Full bodied stout that finishes dry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kagemusha

Reaction score
I have a stout fermenting now that I'm hoping will fulfill the title of this thread, but if it doesn't (and, let's face it, it probably won't) I'm curious to know what you think would bring about a full bodied stout (ever so slightly sweet) that still leaves you dry and wanting more?

2.8 gallons:

3lbs Light DME
8oz molasses (Grandma's Original)
8oz Light Brown Sugar

1lb Crystal 60
4oz Chocolate Malt
4oz Coffee Malt
4oz Black Patent

2tsp Vanilla (primary)

2oz Centennial (60)
1oz Cluster (3)

All Grain brewing offers a LOT more control over this sort of thing (via mash temp and water profile).

That said...
Replacing some extract with sugar will increase dryness.
Might consider adding some gypsum (calcium sulfate), which increases perception of dryness.
Dryness is the enemy of body. You could use "Denny's Favorite" yeast to increase body.

"Dryness is the enemy of body."
This

Thanks for the info. I may begin AG in the near future, but, even there, you point out the specific problem I (we) face. Guinness lacks body IMHO (as well as umph) and I'm drawn to an idea in my mind of the perfect stout, and it is full, robust, but not cloying and not OVERpowering, and finishes without stickiness. I want the mouthfeel without the residue, just the flavor. I will continue . . .

if your going to go AG try a Brüt stout, use gluco to finish dry. i do it all the time....molasses has a lot of unfermentables and will never be dry...

with gluco, i can get body and a FG of 1.000 in a stout...just use dark grain, not molasses...

if your going to go AG try a Brüt stout, use gluco to finish dry. i do it all the time....molasses has a lot of unfermentables and will never be dry...

with gluco, i can get body and a FG of 1.000 in a stout...just use dark grain, not molasses...
Interesting idea (amylase enzyme). It would work the same with extract beers, since it works best when added to the fermenter.
However I was under the impression that it does remove a lot of body.

Please keep in mind your experience may not apply to a lot of people here since you use under-modified malt (among other things).

Interesting idea (amylase enzyme). It would work the same with extract beers, since it works best when added to the fermenter.
However I was under the impression that it does remove a lot of body.

Please keep in mind your experience may not apply to a lot of people here since you use under-modified malt (among other things).

i do get a bit more protein in my beer, because of acrospires and what not. don't know if that's the body i get. just know i still get the, what bud light drinkers call, cough syrup feel from it. even at 1.000

and remember when your buying your gluco, amylase enzyme is alpha amylase and glucoamylase is the add to fermenter at room temp one to ferment dry.

Back