Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some of this thread's comments concerned risks in making alcohol at home. Beside comments about taxation, I saw comments about distillation contaminants, including wood alcohol and antifreeze.

I think the risk of blindness with illegal 'stills' was due to some folks putting (inexpensive) wood chips into the mash (making "Wood Alcohol" which is methanol). Methanol binds to the optic nerve (blindness). 1 teaspoon can blind an adult. Antifreeze is usually ethylene glycol, which human livers convert to oxalate. Oxalate crystallizes in cells and they die. Important stuff like kidneys, liver.

Fun fact: To solve both of these you use dialysis, but for methanol ingestions until you can get it set up, you start IV ethanol (goal is to get the blood level to 0.1 mg/dl). In a methanol ingestion, ethanol binds to the optic nerve better, blocking methanol and preventing some of the damage. Years ago, I had a 4-year-old who had swallowed methanol. When her ethanol level reached 0.1, she uttered the universal phrase: "I really love you guys..."

There's something special about ethanol, isn't there...

Some of this thread's comments concerned risks in making alcohol at home. Beside comments about taxation, I saw comments about distillation contaminants, including wood alcohol and antifreeze.

I think the risk of blindness with illegal 'stills' was due to some folks putting (inexpensive) wood chips into the mash (making "Wood Alcohol" which is methanol). Methanol binds to the optic nerve (blindness). 1 teaspoon can blind an adult. Antifreeze is usually ethylene glycol, which human livers convert to oxalate. Oxalate crystallizes in cells and they die. Important stuff like kidneys, liver.

Fun fact: To solve both of these you use dialysis, but for methanol ingestions until you can get it set up, you start IV ethanol (goal is to get the blood level to 0.1 mg/dl). In a methanol ingestion, ethanol binds to the optic nerve better, blocking methanol and preventing some of the damage. Years ago, I had a 4-year-old who had swallowed methanol. When her ethanol level reached 0.1, she uttered the universal phrase: "I really love you guys..."

Not to mention that a lot of the stills were made with lead solder. Lead = bad for health.

Yes, yes there is.

On re-reading, thought I should mention that the wood chips problem happened when the products of wood fermentation were super-concentrated (distilling) not simple things like flavoring beer (e.g. Rauch Bier).

Boiling wood chips in ethanol does NOT produce methanol. Please do your homework and stop regurgitating fallacies which further misconceptions about the D word and hinder legalization efforts.

And we really should not be discussing this here at all. I enjoy this thread. Please dont get it locked.

Boiling wood chips in ethanol does NOT produce methanol. Please do your homework and stop regurgitating fallacies which further misconceptions about the D word and hinder legalization efforts.

And we really should not be discussing this here at all. I enjoy this thread. Please dont get it locked.

Few people are experts in all of the biochemistry that this forum covers. When one person brings a concept that another can correct, everyone learns. An earlier post from a frequent contributor said that 'antifreeze' was a contaminant harming people in fermented products, but I think methanol was the actual contaminant they were referring to. I learned today about pyrolysis:

(Wikipedia): Pyrolysis is a thermochemical decomposition of organic material at elevated temperatures in the absence of oxygen.... It involves the simultaneous change of chemical composition and physical phase, and is irreversible.

Whether the offending chemical came from heat, fermentation, or contamination does matter. We use a little heat and a lot of fermentation. Ethylene glycol (like lead) is a contaminant-never a byproduct of processing. Maybe the temperature in boiling is far from that which causes pyrolysis? If so, then it would be true that, "Boiling wood chips in ethanol does NOT produce methanol". But my homework still tells me that people who intended to make an ethanol-containing liquid (by an illegal means) unintentionally made one containing methanol, which is toxic. That's not a risk for people who make beer, and the science behind the safety is interesting to some.
Old guys (like me) should stick to face-to-face discussions at the local brew shop, and leave the electronic dialog to experts. Signing off.

In the comments of an article about the Small BREW Act someone posted a comment saying "they are just trying to give craft brewers like Samuel Adams a break while Bud, miller, and coors suffer"

I almost spit my beer out

In the comments of an article about the Small BREW Act someone posted a comment saying "they are just trying to give craft brewers like Samuel Adams a break while Bud, miller, and coors suffer"

I almost spit my beer out

I did see that the definition of "craft brewery" for taxation purposes was proposed to be raised to 6,000,000 bbl. How many breweries does that even cover?

I'm sure most of your start ups and small established breweries are far below that threshold.

Wikipedia puts Boston Brewing Co. and Yuengling at around 2,500,000 bbl. Sierra Nevada is the next behind at 800,000 bbl. That's a lot of room for expansion!

I suppose with the 6 million barrel definition, these are all micro-breweries again?

EDIT:

We need a new term. I propose the term "Pico-brewery". That will be the new definition of any brewery producing less than 1 million - 6 barrels a year of product. Anything less than that is simply a home brewer.

