Foam Issues - What Am I doing wrong?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjs555

Reaction score
Long time reader, first time posting

Ok, to start with, this is an ongoing issue and as I've tried to work through it I've probably read through every posting online related to keg foam issues, pressure issues, keg balancing, etc. I've been brewing for about 2 years, just bought my first keg setup back in December. Since then I've had 6 batches of beer in the keg with varying results, but the consistent issue I've had with every batch has been excessive amounts of foam. In all this time (and through almost 20 gallons of beer) I've had maybe 2-3 decent pours out of the keg.

The Details

The keg is a 3 gallon AMCYL type with ball-lock posts. I have a 5lb CO2 tank with a Taprite Dual-Gauge regulator mounted to it and high quality SS fittings at the connection to the disconnect. Disconnects are both the plastic type, not sure if there is a better variety. On the beverage side I've currently got 10' of 3/16 ID beverage tubing to a cobra tap. The whole setup currently sits in a high quality JennAir Refridgerator with a built in thermostat set to 33F. In a previous apartment I had the keg in a crappy old fridge (and assumed lack of consistent temps contributed to foaming) but diligently tried multiple temperature settings from 31F-37F with fairly consistent (read: foamy) results. These temps were measured in fridge with a wine thermometer in a glass of water. I've also tried my digital thermometer and now have a thermometer with a digital reading in the fridge.

As far as equipment details go that's about it, except to say I typically ferment in a glass carboy, have dry-hopped most of the beers going into the keg (and have definitely had a significant amount of hop particles in there in several batches). You should also know I am in Vancouver Canada, basically at sea level. Also, after each keg kicks I have taken the whole thing apart, soaked in PBW, cleaned out all poppets and disconnects, run PBW through hoses, then flushed with water and then StarSan.

Foam Description
Most batches, when everything is set up nicely, I'm not getting bubbles visible in the line, but the beer coming out of the tap foams up fast enough that by the time my glass is full (typically drink out of 500ml stemless wine glasses) it is 3/4 foam. When the foam settles I end up with half a glass of beer, usually still with a good amount of carbonation. On occasion, I have had trouble with foam appearing in the line (ie CO2 coming out of solution) - usually because I have gotten frustrated and started messing with my regulator trying to get a good pour. Foam appearance has varied from "normal" looking, to soapy or creamy on some batches, to big bubbles on freshly carbed batches done the shaking method.

Troubeshooting
Balancing - so based on everything I encountered online when I first had trouble, my first expectation was that my system was not balanced. I increased my line length initially from about 4ft (what I was sold at the LHBS) to about 8ft. This did not appear to make a hint of a difference. My first couple of kegs were carbed the set-and-forget method at 12psi. With these settings, the beer was still rocketing out of the tap, even with 8ft of line. Ultimately I bought 12ft of line, but still had foam issues. Beer would rocket out of tap and immediately foam like crazy.

One thing I discovered early on was how easily the poppets clog with hop material. After the second batch, cleaning poppets I found a huge amount of hop material jamming the poppet on the liquid out line. After this experience I made a concerted effort to limit hop material in the keg, mainly being more careful with racking and even clamping a fine nylon hop bag over the end of the tube when racking into the keg. I've had a variety of beer in there, from cloudy and full of hops to clear beer, either way I had massive foam with every pour.

After the ruling out hop material as the foam catalyst, I wondered if somehow I had a leak in the system. However, after spraying it all down with starsan on several occasions, and no sign of loss of pressure over time, this does not appear to be the problem.

After the first 3 batches I trimmed the liquid out back to about 10'. Mainly because when I did have foam in the line it seemed to make it worse, and didn't seem to make any difference in terms of pour velocity anyhow. Rocketing no matter what. I started rather to turn down my regulators pressure - first to ten, then 8, then 6, then down lower and lower. Unfortunately at these pressures I start to lose a lot of accuracy, as the needle seems to get jammed when the pressure is below about 8.

