Yakima Valley free shipping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJBanks

Reaction score
Just got an email from Yakima Valley for free shipping until Monday. Does anyone know how often they run this special? I want to stock up but if this is something they do every couple months then I will scale down my order. Prices at my LHBS are way higher on grain and hops.

Just got an email from Yakima Valley for free shipping until Monday. Does anyone know how often they run this special? I want to stock up but if this is something they do every couple months then I will scale down my order. Prices at my LHBS are way higher on grain and hops.
I got the same e-mail and honestly, this is the first time I've seen this offer. Not to say that they don't do it often, I just haven't noticed. For my money, I'd go with hopsdirect.com. Just took a quick look and a pound of 2022 Cascade is $14.99 at Yakima Valley and $8.60 at Hops Direct. Even with free shipping, you would end up paying more.

I primarily use Yakima Valley if Hop Direct are out of something or they have something on sale.

I got the same e-mail and honestly, this is the first time I've seen this offer. Not to say that they don't do it often, I just haven't noticed. For my money, I'd go with hopsdirect.com. Just took a quick look and a pound of 2022 Cascade is $14.99 at Yakima Valley and $8.60 at Hops Direct. Even with free shipping, you would end up paying more.

I primarily use Yakima Valley if Hop Direct are out of something or they have something on sale.
Thanks I will check them out. I was mainly looking at bulk grain. Buying grain to ship is crazy expensive from what I've looked at in the past and their price is in most cases over a $1 cheaper per pound then my LHBS. But I was going to throw some hops in as well lol

First I have ever seen it as well. The flash sale is usually a hop sale (hop for sale by the pound), so they might exclude grains from the free shipping? Definitely worth trying your luck though.

I visit them so infrequently that I didn't even know they started selling grains. I did a mock order of a few hops and way too many grains and sure enough... shipping was free. I might wanna look into this. Kinda running low on some grains myself.

Damn.
I just told my wife during breakfast that I was NOT buying any ingredients until at least 3 more brew sessions. I like to liquidate inventory, and then stock up. But I could use some Maris otter and 3-4 specialties....

I visit them so infrequently that I didn't even know they started selling grains. I did a mock order of a few hops and way too many grains and sure enough... shipping was free. I might wanna look into this. Kinda running low on some grains myself.
Yeah I added about 150 ponds of grains and it was free shipping!

Damn.
I just told my wife during breakfast that I was NOT buying any ingredients until at least 3 more brew sessions. I like to liquidate inventory, and then stock up. But I could use some Maris otter and 3-4 specialties....
Sounds like someone has a triple brew day they need to get to right now.

You have to order $75 to get the free shipping, right?

As least as far as hops go, that is not a huge benefit in my eyes. It is pretty much the same price to ship 1 lb of hops vs 4 lbs (around $12). There are definitely times that I want to order some hops but I would rather just get 1 or 2 lbs...but dividing the shipping cost over 4 lbs always feels like a better deal. If I could get free shipping on a small order, I might be tempted to grab something unusual.

I usually time my YVH orders around a good First Friday sale. The last two years I have placed larger orders during their Black Friday sales (then I spend the next year trying to make a dent in my hop freezer supply!).

Looking at their grain selection, I notice they don't have a ton of variety. The biggest bags are 10 lbs, right? The price on 10 lb bags is lower than my local shop (say $15 there vs $20 at the shop) and maybe a little cheaper than places like More Beer, but not a price savings vs purchasing a full sack at a local shop.

As least as far as hops go, that is not a huge benefit in my eyes. It is pretty much the same price to ship 1 lb of hops vs 4 lbs (around $12). There are definitely times that I want to order some hops but I would rather just get 1 or 2 lbs...but dividing the shipping cost over 4 lbs always feels like a better deal. If I could get free shipping on a small order, I might be tempted to grab something unusual.

I usually time my YVH orders around a good First Friday sale. The last two years I have placed larger orders during their Black Friday sales (then I spend the next year trying to make a dent in my hop freezer supply!).

Looking at their grain selection, I notice they don't have a ton of variety. The biggest bags are 10 lbs, right? The price on 10 lb bags is lower than my local shop (say $15 there vs $20 at the shop) and maybe a little cheaper than places like More Beer, but not a price savings vs purchasing a full sack at a local shop.
Thats awesome if you can get a good deal on a sack locally. My LHBS only gives a .20 cent per pound discount buying in 50 pound bag. Still makes 2 Row $2.39 a pound there. YVH had a 10 pound bag for $11.99. Ordered six of those.

Where is Va are you?

Northern Virginia. The Cascades area of Potomac Falls/Sterling.

Prices on 55lb sacks of grain have been creeping up, but I can get some in the $60 to $70 range.
I've bought a few times when I've been visiting a friend in DC. Usually from a place in Alexandria. Nice you can still get that price up that way. I'm down in Va Beach. Will buy from Final Gravity in Richmond when I'm up that way. But a long drive still just to go for that unless I can buy a lot at once.

Yeah I added about 150 ponds of grains and it was free shipping!

I order from Delta Brewing. Free shipping over 60. Blows my mind. I ordered four 55lb sacks and some other stuff. 250lbs - FREE shipping. How?? lol 3rd time i've done that. The malt is pretty standard price

I agree if you are looking to buy just hops. However, some of their grain pricing is pretty good, especially if you don't have the option for local group buys for full bags. If you want hops and grain, then this s a great time to buy from YVH.

I buy most of my hops from YVH, but usually in bulk around Black Friday or in response to an incredible Friday Sale for something like $16/lb Citra. Even adding in shipping, a bulk order of hops, even under $75 total, will be much less from Hops Direct.

I order from Delta Brewing. Free shipping over 60. Blows my mind. I ordered four 55lb sacks and some other stuff. 250lbs - FREE shipping. How?? lol 3rd time i've done that. The malt is pretty standard price
Wow! I will check that out also. Thanks

fwiw, YVH site-wide prices are 20% off today only!
I have been trying to avoid the temptation as I have a bunch of hops in my freezer to use up. The prices on the 2022 close out are crazy good, and 20% off sale makes everything a solid deal. I have been wanting to play around more with Lupomax and some of the hop extract products.

As far as this thread goes...I took a look at their grain offerings, and it seems that much of them are out of stock right now.

fyi, Yakima Valley Hops is having a Mosaic sale. Ends the 22nd...

Cheers!

1705601998632.png

I noticed that their 2022 Mosaic hops are standard price and the 2023 are on sale. Could it possibly be that the 2023 wasn't a good year for the hops and they're trying to unload them? I don't see why the 2022 wouldn't also be on sale. Not making any accusations, just curious.

I noticed that their 2022 Mosaic hops are standard price and the 2023 are on sale. Could it possibly be that the 2023 wasn't a good year for the hops and they're trying to unload them? I don't see why the 2022 wouldn't also be on sale. Not making any accusations, just curious.
2022 Mosaic were $8/pound a month ago.

Probably trying to sell through their supply of the most recent harvest so they don't get stuck with them like older harvests. If you look at some of the other hop retailers online, they're trying to get rid of hops from the past few years at pennies on the dollar compared to their current prices. There's a glut of hops on the market outside of the hottest varieties because the wholesalers have contracts with the farms and have to buy what's grown. Those 2023 mosaics are probably a loss leader for getting people to buy enough hops to qualify for free shipping.

Those 2023 mosaics are probably a loss leader for getting people to buy enough hops to qualify for free shipping.

And that usually works for me 😁 But this time I had just ordered a bunch of pounds (actually expect the rest of that to arrive today) and had enough Mosaic on hand to do a couple of brews. I'll wait for the next deal...

Cheers!

Back