Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you saying I should start my own thread titled 'incorrect statements people have told you about beer'? :confused:

I guess I didn't understand what "yeast bombed" was. Which was funny, to me.

But, you can hold bottles up to the light and see how much junk is floating around on the bottom.

What founders beer did you buy?

I don't think I am actually using the term correctly. I meant to say it had an excessive amount of yeast (a bunch of clumps about the size of half of a pea). I've had 5 year old beer with less crap on the bottom than what I bought. No matter how I tried to carefully pour and decant yeast clumps made its way to my glass..

Did you chill them for a couple of days after that rough car ride home? I just can't understand why an experienced craft beer drinker or a home brewer wouldn't know why/that there would be yeast in the bottle, and that if you take bottle refermented beer in a car, then you'll need to chill them for a couple of days if you want the yeast to compact again.

I cringe every time a cashier turns a six pack of bottle conditioned beer over on it's side to scan the barcode on the bottom.

Come on, man. I was gonna take that home and drink it. Meh, I'll drink it anyway.

Again, the car ride home will do more to shake up the yeast than the cashier did.

I don't think I am actually using the term correctly. I meant to say it had an excessive amount of yeast (a bunch of clumps about the size of half of a pea). I've had 5 year old beer with less crap on the bottom than what I bought. No matter how I tried to carefully pour and decant yeast clumps made its way to my glass..

I just think it was funny that you used the term so confidently twice. Then admitted ignorance.

I cringe every time a cashier turns a six pack of bottle conditioned beer over on it's side to scan the barcode on the bottom.

Come on, man. I was gonna take that home and drink it. Meh, I'll drink it anyway.

This ^
But it's usually with bombers for me. At target I had this one old guy pretty much shake the damn thing looking for a bar code and ringing it up. I was like "guess I'm not drinking this right now"

Again, the car ride home will do more to shake up the yeast than the cashier did.

Still, it's the principle! Respect the beer!

yes. My thoughts exactly

I don't know I have had some shake it like a Christmas present

I guess I didn't understand what "yeast bombed" was. Which was funny, to me.

But, you can hold bottles up to the light and see how much junk is floating around on the bottom.

What founders beer did you buy?

I usually try to do so but I was in such a hurry I didn't even think about it.

I actually shafted myself. I put the founders back and bough a 4 pack of 'stillwater vacuum' smoked black ale. I still have the other three in the fridge. **** was expensive too (almost 20 bones), the store offered to replace when I asked them about it, now I'm assuming they changed their mind cause they didn't reply back to me when I wrote them (they are active on IG)

Strawberry Daiquiri Bacardi Breezers? :smack:

That's a good way to get your man card revoked. :D

Not if he had the good sense to make a contest of it. After a night of strawberry margaritas we made a contest of seeing how far from the dorm toilet we could stand, power puke and still sort of hit it. I was good for about 10 feet.

Well, I think it makes somewhat of sense.

You may continue to chastise me if it makes you feel better.

It does make me feel better.

This is the "funny things" thread, so have a laugh. It was just the fact that you seemed to think it was a term. Then said maybe it's not the right term.

Just funny. No chastising.

Was at a bar last night and every one of my beers came in an ice cold pint glass with zero head. I asked the waitress if she could bring my next one in a room temp glass and her response was "Oh, we serve the beer that way so you can really taste the malt." My face must have given away what I was about to say because my girlfriend nudged me under the table before I could argue.

I feel ya. I'm not allowed to talk to the servers anymore about what is wrong with the descriptions they give for what they've got on tap...

I feel ya. I'm not allowed to talk to the servers anymore about what is wrong with the descriptions they give for what they've got on tap...

It didn't take me very long to learn that pointing anything like that out was a lost cause.

Nothing like that blank stare from a waiter/watress when you ask them to provide more of a description than "oh, that one is hoppy". :smack:

I was in such disbelief, I think I had a stare as blank as most people do when they ask me about beer. SWMBO just slowly explained it while I tried to repair the short circuit in my brain

Overheard girls in the breakroom making party plans.
"What kind of beer does HWMBO like to drink?"
"IPAs. Moose Drool, Fat Tire; you know, the nasty stuff."

lol.

I ordered a beer at a bbq joint last week and the waitress asked if i wanted a cold glass with it (it was a bottle of skull splitter) i said a room temp glass would be preferable. She came back with my beer and a glass that was dripping wet. She told me they didn't have any that weren't chilled so she held this one under hot water for a bit to warm it up. Kinda funny i thought, but she was doing what she could to complete my order.

I routinely hold a bottle under hot water before uncapping to serve my beer at the right temperature.

