Frozen Beer Now Cloudy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheHunk

Reaction score
Made a golden Belgian ale. Fermented at 60 for a week then I brought it upstairs for 3 days for a 72 degree rest. After that I put it on the back porch for a couple of days of cold crashing. When I went to check it the plastic carboy had frozen solid. Since it has thawed (23 days ago) it is very cloudy and yeasty smelling. I put it into the keg/fridge 7 days ago and it is still the same. Any help on getting the yeast/cloudness removed would be appreciated. Recipe below.

9.0 lb Dingemans Pilsner malt
8.0 oz Carapils malt
8.0 oz Crystal 10 malt
2.0 oz Crystal 40 malt
1 lb light candi sugar
1.0 oz Styrian Goldings [3.80%] (60 min)
1.0 oz Styrian Goldings [3.80%] (20 min)
Mashed at 157 for 60 minutes.

TIA
Wes Hunkler

Try using gelatin to drop out some of the haze. You basically could try any post-fermentation fining agent like PolyClar if you wanted.

I did pretty much the same - froze 5 gallons of Pale Ale. I used the gelatin to clear it up. It worked decently, but I am sure the beer would be clearer had I not frozen it

http://www.bertusbrewery.com/2012/06/how-to-clear-your-beer-with-gelatin.html

Thanks grrickar. Gelatin was my first thought although I've never done it before. The directions look pretty simple.

Back