The last batch, I force carbed at a regulator reading of 6 psi. Gave it some light shaking, refilled head space at 6 psi, more light shaking, then hooked it up. I actually got some decent pours that first evening. As the batch has matured, it seemed to get more and more carbonated. I mean, I go to breweries all the time, and I seldom encounter beer as carbonated as what I am getting. At 6 psi. It comes out at a reasonable rate at 6 psi - still pretty fast - but tends to foam up at least 60/40 foam to beer. Usually worse.

I've read all about how opening the fridge alot can cause foam. Obviously a keg in the main house fridge is not ideal (ask my wife!) but surely it should still be functional beyond what I am getting. Keg, CO2 tank and line are all in the fridge, kept at a relatively constant 33F.

I'm literally at a loss. I've searched out tons of forum posts. It seems like everyone has trouble initially balancing their system, but then they hit the sweet spot and have good pours. I read about people force carbing at 30 psi, serving at 10-12psi, and I literally cannot believe it based on my experiences. Please, please somebody help! I love the convenience of kegging over bottling, having beer on hand at all times. It's great. But I need to be able to pour a decent glass! I want to upgrade to a dedicated fridge with flow control taps, but I'm afraid I'll drop another couple hundred bucks and still have endless foam. What am I doing wrong? Is my regulator broken? I've talked to the guy who sold it to me, he isn't much help (ie not an expert)... I have no way to prove it doesn't work and it's been used for like 6 months now.

Final Thoughts

Beyond what I've mentioned above, I've got a number of potential theories, but it would be great if someone has had a similar experience and can speak to how they solved it.
- As a person with a reasoned approach, I am not inclined to blame a relatively foolproof, brand-new piece of equipment, however it really does seem odd that my regulator shows 6 psi with excessively carbed and overly foamy beer. Right? Has anyone else encountered this? I've searched forums for regulator issues but haven't come across this (ie low reading, high output);
- Do smaller kegs skew the numbers? Ie the 3 gallon keg is shorter than a standard corny, the dip tube is shorter; does it take less pressure or longer lines to balance the system? I really don't want to have 20' of beverage line in the fridge, but will try it if people think that really is the issue;
- Cobra taps suck. Even when I do have reasonable pours, the end of the pour always adds a bit of extra foam, no matter how hard I try to quickly release the lever. Can someone please invent a better cobra tap! And maybe a better liquid disconnect system that doesn't jam with hop material... I'd pay to upgrade. As mentioned, I plan to upgrade to Perlick flow control tap in a dedicated beer fridge... But suspect I will still get massive foam unless I can find the root problem here.
- One other thing: the high pressure gauge on the reg that is supposed to indicate an empty tank has never once read over 500. With a full tank outside the fridge (ie warmed up) it has shown a reading just above the red area (never in the green). On the first tank, when it ran out, it indicated empty for ages before it finally kicked. Are the gauges directly related?

Ok, that's it. Any help, sympathy, information or similar experiences welcome. Sorry for the novel.

Regards;

I'd suspect either a leak in the beer line connection or a faulty regulator. 33F @ 6psi looks like 2.2 vol, which you wouldn't expect to "rocket" out of the tap. I get decent pours (slightly foamy, maybe 1.5 to 2" of head on a pint) with my 6' of 3/16" beer line / cobra tap setup for kegs out of the kegerator. You should be getting similar or better with 10' of line. Have you tried filling the pint glass as high above the keg as possible? Gravity will provide some added resistance to the setup.

Do you notice bubbles/foam/dead space in the beer line near the pin lock when the line is attached to the keg? You may also be forcing air into the beer line via a leak somewhere. When the line is attached to the keg it should be filled with beer from the pin lock to the cobra tap, just beer, nothing else.

You said any sympathy, etc... Well heres big time sympathy for you. Troubleshooting sucks, especially when it feels like youve tried everything and the problem is still there. Have you replaced all the seals on your keg? Like, all of them? Posts, dip tubes, etc. You could be getting some air mixing in there if theyre old or damaged. I had someone tell me once that seals need to be replaced every 4-5 keg uses. Dont know how true that is, but for a few bucks and peace of mind I usually try to stick to that.

