Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just had an asian made budweiser, can't remember where they're produced, i think singapore or something. but damn, that was a bad beer. tasted like rice water. not an exaggerated description due to location as the local beers just taste sugary and full of defects. but this budweiser tasted like they were stretching out the adjuncts more than any beer i've ever tasted. terrible, terrible crap

just had an asian made budweiser, can't remember where they're produced, i think singapore or something. but damn, that was a bad beer. tasted like rice water. not an exaggerated description due to location as the local beers just taste sugary and full of defects. but this budweiser tasted like they were stretching out the adjuncts more than any beer i've ever tasted. terrible, terrible crap

It could be intentionally localized. I actually have had a few pretty tasty brews made with roasted brown and/or red rice, but I wouldn't expect that from Bud.

It could be intentionally localized. I actually have had a few pretty tasty brews made with roasted brown and/or red rice, but I wouldn't expect that from Bud.

Hitachino Red Rice ale is delicious!

As opposed to the delicious, quality, and full flavored Budweiser?

But it makes uninformed bartenders thing every wheat beer needs an orange slice. I've had to send beers back because of that.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Home Brew mobile app

So you couldn't simply remove the orange slice and request it not be added next time? Seems like a waste of good beer.

So you couldn't simply remove the orange slice and request it not be added next time? Seems like a waste of good beer.

No...he couldn't...because orange and beer don't belong together as already stated.

If I get a Dogfish Head 90-minute with a dog turd in it, I am going to sent it back.

Well, I personally don't complain too much when they throw the orange slice in. I actually really enjoy the beer soaked orange at the end of the glass. Everyone says it's a garnish but hell I'm not wasting a perfectly good orange especially when it has soaked up my booze!

But it makes uninformed bartenders thing every wheat beer needs an orange slice. I've had to send beers back because of that.

Since you obviously know that any wheat beer is likely to come with a slice of fruit, you should specify "no fruit" when you order it. You can't expect the whole world to know all your quirks.

Much the Bud in China is brewed across town from me in Wuhan, not sure if it gets out of the country to the rest of Asia though. If I drink a Bud next to any of the local offerings, it tastes full-flavored and malty. I don't drink it anywhere else in the world, and rarely here, but I've been told by a number of people that Budweiser is the same worldwide, unlike, say, Coca-Cola, which is made to varying recipes depending on the country.

Of course, maybe being told that Bud brews the same product worldwide is the funny thing I've heard about beer, and I'm just not catching on :tank:

I don't like the orange or lemon, but I don't send em back. I just put the fruit conspicuously on a napkin to remind me and the server, "No fruit next time, please." It also reminds me to request a non-frozen glass next time too. Sometimes I ask them to please use the same glass. (Sorry, not real funny.)

I brew an IPA with orange in it, so orange does go with beer. But as a garnish it's meh

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

No...he couldn't...because orange and beer don't belong together as already stated.

If I get a Dogfish Head 90-minute with a dog turd in it, I am going to sent it back.

DogFish Head's next ancient brew is going to have dog turd in it.
Dog Turd Head ale. People will pay thousands for it.

...I've been told by a number of people that Budweiser is the same worldwide, unlike, say, Coca-Cola, which is made to varying recipes depending on the country.

Of course, maybe being told that Bud brews the same product worldwide is the funny thing I've heard about beer, and I'm just not catching on :tank:

I heard that Bud is different depending on where you go. In fact a guy I know who is more informed about beer than myself (though this is quickly changing) said that Czechvar is the name of imported Bud. At least one person here has to be right.

I heard that Bud is different depending on where you go. In fact a guy I know who is more informed about beer than myself (though this is quickly changing) said that Czechvar is the name of imported Bud. At least one person here has to be right.

There is a Czech brewery that produces a beer called Budweiser that is imported in the US under the name Czechvar for trademark reasons, but it is in no way related to the Anheuser-Busch product known as "Budweiser". It is much better, in fact.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

There is a Czech brewery that produces a beer called Budweiser that is imported in the US under the name Czechvar for trademark reasons, but it is in no way related to the Anheuser-Busch product known as "Budweiser". It is much better, in fact.

A-B's Budweiser started as an imitation of Budějovický Budvar*pilsner, imported under the name Czechvar here. It's from the town/city of Budějovice, which in German (?) is Budweis.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budweiser_Budvar_Brewery

Since you obviously know that any wheat beer is likely to come with a slice of fruit, you should specify "no fruit" when you order it. You can't expect the whole world to know all your quirks.

My quirks? Hah. Not every bar does it. In fact, the minority do. I don't think it's my responsibility to specifically order a beer the way it should come. If a bar owner can't educate their staff on the correct way to serve a beer, they can eat the cost of a wasted beer.

Yeah I can't watch it. I started skipping around and shortly thereafter couldn't handle it anymore lol.

I don't think it's my responsibility to specifically order a beer the way it should come. If a bar owner can't educate their staff on the correct way to serve a beer, they can eat the cost of a wasted beer.
That may be true, but aren't you concerned with what the second (and subsequent beers) might contain in lieu of fruit?

Funny things I've overheard about beer? Every RateBeer post I've read to date counts in my mind. Ask two posters about one beer and get three answers, each of which contains at least one of these words: "grapefruit," "metallic," "grassy," "soapy," "piss," or "funk."

#Mild_satire_for_amusement_purposes_only

Funny things I've overheard about beer? Every RateBeer post I've read to date counts in my mind. Ask two posters about one beer and get three answers, each of which contains at least one of these words: "grapefruit," "metallic," "grassy," "soapy," "piss," or "funk."

