Glass Apple Juice Jugs = OK for beer transport?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeremydgreat

Reaction score
So, I'm headed to a Christmas party and I'm packing up some kegged, carbonated homebrew. I'm not sure I have enough growlers. Think I can safely use some of these 1 gallon glass apple juice jugs?

(PS- I know you're not supposed to "bottle" in these jugs, just like you're not supposed to do it in growlers. I'm just wondering about transporting already carbonated beer!)

You'll be fine transporting. You just can't carbonate in those jugs. The bottles and/or caps won't take the pressure of carbon dioxide forcing itself into the beer.

He can cap them (to keep them from spilling, A.K.A. alcohol abuse). The brew has already completed carb'ing. Once he pours them into his jugs, he has to cap them to keep more CO2 from escaping. With safety in mind, I hope you have a proper car seat for your beer.

So, for the record: That's a really bad idea. The caps didn't hole the beer carbonation well and it was fizzing right through. I think they are meant to seal once, and then when they're "popped" they're done. Maybe fine for carrying non-carbonated liquid in. But for something that's trying to push through the top.... they just didn't hold.

Guess I need to get me some more proper growlers.

jeremy, sorry, I thought there wouldn't be that much pressure. I guess as the CO2 escaped the beer it pushed through. I should have thought about what happens when you shake the schist out of a soda bottle. The CO2 gangs up on the cap.

I have used 2 Ltr. plastic soda bottles for travelers, and they work just fine. holds the carbonation quite well, you can even use them for bottling with the original cap no problem. Sounds cheap, but it works. Cheers:D

For the future: this can technically be referred to as "open container". At least in CA. Put in trunk.:mug:

Back