For All of You Who Have Made Their Own Keggles...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used one tube and made my mash tun with it. I drilled a hole in the center and cut slits with a hack saw and corked it with rubber stoppers. I'm planning to make an H shaped sparge arm with another two tubes and a copper T.
Here's the mash tun.

tun01.jpg

tun02.jpg

It holds water just fine. I hope it works good too.

There's a retainer ring that needs to be pushed down and turned. You can also just hack that fricken end off with a cutoff wheel or hack saw. Oh, and the stainless ball bearing that acts as a valve is also a great dryhop weight.

thanks Bobby, by the way, since you got your 3 keg setup,how do you like using a keg for a mashtun? Our Coleman extreme is so efficient, we're reluctant to change.

Well the first cooler didn't work out so I made one ala Flyguy and used the sanke tube for a sparge arm instead. It works well. I set it right at water level and it does not stir he grain bed at all.

arm.jpg

thanks Bobby, by the way, since you got your 3 keg setup,how do you like using a keg for a mashtun? Our Coleman extreme is so efficient, we're reluctant to change.

I'm still on the fence about this. Cooler mashtuns are super easy to use and very heat efficient. It very well could be that my desire for a shiny three vessel system outweighed the necessity of having a direct fired tun.

My 18 month old son found one of mine and immediately realized it made a perfect smasher for testing the strength of all of daddy's stuff in the garage. BAM! That's solid. BAM! That's sturdy. BAM! *crash* Not so much. THUMP! That makes daddy cry and hop on one foot.

I also did what Bobby did for his sight glass...Sprayed the inside with white high temp paint!

IMG_1255.jpg

i have seen people put a heating element inside mounting them to the side of there mash keggle and pumping the wort through the system to keep an even temp. i thought it was a great use of the tube and a great way to maintain temp in a keg

Sorry that was a bit vauge ive theen them put to use in a h.e.r.m.s system welded to the side of the keg. endcaps at both ends cold wort enters the bottom pumped up the tube containing the element out the top to re-circulate.

Sorry that was a bit vauge ive theen them put to use in a h.e.r.m.s system welded to the side of the keg. endcaps at both ends cold wort enters the bottom pumped up the tube containing the element out the top to re-circulate.

Sounds more like a RIMS system than a HERMS, but yeah, neat idea if it works.

RIMS... your more than likely right i always forget the small yet completely important details... the only problem i had seen with it was the possibility of the wort getting scorched or too hot on the way through seeing that its so narrow... but like i said im not entirly sure of the complexity of it im still in ol pot on ol burner with a little cooler action phase of brewing :mug:

Latest posts

Back