Apple Wine & more

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoCalPlumber

Reaction score
I'm a self employed plumber just turned 65 and finally making my own drink.

10 days ago I started 1 gallon of Apple Wine. Very basic using 100% juice from concentrate, champagne yeast - Lalvin EC 1118 and cane table sugar. Just a plastic jug with the lid backed off to allow the gases to escape. First of hopefully many to come.

5 days ago I started 1.4 gallons of hard cider using an ounce of the fermenting wine for the already active yeast and no extra sugar. Going for a 5 +/- ABV.

I'm keeping everything in the garage and the past few days, nights and mornings really have been about 40F but this morning when I checked the wine was bubbling doing well but the cider was finally bubbing and foamy on top. I understand with the lower temps it will take a bit longer than 5 or so days but really getting excited as I may just have some hard cider next weekend.
I had no idea how easy fermentating fruit was until I made some hot sauce from peppers I grew this past year. Not the same type of frrmenting I know but this is no more difficult.

Here's mud in your eye🍷

Welcome from Missouri!

Primarily a beer guy, but I do make a few batches of simple cider every year(store bought juice, corn sugar and SafCider AB1). Check out the cider forum for info.

Enjoy and keep us posted on your progress.

Welcome from Missouri!

Primarily a beer guy, but I do make a few batches of simple cider every year(store bought juice, corn sugar and SafCider AB1). Check out the cider forum for info.

Enjoy and keep us posted on your progress.
Been there, was just there😉 Loving it. Yeah, I've been reading here off and on for months. I don't just jump in without looking into something. Great site, and Thank You.

Back