Will biscuit malt and caramel crystal 10L make beer hazy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ali01

Reaction score
I'm going to try brewing a crystal clear beer in which I use Vienna, caramel crystal 10L and biscuit malt for the maximum maltiness
I have some fining agents like gelatin, spindasol (can be used after the boil and post fermentation) and bentonite
Do you think that bentonite or the other fining agests will reduce too much malty flavor? I've used gelatin before but it doesn't really make the beer crystal clear
I'm considering using a combination of gelatin and bentonite

Sweeping statement, but generally all types of barley malt will have minimal negative impact on clarity. Finings can help some. For the homebrewer, I think the most important factors are yeast selection, kegging, and cold storage.

Biscuit and C10 will not add haze to a well made beer.

If you've used used gelatin in the past and you have been disappointed with the results, that normally speaks to a deeper problem in your beer beyond ingredient or fining selection.

Clear beer requires 1) no infections--which is pretty easy these days and 2) a solid handle on your water. You can write the most solid recipe in the world, but if you don't have equally solid control over your water's calcium content and pH values from the mash tun and through the rest of the process your finings are going to produce disappointment and cloudy beer.

I get that you're writing from Iran, so there's an added level of difficulty involved. Nevertheless, your water might actually be one of the easier obstacles you'll encounter. Are you using bottled or tap water? If tap, can you get a water report? Maybe some food-grade phosphoric acid and some graduated pipettes? If so, it comes down to trial and error at that point. Better still, if you can get a *trustworthy* pH meter, that would be a huge help--but don't waste your money on a cheap one!

I wish you the best! :bigmug:

Biscuit and C10 will not add haze to a well made beer.

If you've used used gelatin in the past and you have been disappointed with the results, that normally speaks to a deeper problem in your beer beyond ingredient or fining selection.

Clear beer requires 1) no infections--which is pretty easy these days and 2) a solid handle on your water. You can write the most solid recipe in the world, but if you don't have equally solid control over your water's calcium content and pH values from the mash tun and through the rest of the process your finings are going to produce disappointment and cloudy beer.

I get that you're writing from Iran, so there's an added level of difficulty involved. Nevertheless, your water might actually be one of the easier obstacles you'll encounter. Are you using bottled or tap water? If tap, can you get a water report? Maybe some food-grade phosphoric acid and some graduated pipettes? If so, it comes down to trial and error at that point. Better still, if you can get a *trustworthy* pH meter, that would be a huge help--but don't waste your money on a cheap one!

I wish you the best! :bigmug:
I use RO water, I can't get a water report here but I've made drinkable beers with it before that got spoiled due to further infection
Now I use starsan
Also have an accurate ph meter, for a beginner homebrewer, my efficiency is high and I always hit the og so I think my pH meter is calibrated correctly, our water has so much chlorine but using the RO system and potassium metabisulfate I've fixed that too
Haven't used fining agests ever since I've made these improvements

RO water, that's a great starting point. Do you add any salt additions? Calcium chloride, calcium sulphate?
Yes, I bought a water kit for brewing and I follow the instructions on the manual for different styles

What levels of calcium do you brew with?
I can't recall the amount I used for me volume but the instructions said use 4 grams of calcium chloride for a 5 gallon batch with no calcium sulfate since the hop flavor shouldn't be dominant in German style wheat beers, I could be wrong tho

Back