Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm just..." spitballing" there. It wasn't fermented, but kind of familiar in that way. Like the Peruvian blue corn has a different flavor quality I'm trying to describe accurately? It was a bluish-purple color as well.

Yea it does. My brother is the same way, as soon as I explain a tidbit of beer information to him he thinks he understands it all. He's been bugging me to make a mesquite smoked blue corn saison for him for a while now.

Just brew him a normal saison and slap a "mesquite smoked blue corn saison" label on it. Tell him the true mark of an expert brewer is not being able to taste ingredients until you know they're there.

Just brew him a normal saison and slap a "mesquite smoked blue corn saison" label on it. Tell him the true mark of an expert brewer is not being able to taste ingredients until you know they're there.

bam! that belongs in my funny things thread, because I'm telling someone that this weekend!

To be honest, I'm somewhat intrigued by the idea myself. Never done a cereal mash, so it would be fun to try something new. I can get my hands on mesquite smoked malt and blue corn grits, so it wouldn't be too difficult.

In an attempt to get back to the 'funny' things, I overheard this just the other day at my local hangout.
A man was explaining to his female companion(the looked to be about 25-28ish) that before the Lord of the Rings movies, no one had heard of Barleywine......apparently the movies made Barleywine popular and now you see it everywhere.......and she was buying it.

In an attempt to get back to the 'funny' things, I overheard this just the other day at my local hangout.
A man was explaining to his female companion(the looked to be about 25-28ish) that before the Lord of the Rings movies, no one had heard of Barleywine......apparently the movies made Barleywine popular and now you see it everywhere.......and she was buying it.

I think he meant graff. ..

Oye, the things that pass for knowledge these days? This how shiz happens these days. Too many movies & TV instead of doing a lil reading on those laptops rather than trolling...

umm, i have seen all the movies many many times, and i never have herd anyone even mention the word barleywine

Me neither. Wasn't that the series with apple ale or some such? That one I forget. Barleywines go all the way back To Mesopotamia, with kraters of spiced barleywines. They still had the mash in it, however, & was drunk through long straws, or dipped out with pitures & served.

maybe he was thinking of brandywine, isnt that the river or something in the shire?

The Brandywine was a river of Middle-earth in the land of the Shire and northern Eriador. Frodo Baggins' father, Drogo Baggins, was said to have drowned in the Brandywine River with his wife. Because I'm bored, and Google.

Now beer is funny again...

get

Drinking beer with chili, then farting in a crowded elevator...now that's funny right there. Did that in a county building once...

umm, i have seen all the movies many many times, and i never have herd anyone even mention the word barleywine

Agreed, that's why I found it so damn funny. Barley wine isn't in either th books or movies. They mention the Brandywine bridge.
All I could think is that when Tolkien trivia is your best line, you ain't getting laid tonight......

yup. there is a brewing tv episode where they brew arnold palmers version of LOTR style graff

It's called Elevenses. And it's delicious.

Wait...you said Arnold Palmer. I know he's known to drink a lot, but I didn't realize he fancied himself a Brewer.

Well they also throw in everything from corn to beans to rye to honey to ginseng depending on the batch.

Traditionally they let it start to ferment and then drink it before it finishes fermenting so it isn't completely sour. That made it hard to sell commercially as all the bottles would explode for obvious reasons but these days for commercial stuff (AFAIK) what they usually do is:
1. Use a smaller grain bill than is traditional.
2. Let it ferment out (well not wait months and months for the lacto to finish but get it close enough, bottles won't explode since it's pretty lightly carbonated).
3. Back sweeten (sometimes to a ludicrous extent).

If you can get your hands on the real stuff that doesn't do that it's incredible (especially if you've acquired the taste for it or have it nice and cold on the top of a mountain after a hike).

Definitely best on top of a mountain. Only time I'd drink the stuff, bottled versions are crap imo.

Lol...gas attack! Ancient Chinese secret! Like those boats they had where the dragon's head could breath poison gas...only mine's hidden...:D

Once, I was out to dinner with my wife, her friend, and her friend's boyfriend. We start talking about homebrewing and beer in general, and he asks me "what type of IPAs" I like. I name a few, and return the question, to which he responds with a list of decidedly-not IPAs. It took me another minute to realize that he thought "IPA" was a synonym for "craft beer"...

I guess that says something about the modern craft beer scene, at least on the west coast.

Back