Iittala beer glasses - are the best!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Says the person with "Urine I Pee...Eh?" in their sig block.
Hahaha! Touché!

I took a third place "yellow" (pee color) ribbon for an IPA with this name years back. Was amazing hearing them read that beer name when they announced the winners and seeing it posted on the website

Phonetically, it's "you're an IPA"

Phonetically, it's "you're an IPA"

thatsthejoke.jpg

I'll put these up against OP's choice any day. And you get 4 of them for the price of one of the Littala glasses. However, they don't have nucleation points, but to me that absence is a feature, not a bug. YMMV.
I have those. They're serviceable, and work for pretty much every style. I recommend these as the same shape but a bit better -- finer glass, with a much more polished rim. Slightly more expensive and a little more fragile, though.

I have those. They're serviceable, and work for pretty much every style. I recommend these as the same shape but a bit better -- finer glass, with a much more polished rim. Slightly more expensive and a little more fragile, though.

The tasters look nice, as well. Might have to swing by C&B next time I'm on that side of town.

Are these etched?

I found the Chimay glasses which Max has in his photo on Offerup for $.50 each. Brand new. I bought two and they are really nice Italian glass with just a few etches for foam release. These are my go to for Belgian beers when I make them.

Last edited:
I have a small collection of several types of beer glasses each for different styles of beer. The tulip glasses were a Christmas present and the rest I got from second hand stores for about $2 each.

I used to find gift boxes of Duvel in stores around the holidays, with 4 beers and a tulip glass. I bought several over the years and now I have plenty of tulip glasses. You can't see them in my pic above, they are in the back. I have a similar Piraat glass that's in the pic.

I should use those more often.

I'll put these up against OP's choice any day. And you get 4 of them for the price of one of the Littala glasses. However, they don't have nucleation points, but to me that absence is a feature, not a bug. YMMV.

I was just looking at those. I brew a lot of Belgians and don't have enough style-appropriate glasses.

Those look like the Heaven & Ale glass I had.

I ordered these 17.7oz Spiegelau beer glasses. They feature the thin crystal glass. Currently 42% off, 4 for $28.74.

Spiegelau Craft Beer Barrel Aged Tulip Glass Set of 4 - European-Made Crystal, Modern Beer Glasses, Dishwasher Safe, Professional Quality Beer Tulip Glass Gift Set - 17.7 oz https://a.co/d/cLnLb8a

Every now and then I think about getting some new beer glasses. Then I realize I have plenty already. And this is just the beer glass selection. Another cabinet in the kitchen is filled with glassware for wine, cocktails, and whiskey.

I may pick up a few new beer glasses, anyway. :D

View attachment 830582
Same here. I have a very similar setup. I just found these in a thrift store and had to buy them though.

IMG_2984.jpeg

Preferences of glassware are subjective. This is the internet. Various people will express various opinions. Who knew?

Most everyone in this thread stayed on topic. They discussed glassware. They just had opinions that differed from yours. Sorry you didn't get more concurring opinions.

Last edited:
Preferences of glassware are subjective. This is the internet. Various people will express various opinions. Who knew?

Most everyone in this thread stayed on topic. They discussed glassware. They just had opinions that differed from yours. Sorry you didn't get more concurring opinions.

My last comment was said mostly in jest.

However, no one else in the thread actually has tried these glasses. Therefore a truly objective (or at least reasonably subjective) opinion couldn't have been given by anyone aside from @lautzki

The thread topic was not about glassware in general, it was about these glasses in particular.

Threads go off on tangents all the time though, and no objections to that. I was busting balls mostly

These are hands down my favorite beer glasses in the world

Cannot recommend them enough. They work perfectly for all styles. The most universal beer glass I have ever used

Surprised they aren't more popular. So much more aromatic and better head retention than a Teku.

Every serious craft beer drinker should own one. Here's a Pic of one in action with one of my homebrews

https://www.amazon.com/Iittala-Esse...ocphy=9002075&hvtargid=pla-420376361907&psc=1
https://www.iittala.com/en-hu/tableware/drinkware/beer-glasses/essence-beer-glass-48cl-2pcs-1014439View attachment 830453
I think I’d cry a little if I broke it, and I have been known to accidentally break a glass and beakers too. ☹️

Too much for me and don't know of if I'd spend that and roll the dice with Amazon. I've gotten broken glasses before from them.

Not knocking them. They do look good, so keep spreading the love brother......
I won't buy anything but 1st party or known manufacturer-direct 3rd party on Amazon. There's just too much garbage and counterfeits.

They seem to have erased all of the sold-by-amazon buttons, but you can still paste this into a search URL to force 1st-party-only:
&emi=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I've processed a lot of beer in my life. I'll suggest the following. For some beers ( stouts, wheat, high ABV belgians) I like other glasses.

https://a.co/d/dr4mc8l
We buy the small version of this for our beer fests. I like the shape, one because it is different and two because I can smell the beer better when I drink it.

Murphy's law of breakage: The probability of breaking a glass is directly proportional to its cost/sentimental value.
Aint that the truth. My brother used one of my pint glasses from a now out of business once local micro that I used to go to all the time. It was one of my favorite glasses and he took it from a shelf of glasses that really weren’t intended to be used. He didn’t have it 5 min and accidently knocked it over and broke it. Can’t replace that one.

Being Finnish, I have the luxury of getting Iittala glassware fairly cheap. Definitely my favorite glassware to drink beer out of.
I live in the US but you can probably tell why I also like Iittala glassware. Have small glasses for drinking whiskey from and was thinking of beer glasses. Next trip to the Iron Range I will need to hit up a Finnish gift shop.

I have a 20oz Guiness glass and I absolutely love it so I know what you mean. This one: Guinness printed Irish stout glass I love how it feels in the hand and 20oz is a perfect pint.

Just after I said upthread that I have too many glasses, I realize I don't have many imperial pint size glasses. Those are perfect for pouring a 16oz or 500ml bottle, with lots of room for foam.

OT: I wish we had truth-in-advertising laws in the states like those in UK and EU. Glasses have a fill mark, and are certified. If you order a "pint," you get a pint. 500ml is 500ml, and so forth. Pet peeve: breweries that sell "pints" in those godawful shaker glasses that might hold 13 fl. oz., tops. I was in one brewery that used to serve in 16 fl. oz. nonics, but switched to skinny nonics that hold--who knows?--maybe 12 oz. Shrinkflation...grrr.

OT: I wish we had truth-in-advertising laws in the states like those in UK and EU. Glasses have a fill mark, and are certified. If you order a "pint," you get a pint. 500ml is 500ml, and so forth. Pet peeve: breweries that sell "pints" in those godawful shaker glasses that might hold 13 fl. oz., tops. I was in one brewery that used to serve in 16 fl. oz. nonics, but switched to skinny nonics that hold--who knows?--maybe 12 oz. Shrinkflation...grrr.
A small brewery nearby ditched the shaker “pint” and invested in a 12 oz glass, also raised the price an additional $! Now I only go when HBC meets there. Do one or the other to survive inflatio, but damn. To their credit the 12 oz glass is stated on the menu and the beer tenders are filling them not leaving much head On the beer.

Back