else notice this?

II think I'm opposed to the idea of nucleated glasses. Intuitively, I'd rather have the carbonation stay in the beer so I can taste it than be encouraged to break out so the beer looks prettier. But maybe it's not really that big a deal.

What I notice with "proper" beer glasses compared to everything else is the glass itself has sort of a dry feel? When they are washed and are clean the glass just feels like it isn't as glossy smooth. I think this is what makes the better foam characteristics. I purchased some willi glasses from a local brewery and poured my homebrew in it and the beer just acted better. More rings showed up etc...

I do not really care for long stems but I am sold on high level glass material. My Pilsner Urquell mug I bought at the brewery is about the best glass ever and it has the "dry" feel to the glass texture. Anybody else notice this?
The thickness of the glass may play a bit of a role here because of less thermal mass.

That's why a lot of breweries in Germany and Belgium will wash the glasses with cold water prior to filling. Brings the glass temp down to the beer temp so more CO2 stays in solution when poured into the glass. This makes sense when you have a bar and need to serve customers quickly.

I'm a fan of doing slow pours when I do my beer at home and actually prefer having the CO2 kicked out of solution by the warmer thinner glassware.

II think I'm opposed to the idea of nucleated glasses. Intuitively, I'd rather have the carbonation stay in the beer so I can taste it than be encouraged to break out so the beer looks prettier. But maybe it's not really that big a deal.
Think its style dependant and if you prefer the extra carbonic bite for the particular beer.

For my homebrew I generally overcarb just slightly anticipating I'll kick the excess out of solution in a slow pour. Overcarbing slightly also helps for when I fill bottles or growlers as the headspace in the bottles kicks down the carb level.

I'll put these up against OP's choice any day. And you get 4 of them for the price of one of the Littala glasses. However, they don't have nucleation points, but to me that absence is a feature, not a bug. YMMV.
Those are great all around glasses too, I've got a taster in that shape that's my goto when I go to homebrewers meetings

Much less fragile and the shape is perfect for almost any style too. Plenty of aromatics and a nice little tulip for head retention

A chalice like tulip if you will

Back