Im inclined to think that its the cobra tap. Everytime I use my picnic tap on camping trips or what have you I get ridiculous amounts of foam (even with little to no added co2 pressure). I think they just churn the beer as its coming out. You could always try shutting the co2 off, purging the prv and removing the picnic tap temporarily to try pouring a beer straight out of the line.

I honestly think its the tap. But, on another note, I would avoid shaking the keg to carbonate. I know a lot of people do it, but its an easy way to over carb IMO. I know you did it at 6psi so its not that big of a deal, but anything higher you could potentially run into issues with overcarbing.

Just in case the lines you are using are 3/16" as intended, I'll share my experience...

In my basement beer fridge, I use cobra taps with short (6' or less) lines and kegs set at 10-12 psi and I don't encounter this issue. So I doubt its the cobra taps (especially since you are aware that they need to be opened and closed as fast as possible). However, I frequently run into this problem with my travel/party setup, in which I use a cheap regulator. The pour can be just as you describe, too fast and foamy. For me, the problem is caused by the regulator and gauge I use on my travel tank. It is a cheapo setup from harbor freight. (It works good enough for its purpose and I don't care as much if it gets damaged, so I just deal with it.) Two things happen, the regulator tends to creep up a bit, and the gauge is inaccurate/sticky, so it doesn't register the actual psi well. In short, its difficult, if not impossible, to dial in the perfect PSI.

When it creeps up over the desired serving pressure, I experience the problems you describe. And this is on kegs that are already carbonated correctly; the issue would be worse if I tried to carbonate the kegs with the faulty regulator as they would end up overcarbonated. This, in turn, would lead to pouring problems even at a lower serving pressure (because of line balance issues).

I suspect that you may have a regulator and/or gauge issue. I've had nothing but good luck with TapRite equipment, but what you describe is so similar to what I deal with when I use a faulty regulator that I suspect the issue is due to higher-than-indicated pressure. I would suspect a bad gauge over a bad regulator though. Also, I've read some very good reviews of Taprite's customer service on this forum, so you may be able to get somewhere by calling them.

I use 12 feet of 3/16" set to 12psi at 40f with a cheap cobra tap...perfect pours. I coil the extra line on the keg so it also stays cold. Also I squeeze the cobra tap wide open when pouring. You mentioned two things that stand out...your regulator never reads above 500psi and it sticks at lower pressures. Sounds like a faulty regulator.

Wow - thanks for the responses.
In response:

6psi looks like 2.2 vol, which you wouldn't expect to "rocket" out of the tap.
Still comes out pretty quick (ie faster than a tap at a pub / brewery). But main problem seems to be that CO2 comes out of solution as it hits the glass, so by the time the glass is full it is between 70-90% foam. The beer currently in the keg has been on gas at that pressure for 3 weeks at least.

Do you notice bubbles/foam/dead space in the beer line near the pin lock when the line is attached to the keg? You may also be forcing air into the beer line via a leak somewhere.

Not currently. I have found that if I start messing with regulator pressure trying to get a good pour I sometimes end up with CO2 coming out of solution in the line. I also have seen bubbles in the line when the poppet is partially jammed with hop particles - but currently all beer in the line. As for a leak - I wouldn't rule that out, but given that the system is under pressure wouldn't CO2 / beer come out rather than air come in? How could air be getting in?

You could always try shutting the co2 off, purging the prv and removing the picnic tap temporarily to try pouring a beer straight out of the line.
Good idea. I'll try this... But how does one shut off the flow? Also, re. shake carbonating - I'm definitely in agreement that the risk of over-carbonation is great. However, I have had good success shake carbonating test beers using a bottle lid carbonator, and the last two kegs started off well (ie best pours I've had) before gradually getting more foamy - and carbonated - as they ran down. Again, this is sitting on 6psi of gas or less.

Sure sounds like the beer line ID isn't actually 3/16"...
I know! But it is stamped "3/16 ID x 3/8 OD" right on the tube.

