Found: 32qt Brew pot 19.99 Free shipping!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is NICE for $20:

41C-L7k1w6L._AA260_.jpg

But, I have a keggle. Can I justify buying one?

:confused:

For $20, I could drill it for a couple of elements and make a decent HLT out of it.

Be easier to wrassle around than a keg, and 7 gallons or so will take care of up to 10 gallon batches, as long as they are less than Imperial SG.

Hmmm...

:confused:

People must have been impressed, they're out of stock.

Looks like you can still get them through Amazon.com but then you have to pay $8 shipping. WalMart.com has them as well but it takes a week or two for them to ship them to a store close to you. They do ship for free though.

This appears to be the same as the IMUSA brand one that is available several places.

Thanks for posting, I really need to buy a brew kettle and I would have been all over this.

I ordered the IMUSA one from Amazon (Target sells through their system) and it was delayed three times. Seems they can't keep them in stock.

I ended up getting a Bayou Classic Stainless Steel one for considerably more, but it's bigger and when the Aluminum IMUSA kettle arrived, I compared them before I returned it. I was more impressed with spending a little more on a good SS pot.

But I appreciate econimics and the desire to save a little coin.

There is another one from target but you have to pay shipping. Walmart has a tamale steamer same thing and I think they do site to store/ free shipping to the store for around 24 or 26.

I have looked at Tamale steamers before thinking about homebrew use and they have always seemed very light to me. Lighter than the budget 40qt kettle I got from Austin Homebrew. I would be worried about them standing up to use on a propane burner

is this pretty flimsy? i'm sure it's not heavy-duty for that price, but i'm just wondering how thin it really is.

The Walmart by me has them for $25 (they have about 12-15 of them that are always on the shelf)
I considered buying one, but they are very thin... plus I got hooked up with a sanke keg for $30...

If it is too thin then my wife can have it and I can find a bigger one. It was $21.19 shipped so I can't really complain about it.

The IMUSA one has a ship weight of 5.5lbs and the Vasconia is almost 7 so it seems to be at least slightly heavier duty.

EDIT: The shipping weight is almost 10 lbs according to the UPS tracking info. Looking good so far. We'll see when it gets here.

Ok, just got my pot in.It's not as cheap and flimsy as I thought. Don't get me wrong, it's not heavy duty but I think it will last as long as I take care of it. It's more heavy duty than my 20 qt stainless, but I bought that for 7.99 at gordmans. For 7.99 you cant expect qualty. :mug:

Just opened the box, I was expecting something completely different. Instead of the usual steamer basket it has a false bottom. It is also much wider than I was expecting for a pot that said it is "great for stove top use". The sides are exactly how I expected but I wish the bottom was a bit heavier. Overall it is a good $20 purchase. If it doesn't work out for brewing then it will certainly work for steaming lots of crap in.

Just opened the box, I was expecting something completely different. Instead of the usual steamer basket it has a false bottom. It is also much wider than I was expecting for a pot that said it is "great for stove top use". The sides are exactly how I expected but I wish the bottom was a bit heavier. Overall it is a good $20 purchase. If it doesn't work out for brewing then it will certainly work for steaming lots of crap in.

Yeah, I've allready got it figured out. 2 maybe 3 lobsters half cut potatoes cajun and seafood seasoning! YUMMM Then the next day, double IPA even better. I will put it to use. :mug:

Yeah, I've allready got it figured out. 2 maybe 3 lobsters half cut potatoes cajun and seafood seasoning! YUMMM Then the next day, double IPA even better. I will put it to use. :mug:
I was thinking more along the lines of crawfish, clams, andoullie, corn, potatoes... stuff like that.

I've considered one of these before - I'd be very curious to hear how well it works for brewing... do you think the handles would be safe for lifting when it's full of hot wort?

i looked at the same one at kohls they were on clearance they looked great for stovetop, the handles looked ok but wouldnt trust a full pot of hot wort to the rivets. seemed heavy enough but would be leery of using a high output burner..

i went back to purchase one for stovetop use and they were gone..

I did, I wrapped two layers of pipe insulation tape around it (three rolls of the aluminum kind) and it brought 3.5 gallons to a boil in about 20 minutes on my stove top (2.5 gallon batch.)

Since it is so wide I kept the lid on half way for the entire boil and don't think I'm going to have any issues with DMS and I boiled off just about exactly one gallon.

Cleaning is a bit of a pain with that insulation tape on there but I think a good coating of metal repair tape on top of that should take care of that. It still wont fit in my sink though.

Overall I really like it and it worked perfectly. The $10 worth of insulation made it cool to touch and come to a boil really quickly on an old, weak stove top.

Has anyone tried drilling this and putting in a weldless valve? It looks like the ridge for the steam tray would be at just the height you'd want to mount the valve.

I have looked at Tamale steamers before thinking about homebrew use and they have always seemed very light to me. Lighter than the budget 40qt kettle I got from Austin Homebrew. I would be worried about them standing up to use on a propane burner

Unless you put it on the burner empty, there are no worries. I've been using a cheap aluminum pot for 2 years now.

They're actually safer than SS on a hot burner because they conduct heat so much better. IE, you're heating Wort, not the pot. That being said, do not put an empty aluminum pot on a burner unless you want molten aluminum all over your driveway.

You would need a dip tube at that level and possibly even a little lower than that. I would put it where the top of the hole was at the bottom of the lip and use a small dip tube.

I hope so. With shipping and tax it was $31. I shouldn't have waited on buying this when I first saw it. :(

I got my pot this weekend and boiled 6 gallons of water last night to set the oxide level. It look around an hour to get a roiling boil. Would using the pipe insulation be safe with a propane burner? The pot is the same size diameter as my burner, so there is no way the flame would go up the sides.

When I had the pot on the burner, I could see the shape of the burner stand on the inside of the pot. It was like it was burned into the bottom, but just on the inside. Is this normal?

Latest posts

Back