Gelatin in a Belgian

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TTfireman

Reaction score
So, I am planning on brewing Randy Mosher’s yellow diamond pale ale. It’s a Belgian pale ale that I’m thinking will be along the lines of Ommegang rare vos. I always cold crash, use gelatin to fine, then keg and force carb. However, I’ve never done a Belgian anything before. I know a lot of flavor is derived from the yeast. Will the gelatin strip any of that flavor? Or is it fine to use with Belgian yeast?

On a slightly separate note, has anyone brewed his Yellow Diamond? If so, was it good as is?

I can't use Irish Moss (have a family member that is allergic to it), so I use gelatin in almost all my brews to help clear them. I've done a lot of Belgians, and not noticed a problem; I get lots of flavor.

NOTE: Irish Moss = Carrageenan. I can't believe how many products have Carrageenan in them. Never noticed before I had to check labels. It is used as a thickner. It is in lots of dairy products, bakery products, almost all ice creams, and many other products ... surprised to find it is also injected into a lot of chickens.

I don't think you will notice much of a difference. I think it's just a matter of personal preference on appearance--the BJCP guidelines for all of the pale Belgian styles except saison call for good clarity, but the majority of the commercial Belgian beers I've tried (both here and in Belgium) were not particularly clear.

Back