In my basement beer fridge, I use cobra taps with short (6' or less) lines and kegs set at 10-12 psi and I don't encounter this issue.

I'm jealous! Regarding your remarks about the effects of an inaccurate gauge / faulty regulator - I am inclined to think that there must be something wrong with it. It sounds as though based on everyones experiences there is no way I can be having these issues with 10' of line at 6psi. I will try calling TapRite - thanks for the tip. Maybe I can just get a new gauge, or take the unit apart and find the issue? Could it have been assembled incorrectly?

I use 12 feet of 3/16" set to 12psi at 40f with a cheap cobra tap...perfect pours. I coil the extra line on the keg so it also stays cold.
Yeah, my regulator must be the problem. 12psi at 40f would shoot across the room. I do have the 10' line neatly coiled, zip-tied together and sitting on top of the keg in the fridge.

Again, thanks for taking the time everyone. I'll update once I've had a chance to talk to TapRite / check the regulator. I'm tempted to take it apart when the keg kicks and see if there is anything amiss.

Regards;

You could always try shutting the co2 off, purging the prv and removing the picnic tap temporarily to try pouring a beer straight out of the line.
Good idea. I'll try this... But how does one shut off the flow? Also, re. shake carbonating - I'm definitely in agreement that the risk of over-carbonation is great. However, I have had good success shake carbonating test beers using a bottle lid carbonator, and the last two kegs started off well (ie best pours I've had) before gradually getting more foamy - and carbonated - as they ran down. Again, this is sitting on 6psi of gas or less.

Good question haha. I know that when I use my cobra tap, often times I have to shut off the gas and purge the extra headspace pressure to keep it from foaming. When I do that I can usually fill about 1 beer with the left over pressure in the keg. I guess I would say that based on my experience you should be fine. Otherwise, maybe have a second pint glass ready and/or someone there to pull the ball/pin lock QD?

About the rolling, ya thats why I said you should be fine, but I just try to avoid it. Its really not a huge deal, but when youre trying to troubleshoot foamy kegs I would avoid a process that could result in foamy kegs (at higher psi's) :) :mug:

Two guesses:

1: Your regulator is 'creeping' up, over carbonating your beer.
2: Your beer isn't really done fermenting when you're kegging it, it's continuing to ferment in the keg which will lead to overcarbonation.

Free third guess: Your beer lines are not 3/16.

Long time reader, first time posting

Ok, to start with, this is an ongoing issue and as I've tried to work through it I've probably read through every posting online related to keg foam issues, pressure issues, keg balancing, etc. I've been brewing for about 2 years, just bought my first keg setup back in December. Since then I've had 6 batches of beer in the keg with varying results, but the consistent issue I've had with every batch has been excessive amounts of foam. In all this time (and through almost 20 gallons of beer) I've had maybe 2-3 decent pours out of the keg.

The Details
The keg is a 3 gallon AMCYL type with ball-lock posts. I have a 5lb CO2 tank with a Taprite Dual-Gauge regulator mounted to it and high quality SS fittings at the connection to the disconnect. Disconnects are both the plastic type, not sure if there is a better variety. On the beverage side I've currently got 10' of 3/16 ID beverage tubing to a cobra tap. The whole setup currently sits in a high quality JennAir Refridgerator with a built in thermostat set to 33F. In a previous apartment I had the keg in a crappy old fridge (and assumed lack of consistent temps contributed to foaming) but diligently tried multiple temperature settings from 31F-37F with fairly consistent (read: foamy) results. These temps were measured in fridge with a wine thermometer in a glass of water. I've also tried my digital thermometer and now have a thermometer with a digital reading in the fridge.

As far as equipment details go that's about it, except to say I typically ferment in a glass carboy, have dry-hopped most of the beers going into the keg (and have definitely had a significant amount of hop particles in there in several batches). You should also know I am in Vancouver Canada, basically at sea level. Also, after each keg kicks I have taken the whole thing apart, soaked in PBW, cleaned out all poppets and disconnects, run PBW through hoses, then flushed with water and then StarSan.

