How can I transport carbonated homebrew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

level-one

Reaction score
I started homebrewing last year and I've made five batches so far. I started off bottling like most people do and my last batch I made the jump to kegging in a small keg. It was awesome to not have to bottle at the end, however one issue I found now is how to transport my beer to share. On New Year's eve I wanted to bring a sample of my homebrew to share with a friend. I've seen some homebrewers put their beer into some canteen containers like a hydroflask, or growlers. I wanted to try to that so I washed and sanitized a metal water bottle, dispensed carbonated beer from the keg and tightened the lid very tight. But about an hour later when I opened it and poured the beer, it was flat. Any experience or tips on how to transport your kegged beer? I'm talking about a small amount not taking a whole keg for a party. Bottling was a pain but at least it was transportable!

I started homebrewing last year and I've made five batches so far. I started off bottling like most people do and my last batch I made the jump to kegging in a small keg. It was awesome to not have to bottle at the end, however one issue I found now is how to transport my beer to share. On New Year's eve I wanted to bring a sample of my homebrew to share with a friend. I've seen some homebrewers put their beer into some canteen containers like a hydroflask, or growlers. I wanted to try to that so I washed and sanitized a metal water bottle, dispensed carbonated beer from the keg and tightened the lid very tight. But about an hour later when I opened it and poured the beer, it was flat. Any experience or tips on how to transport your kegged beer? I'm talking about a small amount not taking a whole keg for a party. Bottling was a pain but at least it was transportable!
A beer growler will hold carbonation just fine. I think your water bottle must have been leaking CO2 or you filled it with half foam.

It's usually best to use a growler filling attachment from your beer faucet and fill the growler from the bottom to minimizing foaming. Don't try to fill a growler like a glass, you'll get way too much foam

1672974944655.png

Would this be overkill?

Ball lock caps work very well. Some people will not want to drink from a washed-out pop bottle, however.

I used to have a kit sold by one of the homebrew supply places. Maybe it was Northern. It had two big plastic bottles and a weird faucet that took two CO2 cartridges. It worked fine, but I can't find it on the internet.

You can use a small handheld charger with a cartridge to charge small amounts of beer.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079Q4HZ9B?ref_=cm_sw_r_apan_dp_E1YVQ4GY15VJJB7BA2FA

Back