Keg foam question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joewalla88

Reaction score
So, I've been kegging for a while now, but this past year I've had an issue pop up a couple times that I just can't figure out. Once in a while I'll have a keg that does this thing, where everytime I pour a beer I start off normal than just starts pouring straight foam for a couple seconds and then back to normal. It's really weird and I don't know what's causing it. Any ideas? Thanks.

What is your beer line ID and length, and roughly how many ounces do you pour before the foamy burpage happens?

Cheers!
I think the ID is 3/8, and length is probably about 2 ft? I get about an ounce or two then it starts foaming. The weird this is that it isn't burping, it's like a smooth transition from beer to foam, and back to beer. Its weird and it's wasting a lot of beer I think.

Last edited:
A couple of feet of 3/8" ID line holds ~1.5 ounces of fluid, which fits the start of your scenario. But my expectation was the foam would be at the keg end of the line and perhaps include the long dip tube volume, with the driver being outgassing from temperature cycling (which is a thing), but it sounds like there's more foam involved than I'd have thought.

Anyway...as a fridge or keezer warms up to where it eventually triggers the compressor, the beer warms up and which causes some CO2 to break out of solution. If that CO2 isn't absorbed again it'll form pockets in the beer line which can in turn cause foam during dispensing. But usually that's pretty brief - certainly not in the "wasting a lot of beer" scale.

Just on a hunch, you might think about replacing the small O-ring that is under the flange on the long (beer) dip tube. If that O-ring has a nick or surface crack it could allow pressurized CO2 in the keg head space to be injected into the beer stream under the Out post. It's possible you have a really slight case of that phenomenon that could account for the foam...

Cheers!

A couple of feet of 3/8" ID line holds ~1.5 ounces of fluid, which fits the start of your scenario. But my expectation was the foam would be at the keg end of the line and perhaps include the long dip tube volume, with the driver being outgassing from temperature cycling (which is a thing), but it sounds like there's more foam involved than I'd have thought.

Anyway...as a fridge or keezer warms up to where it eventually triggers the compressor, the beer warms up and which causes some CO2 to break out of solution. If that CO2 isn't absorbed again it'll form pockets in the beer line which can in turn cause foam during dispensing. But usually that's pretty brief - certainly not in the "wasting a lot of beer" scale.

Just on a hunch, you might think about replacing the small O-ring that is under the flange on the long (beer) dip tube. If that O-ring has a nick or surface crack it could allow pressurized CO2 in the keg head space to be injected into the beer stream under the Out post. It's possible you have a really slight case of that phenomenon that could account for the foam...

Cheers!
That's some good information. Thanks for your help.

2 feet of 3/8" ID is the epitome of a foamy pouring system. That line should be about 8-10 feet of SMALLER 3/16" ID line.
That's probably true. Maybe I'll go get some new hose and hook that up. My only confusion is I've had this set up for like 5+ years and it just started doing these weird pours. Thinking it's a keg side issue makes sense, because it doesn't always happen, sp maybe there's an issue with this one keg. Hose is cheap though, so maybe I'll upgrade that and get some new dip tube gaskets too.

it just started doing these weird pours

after 5 years, I would *DEFINITELY* think you are in the market for @day_trippr advice to replace all O-rings, especially the one under the Dip Tubes (requires removing the posts). And little cracks, as may happen with time, will lead to foamaliciousness.

after 5 years, I would *DEFINITELY* think you are in the market for @day_trippr advice to replace all O-rings, especially the one under the Dip Tubes (requires removing the posts). And little cracks, as may happen with time, will lead to foamaliciousness.
Yeah, I need to get some other sizes anyway, so maybe I'll just order some of the variety packs.

Back