Foam Description
Most batches, when everything is set up nicely, I'm not getting bubbles visible in the line, but the beer coming out of the tap foams up fast enough that by the time my glass is full (typically drink out of 500ml stemless wine glasses) it is 3/4 foam. When the foam settles I end up with half a glass of beer, usually still with a good amount of carbonation. On occasion, I have had trouble with foam appearing in the line (ie CO2 coming out of solution) - usually because I have gotten frustrated and started messing with my regulator trying to get a good pour. Foam appearance has varied from "normal" looking, to soapy or creamy on some batches, to big bubbles on freshly carbed batches done the shaking method.

Troubeshooting
Balancing - so based on everything I encountered online when I first had trouble, my first expectation was that my system was not balanced. I increased my line length initially from about 4ft (what I was sold at the LHBS) to about 8ft. This did not appear to make a hint of a difference. My first couple of kegs were carbed the set-and-forget method at 12psi. With these settings, the beer was still rocketing out of the tap, even with 8ft of line. Ultimately I bought 12ft of line, but still had foam issues. Beer would rocket out of tap and immediately foam like crazy.

One thing I discovered early on was how easily the poppets clog with hop material. After the second batch, cleaning poppets I found a huge amount of hop material jamming the poppet on the liquid out line. After this experience I made a concerted effort to limit hop material in the keg, mainly being more careful with racking and even clamping a fine nylon hop bag over the end of the tube when racking into the keg. I've had a variety of beer in there, from cloudy and full of hops to clear beer, either way I had massive foam with every pour.

After the ruling out hop material as the foam catalyst, I wondered if somehow I had a leak in the system. However, after spraying it all down with starsan on several occasions, and no sign of loss of pressure over time, this does not appear to be the problem.

After the first 3 batches I trimmed the liquid out back to about 10'. Mainly because when I did have foam in the line it seemed to make it worse, and didn't seem to make any difference in terms of pour velocity anyhow. Rocketing no matter what. I started rather to turn down my regulators pressure - first to ten, then 8, then 6, then down lower and lower. Unfortunately at these pressures I start to lose a lot of accuracy, as the needle seems to get jammed when the pressure is below about 8.

The last batch, I force carbed at a regulator reading of 6 psi. Gave it some light shaking, refilled head space at 6 psi, more light shaking, then hooked it up. I actually got some decent pours that first evening. As the batch has matured, it seemed to get more and more carbonated. I mean, I go to breweries all the time, and I seldom encounter beer as carbonated as what I am getting. At 6 psi. It comes out at a reasonable rate at 6 psi - still pretty fast - but tends to foam up at least 60/40 foam to beer. Usually worse.

I've read all about how opening the fridge alot can cause foam. Obviously a keg in the main house fridge is not ideal (ask my wife!) but surely it should still be functional beyond what I am getting. Keg, CO2 tank and line are all in the fridge, kept at a relatively constant 33F.

I'm literally at a loss. I've searched out tons of forum posts. It seems like everyone has trouble initially balancing their system, but then they hit the sweet spot and have good pours. I read about people force carbing at 30 psi, serving at 10-12psi, and I literally cannot believe it based on my experiences. Please, please somebody help! I love the convenience of kegging over bottling, having beer on hand at all times. It's great. But I need to be able to pour a decent glass! I want to upgrade to a dedicated fridge with flow control taps, but I'm afraid I'll drop another couple hundred bucks and still have endless foam. What am I doing wrong? Is my regulator broken? I've talked to the guy who sold it to me, he isn't much help (ie not an expert)... I have no way to prove it doesn't work and it's been used for like 6 months now.

