Using a Cider Base with Corn Syrup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonathan_Marino

Reaction score
Hey cider gurus!

About to brew a Graf and wanted this communities opinion on this product:
https://shop.greatfermentations.com/product/pro-series-cider-base-64-oz-jug/
All looks fine and brandy, but when I received the product, to my confusion, the first listed ingredient - making it top bill - was "Fermentable Corn Syrup" followed by Apple Juice concentrate. I know it isn't HFCS but I'm wondering if I have made a huge tiny mistake in ordering from this company.

The rest of the grain bill is carapils (34%) maris otter (34%) flaked oats (20%) - leaving the cider base at 11%

Any insights are much appreciated - Happy Brewing

I don't think you made a mistake. I also don't think it would be good if the juice concentrate (operative word "Concentrate") was the majority ingredient. I'd follow the instructions and run with it.

I've used this stuff, just not for a straight, no additive cider. If I am adding fruit, using a wild fermentation, or some other mod, it's great (but so might a no-preservative FAJC from the store). Pre-COVID, I was able to get straight fresh-pressed juice from the cidery 10 minutes away, but alas, their offer to the home-brew community is no more.

Latest posts

Back