Flow rates and ball valve's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arla

Reaction score
Looking at my chugger pump, it says not to restrict the flow into it, and if you need to throttle flow have a ball valve on the output not the input.

For a standard 3-piece ball-valve, is the maximum flow tubing size 1/2" seems like it would be since the threads are 1/2" NPT (I may be reading far too much into this).

Trying to determine what nipples to put on things as I move forwards, I measured last night and found I appear to have some threaded 1/4" ID nipples, and some 5/16" ID nipples, nothing bigger, so I feel like I need to get a 1/2" ID nipple, but maybe I'm missing something?

Chugger normally recommends that you try to at least match to the size of the inlet. So if your inlet is 1/2", then ideally you would want to have a full port 1/2" inside diameter fitting connected to it.

Right, I guess what I'm trying to make sure I understand, is if that's coming from a 3-piece ball-valve, is that also considered a 1/2", I've got no idea (I guess I could take mine apart tonight and measure the ball part to see how big that opening is, just haven't done that yet).

Right, I guess what I'm trying to make sure I understand, is if that's coming from a 3-piece ball-valve, is that also considered a 1/2", I've got no idea (I guess I could take mine apart tonight and measure the ball part to see how big that opening is, just haven't done that yet).
Yea, if the ball valve threads onto the pump then the flow should be fine. If you are putting barbs on the pump, I would just make sure those are atleast 1/2".

Back