For reference:
More than 6 million barrels a year but less than a 100 million= Craft brewery
Between 6 million barrels a year and 1 million barrels = Micro brewery
Between 1 million barrels a year and 6 barrels = Pico Brewery
Less than 6 barrels a year = Home brewer

Is this about right? Granted, I'm blowing wind with a beer in hand.....

I suppose with the 6 million barrel definition, these are all micro-breweries again?

EDIT:

We need a new term. I propose the term "Pico-brewery". That will be the new definition of any brewery producing less than 1 million - 6 barrels a year of product. Anything less than that is simply a home brewer.

For reference:
More than 6 million barrels a year but less than a 100 million= Craft brewery
Between 6 million barrels a year and 1 million barrels = Micro brewery
Between 1 million barrels a year and 6 barrels = Pico Brewery

Is this about right? Granted, I'm blowing wind with a beer in hand.....

So...Yuengling is a craft brewery and SN is a micro? And how about nanobrewery for the 1,000 bbl - 1,000,000 bbl per year slot and picobrewery for those who produce 6 bbl - 1,000 bbl per year?

Awesome read. Nailed the appearance as being the only good thing!

Hey, before you knock Steel Reserve, remember that it takes some pretty talented brewing to be so consistent...I bet you couldn't homebrew a high gravity lager as well as they could...when you've got nothing to hide behind except your high ABV, those off flavors start getting pretty apparent!

And don't forget that SR has it's place, just like any beer... If it's wicked hot out and I've just mown the lawn, I love me a good PBR, but if I'm just trying to get f*&Ked up on the cheap, nothing beats a good couple Steel Reserves! :rolleyes: ;)

You only brew 6 barrels a year? Better pick up the pace!

The problem is these are all just marketing terms that can mean whatever you want them to mean.

Regardless, I don't think anyone would mistake Yeungling for a craft brewer.

Hey, before you knock Steel Reserve, remember that it takes some pretty talented brewing to be so consistent...I bet you couldn't homebrew a high gravity lager as well as they could...when you've got nothing to hide behind except your high ABV, those off flavors start getting pretty apparent!

And don't forget that SR has it's place, just like any beer... If it's wicked hot out and I've just mown the lawn, I love me a good PBR, but if I'm just trying to get f*&Ked up on the cheap, nothing beats a good couple Steel Reserves! :rolleyes: ;)

Of the cheap brews that are sold as singles at gas stations, SR is the best. I don't know about the fruit one. It's full of flavor, esp compared to a king can of miller light, etc.

Steel reserve clone...vomit.. boil for 60 and pitch wild yeast from a nasty infection

You only brew 6 barrels a year? Better pick up the pace!

The problem is these are all just marketing terms that can mean whatever you want them to mean.

Regardless, I don't think anyone would mistake Yeungling for a craft brewer.

I only ever brew 6.4516129 barrels per year. Especially if the tax man comes by.

Yet another Steel Reserve apologist.

Yet another Steel Reserve apologist.

3191466007_7e1aac32e2.jpg

I was at the LHBS today. They sell bulk LME out of a plastic barrel. The guy in line in front of me was checking out and watching the cashier dispense some for another customer.

"Huh, that almost looks like the liquid malt you can buy."

Cashier (trying really hard not to be a jerk): "Yeah, it's the exact same stuff."

In a methanol ingestion, ethanol binds to the optic nerve better, blocking methanol and preventing some of the damage.

This is wrong, although it seems someone tried to explain it to you before. The same enzymes metabolize ethanol and methanol. Ethanol does bind better to those enzymes and prevents methanol from being broken down into formic acid. Although methanol is a CNS depressant in itself, it is the metabolite formic acid that causes things like optic nerve damage, the mechanisms of which I won't go into...but it's not methanol binding to the optic nerve, whatever that may mean.

Basically if you stay drunk on (pure) ethanol you will eventually piss all the methanol out without accumulating the toxic formic acid.

I won't go into the ethylene glycol comments, although you get partial credit.

When the media talks about "anti-freeze" in food and drinks for fear mongering purposes, they are usually referring to propylene glycol, which is essentially safe to consume and is found in many products.

My Father and FIL both tried my homemade Pale Ale (5.5% 44IBU).

They both agreed not bad.

They both indicated it was bitter (they both are commercial lager drinkers)

Then FIL said: "kind of reminds me of Guinness, because of the bitterness. But you cant repair a driveway with it, not like you can with Guinness. You can tar a roof with that stuff".

My Father and FIL both tried my homemade Pale Ale (5.5% 44IBU).

They both agreed not bad.

They both indicated it was bitter (they both are commercial lager drinkers)

Then FIL said: "kind of reminds me of Guinness, because of the bitterness. But you cant repair a driveway with it, not like you can with Guinness. You can tar a roof with that stuff".

Seems like "Funny things you've heard about Guinness" could be its own thread. BMC drinkers just can't wrap their heads around a pitch-black beer with a light body and the same amount of calories as a Budweiser.

Back