Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was at a bar last night and every one of my beers came in an ice cold pint glass with zero head. I asked the waitress if she could bring my next one in a room temp glass and her response was "Oh, we serve the beer that way so you can really taste the malt." My face must have given away what I was about to say because my girlfriend nudged me under the table before I could argue.

Every time someone brings up drinking games, I remember the time I went head to head with a dude at 40 Oz. to freedom, and he passed out after he finished one, so I finished both of mine, cut his second off his hand and downed it, then tried to jump over a six foot high bonfire.

Bad night.

At least you don't have to worry about the hair on your ass anymore

Was at a bar last night and every one of my beers came in an ice cold pint glass with zero head. I asked the waitress if she could bring my next one in a room temp glass and her response was "Oh, we serve the beer that way so you can really taste the malt." My face must have given away what I was about to say because my girlfriend nudged me under the table before I could argue.

True story.

But only if it's made with real rocky mountain barley that was cold brewed by Sam Elliot.

I ordered a beer at a bbq joint last week and the waitress asked if i wanted a cold glass with it (it was a bottle of skull splitter) i said a room temp glass would be preferable. She came back with my beer and a glass that was dripping wet. She told me they didn't have any that weren't chilled so she held this one under hot water for a bit to warm it up. Kinda funny i thought, but she was doing what she could to complete my order.

I ordered a beer at a bbq joint last week and the waitress asked if i wanted a cold glass with it (it was a bottle of skull splitter) i said a room temp glass would be preferable. She came back with my beer and a glass that was dripping wet. She told me they didn't have any that weren't chilled so she held this one under hot water for a bit to warm it up. Kinda funny i thought, but she was doing what she could to complete my order.
I've seen the argument that beer should be poured into a wet glass - they claim it reduces tension at the side of the glass and helps head retention.

Not sure if I believe it or not, but could maybe be plausible.

I've seen the argument that beer should be poured into a wet glass - they claim it reduces tension at the side of the glass and helps head retention.

Not sure if I believe it or not, but could maybe be plausible.

I pour into freshly rinsed glasses all the time. I don't see a difference.

I pour into rinsed glasses all the time. I find there's less excessive foaming. Failing a rinse, just pour a tiny shot into the glass, wait a few seconds, then continue pouring over the "beer rinse". Works for soda/pop/pepsi/gutrot/<insertpreferredterm> too.

I was at a bar awhile back and noticed they had a "Session Imperial Pale Ale" on the menu. It was something like 4.8% ABV from a reputable local brewery so I had to ask the bartender about the conflict in the words. She taught me that contrary to popular belief, imperial means it's extra hoppy, not stronger alcohol. When I asked what the difference between this and an IPA was, she said "Oh, well this isn't citrusy so it's not an IPA."

I THINK she must've been the one writing their beer menu. Because the beer on the breweries website was clearly listed as a session IPA...

I was at a bar awhile back and noticed they had a "Session Imperial Pale Ale" on the menu. It was something like 4.8% ABV from a reputable local brewery so I had to ask the bartender about the conflict in the words. She taught me that contrary to popular belief, imperial means it's extra hoppy, not stronger alcohol. When I asked what the difference between this and an IPA was, she said "Oh, well this isn't citrusy so it's not an IPA."

I THINK she must've been the one writing their beer menu. Because the beer on the breweries website was clearly listed as a session IPA...

In her defense, IIPA's ARE generally hoppier...but last I checked this Unsessionable Double IPA from Revolution I'm drinking clicks in around 10%.

They're using the terms in the traditional English way. In old-timey England, stouts were strong beers and ales were lighter beers. In some places, "beer" was beer brewed with hops, while "ale" was beer brewed without hops.

The history of the terms are complicated and somewhat confusing, but they're not strictly speaking totally out to lunch. They're invoking the historical nostalgia of an authentic olde English public house.

You just gave my fellow statesman WAY too much credit. I do appreciate that tid bit though I actually didn't know.

There's a yeast harvesting joke to be made here. But I don't think anyone wants a beer THAT sour.

How's that for too far.

Oh, that particular "too far" has already been explored. There's a site out there, in the dark, wretched corners of the internet.

I was at a local liquor store that has a good selection of craft (also expensive and yeast bombs): I had a 4 pack of founders in my hand and asked if they had any russian river stuff (I like their sours), and they guy points to the pack of founders I have in my hand and goes 'I don't have any russian river, but that is made from the same brewery '

I said oooookay and went on with my day, went home and found out what I bought was all yeast bombed out.

I was at a local liquor store that has a good selection of craft (also expensive and yeast bombs): I had a 4 pack of founders in my hand and asked if they had any russian river stuff (I like their sours), and they guy points to the pack of founders I have in my hand and goes 'I don't have any russian river, but that is made from the same brewery '

I said oooookay and went on with my day, went home and found out what I bought was all yeast bombed out.

What do you mean yeast bombed?

^

Funny things I've overheard about beer.

What do you mean yeast bombed?

I don't think I am actually using the term correctly. I meant to say it had an excessive amount of yeast (a bunch of clumps about the size of half of a pea). I've had 5 year old beer with less crap on the bottom than what I bought. No matter how I tried to carefully pour and decant yeast clumps made its way to my glass..

Back