gelatin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

40watt

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am considering fining with gelatin in secondary. The thing is this brew needs to be dry hopped in secondary. Knowing that the hop aroma fades rather quickly. Should I add gelatin before dry hopping, and deal with some hop matter in the beer. Or if I fine after dry hopping, will the gelatin pull out the hop aroma as well.

It's my understanding that the hop aroma is pulled out if the yeast are still in suspension. Given that, I'd make sure fermentation is totally done, gelatin it for a few days, then start the dry hop. Not sure if the gelatin would pull down the hop oils too.

I don't always use gelatin and hops but when I do:
I will cool to 35 deg for a day, and add the gelatin. Let the gelatin work for a day or 2 then I will add the hops. (This is in a keg).
Hit with CO2 and start carbing.

I've never had any issues with gelatin interfering with my dry hop. I dry hop for 7 days in secondary and gelatin/cold crash on the 8th day.

I could be way off so please correct me but I was under the impression that gelatin binded with soluble proteins not the oil or aroma.

I could be way off so please correct me but I was under the impression that gelatin binded with soluble proteins not the oil or aroma.

I have no idea. That's why I had to ask. I was thinking more along the lines of lupulins getting caught up in the falling proteins.

A little context, to this point I've brewed only dark beers and wheat beers, so clarity was not much of a concern. This IPA is my first pale beer.

Additionally, I am a maniac. I brewed this with a house full of guests, while simultainiously cooking a lasagna. So by the time my wort was cooled, I was drunk and generally wore out. No whirlpool, no siphon. I just poured in the wort, including a fair amount of hops and trub. Despite this, it tastes great, but after three weeks in primary, it clearly will need some help getting clear.

A little context, to this point I've brewed only dark beers and wheat beers, so clarity was not much of a concern. This IPA is my first pale beer.

Additionally, I am a maniac. I brewed this with a house full of guests, while simultainiously cooking a lasagna. So by the time my wort was cooled, I was drunk and generally wore out. No whirlpool, no siphon. I just poured in the wort, including a fair amount of hops and trub. Despite this, it tastes great, but after three weeks in primary, it clearly will need some help getting clear.

I applaud your motivation!!!

I use gelatin in almost all my beers. When I am dry hopping I put the gelatin and hops in my secondary on the same day. There has never been a problem.

Ok, you bloom it, melt it and add it? Do you shake the carboy? Could you please explain how you do it?

Back