I lol'd...

12193308_10153375295445326_1262485657436139182_n.jpg

Was eating at a Spanish tapas restaurant and saw they had St. Arnold's seasonal, so asked what kind it was. "It's a Spanish beer"
(St. Arnold's is the biggest local brewery in Houston)

I need to stay off BA, bunch of idiots over there.

"Sours are meant to be consumed at a cold temp."

"Pint glasses and snifters are designed to warm up quickly."

I need to stay off BA, bunch of idiots over there.

"Sours are meant to be consumed at a cold temp."

"Pint glasses and snifters are designed to warm up quickly."

We'll actually... That's true about snifters. When you drink hard liquor in them it's pretty common to cup the bowl of the snifter, thereby warming the contents.

My buddy hates hops!
He openly declares he does not like hops and there most beer. However he likes Stouts, Porters and Whiskey Barrel aged stouts.
I have previously shared with him a Southern Tier Mokah Stout (50 IBU)
And last week left him a Founders Porter (46 IBU).
He sends me a message last night to tell me it was delicious .
To which I informed him I was glad he is coming around on hops.
"Hops = meh" was the response.
I had to break it to him he is drinking hops!

I still don't think he understands !

Well actually...

That doesn't sound that weird. That 50 IBU Mokah stout has a lot more residual sweetness than a 50 IBU IPA, so the hops won't stand out as much. Yes, they're there (as they are in most beers), but you aren't going to get a noticeable hop flavor.

And I'm sure he means hop flavor...like I know it sounds silly because it has hops in it...but they impart little character so that doesn't really matter, yknow? Enjoying something bitter doesn't mean you are enjoying that that bitterness came from hops, but I guess its a little funny, but completely understandable

And I'm sure he means hop flavor...like I know it sounds silly because it has hops in it...but they impart little character so that doesn't really matter, yknow? Enjoying something bitter doesn't mean you are enjoying that that bitterness came from hops, but I guess its a little funny, but completely understandable
Yeah, liking to drink your coffee black does not mean you like hops. xD

Anyone else annoyed by the way the media is covering Guinness not using clearing agents anymore? Somehow, the brewery using a clarifying agent that contained fish bladder = using fish bladder to make beer.

Anyone else annoyed by the way the media is covering Guinness not using clearing agents anymore? Somehow, the brewery using a clarifying agent that contained fish bladder = using fish bladder to make beer.

Well the thing was that vegans didn't know they were drinking something that was made using an animal product...not that the finished beer contained animal products...but thats not really the point

I understand what he means, but he refuses to acknowledge that he is indeed drinking hops,
Because the hops were not in the stout , that stout would not taste nearly as good!

Isn't that kind of the truth, though?

What are they using to fine now?

It's accurate, but a bit misleading imho. The few reports I've seen on it make it sound like it was a key ingredient, when it adds absolutely no flavor or aroma to the finished product. Just rubbed me the wrong way, because I'm sure I'll have to field the "how much fish bladder do you add to your homebrew" question more than a few times from here on out.
I think they upgraded to an actual filtration system instead of using clearing agents, but I wouldn't swear to that.

It's accurate, but a bit misleading imho. The few reports I've seen on it make it sound like it was a key ingredient, when it adds absolutely no flavor or aroma to the finished product. Just rubbed me the wrong way, because I'm sure I'll have to field the "how much fish bladder do you add to your homebrew" question more than a few times from here on out.
I think they upgraded to an actual filtration system instead of using clearing agents, but I wouldn't swear to that.
I think it could be easier if they stopped saying that they changed the recipe and instead said changing the production process. That way it is clearer that no flavor difference will result from this.

I think it could be easier if they stopped saying that they changed the recipe and instead said changing the production process. That way it is clearer that no flavor difference will result from this.

But they don't get any press that way.

Well the thing was that vegans didn't know they were drinking something that was made using an animal product...not that the finished beer contained animal products...but thats not really the point

The funny part of this is, they probably had more gelatinized weevil guts come in with the mashed barley than residual isinglass in the good ol' fish bladder days, and switching from fining to filtering won't do diddly to change that.

Did not know there were that many vegans in the world (much less Ireland!) to concern Guinness. :p

EDIT: I might be wrong but why is this not a concern with Harp :confused:

We'll actually... That's true about snifters. When you drink hard liquor in them it's pretty common to cup the bowl of the snifter, thereby warming the contents.

Yes! I like to drink Barleywines, Winter Warmers, IPAs, and Imperial Stouts from a snifter. Really releases the aromas! Try it!

Back