Fridge for Conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hagbardceline

Reaction score
I am considering using my fridge for conditioning to help clear the beer but I'm wondering should I be worried about any off flavors from everything else in the fridge? Do I have to have a separate fridge besides the fact that I could control the temp much better that way?

I'm thinking of doing a test to see how cool I can keep the carboy but don't want to risk spoiling the brew!

When water, such as what is in beer cools (but doesn't freeze) it shrinks. When it does that, it will create a suction that can cause dripping of the airlock water. You could substitute cheap vodka instead of water if you're really worried about it, but I wouldn't worry. Just don't fill the airlock all the way up to the fill line, and it'll be fine, regardless.

I brewed an IPA and I put it in the fridge to clear. Should I leave it in for the full conditioning period of two weeks then take it out and let it warm up for bottling and to carbonate (sugar in bottles) or take it out as soon as it is clear? It is sitting around 40 degrees currently...

Or I guess what I am asking is what effect does conditioning temp have on the final product.

Thanks

I am considering using my fridge for conditioning to help clear the beer but I'm wondering should I be worried about any off flavors from everything else in the fridge? Do I have to have a separate fridge besides the fact that I could control the temp much better that way?

I'm thinking of doing a test to see how cool I can keep the carboy but don't want to risk spoiling the brew!

I was wondering the same thing a while ago. Someone has said that if you prime the beer then bottle and move directly to the fridge that it would be too cold and the beer wouldn't be carbonated. that's just what someone told me

this is actually before priming. it has only been in secondary for a few days. it was dry hopped with pellets and the pellets have cleared quickly but now i'm thinking maybe i wanted the hops to sit on top a while longer...

I conditioned a keg in the fridge for 5 months, kept one other in the basement. Tapped both, IMO the fridge brew tasted better...as well as the 10 other guests. I just placed another keg in the fridge this week to validate this theory. What a great hobby!

Beer takes 3 weeks at 70 degrees to fully carbonate. So if you do crash cooling for two weeks first, when you take it out of the fridge you'll still have to wait three weeks for carbonation. Crash cooling helps drop all the haze and proteins out of the beer, making it really bright and clear. You can always crash cool later, while it's in bottles. Just be careful with the pour!

Back