Final Thoughts
Beyond what I've mentioned above, I've got a number of potential theories, but it would be great if someone has had a similar experience and can speak to how they solved it.
- As a person with a reasoned approach, I am not inclined to blame a relatively foolproof, brand-new piece of equipment, however it really does seem odd that my regulator shows 6 psi with excessively carbed and overly foamy beer. Right? Has anyone else encountered this? I've searched forums for regulator issues but haven't come across this (ie low reading, high output);
- Do smaller kegs skew the numbers? Ie the 3 gallon keg is shorter than a standard corny, the dip tube is shorter; does it take less pressure or longer lines to balance the system? I really don't want to have 20' of beverage line in the fridge, but will try it if people think that really is the issue;
- Cobra taps suck. Even when I do have reasonable pours, the end of the pour always adds a bit of extra foam, no matter how hard I try to quickly release the lever. Can someone please invent a better cobra tap! And maybe a better liquid disconnect system that doesn't jam with hop material... I'd pay to upgrade. As mentioned, I plan to upgrade to Perlick flow control tap in a dedicated beer fridge... But suspect I will still get massive foam unless I can find the root problem here.
- One other thing: the high pressure gauge on the reg that is supposed to indicate an empty tank has never once read over 500. With a full tank outside the fridge (ie warmed up) it has shown a reading just above the red area (never in the green). On the first tank, when it ran out, it indicated empty for ages before it finally kicked. Are the gauges directly related?

Ok, that's it. Any help, sympathy, information or similar experiences welcome. Sorry for the novel.

Regards;
I bought a new Amcyl keg. I had just started, wanted to keg root beer. I had the exact same problems you have. I fought it, read posts, created posts. During my research I found some mention of problems with the Amcyl posts, I was having similar problems. I also found some mention of quality control issues and returns of Amcyl kegs. After close examination I found the flange at the top of the dip tube was cracked.
I finally called my supplier and took back the keg, ordered an AEB. I just poured my first root beer from it. It needs more time to carbonate, but the very first pour was some decent root beer!
No problems at all.
I did go to duotight fittings with the EVA 4mm line and a Pluto beer gun as well.

I have the Amcyl keg. Works fine. I didn't read through the complete thread so I have one question.
Is the c02 tank inside the fridge/freezer with the keg?
From my experience, c02 doesn't like temp swings when hitting liquid. Especially large swings.
Otherwise, turn the regulator down, Ignore the gauge for now.
One thing at a time, test, if it works TADA!
If it doesn't, at least you've eliminated that possible issue.

I guess I'm going to have to add "Cracked Amcyl dip tube flange?" to the list of asks when folks have crazy foam issues.

Good to know ;)
You might remember helping me with this. It's when I turned the keg on it's side and it worked I knew the issue was the post/ dip tube/ gasket... whatever, gas was getting in the line. It's when I was cleaning it to return when I notice the crack at the top of the tip tube. That's what I get for not wearing glasses when I should have, I would have seen it earlier.

- Cobra taps suck. Even when I do have reasonable pours, the end of the pour always adds a bit of extra foam, no matter how hard I try to quickly release the lever. Can someone please invent a better cobra tap!
Only other thing I have seen is the Pluto gun. Stainless or Nylon/Stainless.

https://www.amazon.com/Sterling-Seal-OREPDNSF70D008X50-Approved-Propylene/dp/B01FYYV2L2/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=epdm+008+o+ring&qid=1612626869&sr=8-7

I have to agree on the bad regulator/gauge. You should not be able to "rocket" through a 3/16 ID 10' line, unless you have a lot of CO2 in the line (you should see the bubbles) or a huge pressure. Personally I use cobra taps and 10' for beer at 10psi, and soda is 25' at 25 psi. I need to splash a bit if I want a head on it, very reasonable.

I'd suspect either a leak in the beer line connection or a faulty regulator.

so......how do i tell if the guage is bad? i've been cranking it up to 50psi to burst carb then back down to 10psi for serving....now for some reason i get foam. i replaced my dip tube o-ring. and presto it worked, but i'm back to a foamy first pour now.....

even if my guage is wrong, i know the scale is right, and both my kegs got 1.2oz's of co2....i checked the temp of my serving lines, and my kegs both are at 42f.

