Egg Smell in Beer Glasses?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint Yeastwood

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I wonder if anyone else here has had this annoying problem.

You and your wife have some eggs. You put the dishes and skillet in the dishwasher. You put your beer glasses in the dishwasher.

When you use your beer glasses, the beer smells like old egg whites or sort of like a wet dog.

stop using a teflon skillet or whatever plasitisized material and use cast iron. i don't have a automatic dishwasher anymore but when i did pots and pans were always hand washed.

now everything is hand washed, takes 10 minutes of my day.

Scrambling eggs in cast iron is nearly impossible.
oh boy now the thread has changed:) I will say cast iron cooking scrambled eggs in cast iron is an art in itself. Cast iron is a high heat vessel and should be treated as such. A cast iron pan will be a better non stick option than the alternatives.

I use a cheap china knock off 10" cast iron pan and roll omlets all the time on a electric range top.

although i will say i have had my licks with some cast iron failures due to lack of heat but i will never have to buy another pan in my lifetime. cleaning a cast iron pan is different than standard of washing dishes. once pan is highly seasoned it can be wiped out then rinsed and then a thin film of oil.

two pans needed in the kitchen...cast iron and stainless for fancy sauces and reductions. maybe a wok or high carbon steel pan depending your diet.

Scrambled eggs in cast iron fry pans is easy. Even easier in stainless steel fry pans if you let the pan get to the correct temperature before adding the butter or whatever you are frying in it.

Brown eggs are either from the bacon you cooked in there first, or letting your butter burn. Or simply just too much heat for the eggs.

I wouldn't think so. You'd have to be awfully quick and like runny eggs. But you can't be low temp either, they'll stick like crazy. Sometimes even in a non-stick skillet.

Scrambling eggs in cast iron is nearly impossible.

Hmm I don’t know about “nearly impossible” but it certainly is a bit more demanding. Your pan needs to be properly hot (look up the leidenfrost effect and test with water droplets), you need to add some fat, and you need a decent seasoning in the pan. I would argue the temperature is far more important than the seasoning quality, provided there’s still a halfway decent seasoning on the pan.

You do need to work faster than if you were using a typical nonstick skillet, which makes doing a French style omelet or a custard-type scramble considerably more challenging. Typical American style scrambled eggs aren’t too bad, though.

I’ve taken to using my cast iron pan much more in the last year or so and it is now vastly easier to clean than my PTFE coated pans. One thing that changed the game for me was reseasoning the pan by frying potato skins with salt and oil. I tried the wipe on oil, stick in hot oven method for years to no avail. The potato skins worked wonders.

I would rather do an extra load than wash by hand. I'm not Fred Flintstone. Mother Gaia will just have to pack sand, as she always does when it's her or me.

I think this is the answer.

I deliberately bought GLASS glasses so they would be tough enough for a dishwasher.

I don't have any problems with fried eggs, but I have never gotten anywhere with scrambled. I have seen people on Youtube trying to do it, and it just didn't look good to me. I will look into the potato skin thing.
I can agree with that. While I have successfully... to me, scrambled eggs in my cast iron pans, I almost always grab my good stainless steel fry pan for scrambling eggs. Frying eggs, I almost always go for the cast iron.

I would rather do an extra load than wash by hand. I'm not Fred Flintstone. Mother Gaia will just have to pack sand, as she always does when it's her or me.

I think this is the answer.

I deliberately bought GLASS glasses so they would be tough enough for a dishwasher.
They can be washed in the dishwasher, but they shouldn't. Standard dishwashing detergents leave a film on glass which affects head retention. Same with Dawn. A quick few drops of PBW, hot water and a brush leaves glass streak free and in perfect shape for beautiful lacing.

I forbid any good glasses from the dishwasher as, here anyway, they eventually develop irreversible etching/haze.

You do need to work faster than if you were using a typical nonstick skillet, which makes doing a French style omelet or a custard-type scramble considerably more challenging. Typical American style scrambled eggs aren’t too bad, though.

Yeah, I have a non-stick pan for the French/custard style scrambled eggs. That's the style I prefer. The GF/SO OTOH likes the chunky, well-done American style scramble. We both like fried, over easy too. The non-stick works great for all that.

I do use SS and cast iron, and I've done eggs in both. But, non-stick is my go-to for eggs. That's pretty much all I use that pan for.

My issue with dishwashing beer glasses is the abrasives used in the detergent will damage printing. I have 20 year old logo'd glasses that look mint. The same glasses I gifted to my boys - who put them in dishwashers - sport mere ghosts of the printing...

Same reason you don't want to put your cutlery in there. Blunts the edges.

Our well water is loaded with carbonates but a teaspoon of citric acid powder in the dishwasher knocks it out so there's no spotting...

Most of the glasses I don't put in the dishwasher were "free". They are/were promo type items from various sources. Not like they are of great material value, but still I don't want them dishwasher etched.

Smelly beer glasses? Unacceptable. btw, I assume everything else has the same sulfurous residue, even if it's only obvious in the beer glasses. And that the dishwasher is also leaving less smelly other residues on everything.

@Clint Yeastwood, can you choose a more intense cycle that might do a better job? If that dishwasher can't be rehabilitated (cleaning, including filter; repair?), perhaps it's time for a better one. Meanwhile, though you clearly don't want to hand wash, a quick PBW/Oxi scrub should remove whatever the dishwasher left on the beer glasses. Or obviate their trip through the lame machine altogether.

I am going to look at the filter, and if that doesn't work, I may start doing a separate cycle. I guess I could just make sure the pan and plates are free of egg residue before washing, though.

I started using citric acid because the water here is loaded with calcium, and the acid was way, way cheaper than Lemi Shine. And it has all sorts of uses, like Oxiclean and PBW.

Back