Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No harm no foul. I mess up pronouncing things all the time.

This instance was beer related and marginally funny so I posted it :mug:

I have a friend that pronounces it "heffe" but when he says it, it sounds almost like "heffy"

He's really southern, though. He really knows his beers so I let it slide.

Ah ha. I was trying to figure out if there were any ways to pronounce it other that "hef-eh-wise-in" or "hef-feh-vise-en" so I got a little confused over what the issue with his pronunciation was.

Jokes on the internet sometimes aren't clear as jokes without the tone of voice and overall delivery.
In Germany there are two ways that I know of. South a bit more slurred, closer to yours, and north more clear and "German", if you know what I mean. The North does a propper Hefeweizen (Yeast-wheat) with a long German e in Hefe, and a t sound in the z in Weizen. The South meanwhile says it more like Heffeweisen, with a short e and an s.

Quick google brings up these pronaunciations which I think will get you closer to the real thing. Though even some audio things like from howdoyousaythatword do the weird short e.
hay-fuh-veyt-sssenn
HEH-feh-vite-zehn

This chap does it "properly" showing how to pronaunce Paulaner Hefeweizen. [ame="https://vimeo.com/471506"]https://vimeo.com/471506[/ame]

You get the, to me at least, funniest versions when English speakers try this. Which is understandable, as those sound combinations need to be learned and are not naturally present. Still cracks me up.
Now enough education.

I watched another series of videos on youtube, germany vs USA on a variety of subjects. They say, one American & one German, that the South pronounces things clearly & speaks slower than up North where they slur more & speak quicker? but they did pronounce it as this guy does. The T is pronounced a lot like mom spoke Slovak, like a tz sound with more accent on the T.

There is also a Northern dialect/accent, which comes from an offshoot language from the long before times when the English language was created and Anglo-Saxons ruled the west coast. As those things go it is more a small town thing, big cities are always different. However, pretty much everyone who does that, me including at times, can turn it off and on at a whim, it just flows in the conversation, or we can avoid it completly. Then we go into "high German", the kind you hear news anchors and such do, which is also consisten with official written German.

In my experience the percentage of Southerners, or at times Easterners, who can do that is lower. They have a stronger dialect and accent. They sometimes end up being suptitled on TV even. Have not seen that for a Northern dialect outside of when they go so far to actually speak that old langage, Plattdeutsch. This seems to be not that different from the US, where a non standard English seems to be more common in the South.

This all of course makes sense, as Germany as a country is pretty new, and the states all have a different history, with the North having the most influence from the nordic languages which had the most influence on the German language.

Disclaimer: Some of this is personal experience and views, which I tried to mark as such, other things stem from me being a linguistic student. Which I guess you can tell.

Ok, I hope I´ll keep it at this.

On thread topic:
Just had a classic moment with a mate this weekend, giving my green tea and lemon session saison for different people to try:
Mate: Man, I like this! You should make more, great summer drink. This is a good craft like brewing, not like ales.

Explained and gave him more ales, some of which he liked. Not stubborn, just not informed (he had no reason to). Now I got him. =)

Yeah, Kiichi, I have a friend from Bavaria (from south of Munich, I think he said) and he oftentimes says "No, I'm not German. I'm Bavarian." He seems partially serious and partially joking. I've worked with quite a few Germans at every company I've worked at and for about 7 years I used to work with several German translators and one of them was from Austria and two of the Germans would oftentimes point out things they found funny about her German pronunciation. Heh. It reminds me of how Arnold Schwarzenegger wanted to dub his lines for the German release of Terminator and Terminator 2 I think it was, but he only recorded them for the Austrian dub because the Germans thought his Austrian accent/pronunciation didn't sound tough enough for the character, so they had someone else dub his lines. At least, that's how I think it went.

Because Virginia was there first. A bunch of us Germans & Irish took over the mountainous part of the state because we didn't believe in slavery. So we called it West Virginia. But Virgin land? not anymore!...:D

There's no such thing as South Dakota.

Why don't you come over here and say that to our faces?

9607898-sunset-over-mount-rushmore-south-dakota-u-s-a.jpg

"If you drink the sludge at the bottom, you'll get effed up!"

My redneck colleague, discussing my beer. I simply responded that you'd be riding the toilet well before you were hugging it.

Guy: It's actually pronounced Metdrapedes.
Cleon Salmon: Well, why doesn't it sound like that when I say it? Meatdrapes.

Back