(i know this is an old thread, just wanted to say thanks for giving me something more to think about....)

i would add this batch of beer i added 'by eyeball' what i think was about 8 oz's of cascade hops for a 10 minute boil.....and this isn't just foamy, i gotta wait like 10 minutes for the to die down, then when i pour to get the glass actually full, i have like 2" of head ABOVE the rim of the glass! but sturdy not flowing over it, lol :mug:

so......how do i tell if the guage is bad? i've been cranking it up to 50psi to burst carb then back down to 10psi for serving....now for some reason i get foam. i replaced my dip tube o-ring. and presto it worked, but i'm back to a foamy first pour now.....

even if my guage is wrong, i know the scale is right, and both my kegs got 1.2oz's of co2....i checked the temp of my serving lines, and my kegs both are at 42f.

(i know this is an old thread, just wanted to say thanks for giving me something more to think about....)

i would add this batch of beer i added 'by eyeball' what i think was about 8 oz's of cascade hops for a 10 minute boil.....and this isn't just foamy, i gotta wait like 10 minutes for the to die down, then when i pour to get the glass actually full, i have like 2" of head ABOVE the rim of the glass! but sturdy not flowing over it, lol :mug:
The gauge is a 3/2/3 gauge so precision you shouldn't concern yourself with.
3% +/- accuracy first third of the scale, 2 the middle, 3 the final 3rd.
You are looking for repeatability not precision. If that keg is less than 5 gallon be careful on pressure. It may only be rated at 60psi unlike most 5vers which are up to120 psi. It should be marked on the keg for what its rated for. If you are burst/force carbonatiing then you will have a foamy first poor. Sounds like you have it about right since after your first poor you're good to go.

Last edited:
You're not complaining, you're bragging!

LOL, i'm afraid not, i kinda get bored with eye candy after a while. want to get my mouth wet.....

It may only be rated at 60psi unlike most 5vers which are up to120 psi.

my gauge goes to 60psi, but then PRV's start leaking....

and to ALL, my picnic taps are just shot through the fridge door with a drilled hole. i pulled the line out a bit, notice gas in the line near the tap. and if i pour a glass then dump rinse repeat i get a normal pour. it would seem like a temp problem, but why all of the sudden?

sorry if i'm reanimating a dead thread.....i haven't had this problem until this batch, two different kegs. one pin lock with a flare fitting, one ball lock, barb 1/4"...both 10' 3/16" line, both picnic tap...the only difference i can tell is the crazy retention and the over use of hops in a VERY large 10"x24" hop bag....

929.jpg

just in case pictures are proof, that was 9:29, had to wait till 9:32 to fill it up...and got this.

932.jpg

it's 9:38 now and it's still there to where i couldn't get sip with out a milk mustache.
i could see how this would be apealling for a beer comercial, but i'm just a lowly alcoholic...lol

edit: for what it's worth even this post told me it was to long to post and i had to shorten it! :mug:

well my guage is acting weird....

it was at 10 psi, pouring foam. then i turned it up and it started making sounds like it was pumping co2 into the kegs, but the guage didn't go up.....so i turned it down, and vented the keg and and it vented like i was purging it at burst carb pressure....i set the guage to like 3psi, and it's pouring like it's at 10 now...

what do you think of this as a replacement for a tap-rite reg?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CO2-Pressu...136457?hash=item58ddbaea49:g:wZ4AAOSwInxXMMNa

and NO i'm not trolling, i hate head! kinda like snow, it's pretty when it's a dusting that melts by the afternoon, but when you have to bust out the snow plow it sucks! :mug:

Any gauge with correct size screw fitting and similar scale should work on your regulator. There are usually lots of choices on fleebay. While you're at it might want to get another one for spunding.

All of the low pressure gauges on my Taprite, Chudnows and Micromatic regs use 1/4" MPT, RHT, so that one shown should work.
I actually like how clean and well-marked that gauge looks, as it's not festooned with multiple scales :)

Cheers!

All of the low pressure gauges on my Taprite, Chudnows and Micromatic regs use 1/4" MPT, RHT, so that one shown should work.
I actually like how clean and well-marked that gauge looks, as it's not festooned with multiple scales :)

Cheers!

i'll order it!

as it's not festooned with multiple scales :)

the way i like my hydro's! i liked that as well..

Back