#Mild_satire_for_amusement_purposes_only

#horseblanket #hashtag

I worked in a place that had Bootlegger's Old World Hefeweizen on tap - one of the best American made hefs I've ever had. Sometimes a person would order it, I'd put it in front of them, and they'd say, "Where's the orange slice?"

Usually my snotty answer was, "Well, we don't like to ruin our beer." And then I'd get them one.

If a server asked for a slice of orange, I'd always serve it on a plate on the side. Why would I ruin the aroma of a beautifully made beer by sticking fruit on it?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

My quirks? Hah. Not every bar does it. In fact, the minority do. I don't think it's my responsibility to specifically order a beer the way it should come. If a bar owner can't educate their staff on the correct way to serve a beer, they can eat the cost of a wasted beer.

The whole "orange slice in your beer" thing is, more or less, a marketing gimmick made popular by Coors. Your voice against their billion dollar advertising. They aren't the only one with serving suggestions of fruit on the rim or in the glass, just the biggest example.

You have to stand up for your beer.

That may be true, but aren't you concerned with what the second (and subsequent beers) might contain in lieu of fruit?

Not so much. If I can't raise my concerns out of fear of that sort of retribution, the crappy human beings who would spit in someone's food have won.

Life's too short to get worked up about orange slices in beer.

Anyway, I have one from the homebrew store my last visit. It was saturday and it was really busy. I was grabbing a sachet of dry yeast and these two confused looking guys are standing there with several sachets of different Safale yeast in their hands.

Me: How's it going?
Dude: Hey which of these should I use?
Me: What are you making?
Dude: (looks at his buddy) Something with a lot of alcohol
Dude's buddy: Yeah high gravity ale
Me: Yeah but what kind?
Dude: Ummmmmm, ale?
Me: (sigh to myself) Well, this US-05 can take a beer up to 12% or more...
Dude: Cool thanks
Me: *facepalm

I suppose I could have been more helpful. It was weird too because these guys were older, like in their 40s maybe. They just had no clue.

Yeah,it seems like you just can't avoid the I wanna make some cheap,decent tasting hooch with a butt load of alcohol crowd forever. I was in the habit of drinking shots with my beers all the time,even with my home brews. Then I decided to give up vodka for Lent. Then bills went way up & no more home brews left or could brew. I went to the gas station to get some munchies for me & the wife for St Patrick's day,& a Honey Brown Lager for me. It'd been a while since I had a beer as well. I actually could taste more of the honey/malts in the lager this time. The lady I know behind the counter asked if I'd lost weight. How bout that,I did?! Hadn't really thought of it. So I think I'll take the lil bit of vodka left in the jug & put it in my small bottle I fill my airlocks with. I'm past the brew high ABV stuff point now. I just don't let the BMC'rs & hooch makers get me down anymore. Although I still have to bite my tongue every now & then. Like a month or so ago when I was at Wally World shopping & went to look at the beer cooler shelves. I had to have another country lookin fella reach the Kona for me,their Fire Rock pale ale. He went down to the BMC area on the end & picked up Coors Silver bullet,saying," & I'll pick the safe stuff",holding it up for me to see. Definitely tongue biting time. He did help me after all,since I was riding a broke back buggy.

Not so much. If I can't raise my concerns out of fear of that sort of retribution, the crappy human beings who would spit in someone's food have won.

There it is.

At the bar I worked at we would never do that, but we would throw a beer mug in the bottom of the dishwasher for about 30 seconds for ya.

Life's too short to get worked up about orange slices in beer.

Anyway, I have one from the homebrew store my last visit. It was saturday and it was really busy. I was grabbing a sachet of dry yeast and these two confused looking guys are standing there with several sachets of different Safale yeast in their hands.

Me: How's it going?
Dude: Hey which of these should I use?
Me: What are you making?
Dude: (looks at his buddy) Something with a lot of alcohol
Dude's buddy: Yeah high gravity ale
Me: Yeah but what kind?
Dude: Ummmmmm, ale?
Me: (sigh to myself) Well, this US-05 can take a beer up to 12% or more...
Dude: Cool thanks
Me: *facepalm

I suppose I could have been more helpful. It was weird too because these guys were older, like in their 40s maybe. They just had no clue.

I just make towers out of the fruit or throw it into the beers of one of the other people drinking with me (with far less discriminating taste), much like I do with straws from my water glass. It is surprising that rarely is the hint understood when there is a log cabin of fruit/straws sitting beside my glass. I use the bread dish for the fruit, I am not a heathen after all.

Also, I believe they may be after it for nefarious purposes. The owner of my HBS does not even put the flaked corn out on the shelves because of the fear of "shiners".

I bought a variety 12 pack Saturday of abita it ha two bottles of six different beers including a seasonal. I was a little shocked when I pulled out the seasonal and it was a Christmas ale.

Two quick ones from Disney World.

I ordered a New Belgium Ranger. The waitress brought the can over and remarked upon how they must have come out with new artwork for the label for St. Paddy's Day because they filled Pharrell's hat with shamrocks.

In the next instance, at another restaurant, I ordered a Sierra Nevada as soon as we were sat. The waitress asked: "Is Sprite okay instead?" Upon seeing the totally befuddled look on my face, she realized what I actually asked and started laughing at herself, explaining that she mixed it up with Sierra Mist.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

i worked in a place that had bootlegger's old world hefeweizen on tap - one of the best american made hefs i've ever had. Sometimes a person would order it, i'd put it in front of them, and they'd say, "where's the orange slice?"

usually my snotty answer was, "well, we don't like to ruin our beer." and then i'd get them one.

If a server asked for a slice of orange, i'd always serve it on a plate on the side. Why would i ruin the aroma of a beautifully made beer by sticking fruit on it?

Amen! Thank you!

Back